[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Listening to music while studying How are you meant to hear
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 6
File: 1441944892677.jpg (435 KB, 1280x1280) Image search: [Google]
1441944892677.jpg
435 KB, 1280x1280
>Listening to music while studying

How are you meant to hear yourself think
>>
>>7714306
it helps if you have ADHD
>>
>>7714319
I already have trouble concentrating, and music only makes it worse.
>>
>>7714306
>playing music with lyrics while studying
>Not being able to filter out the lyrics if it does have them and just have it as background noise
>>
I listen to instrumental music when I study

Related, I am annoyed by people who think "instrumental" means music containing non-electronic instruments, not without lyrics
>>
File: 1425696997576.jpg (6 KB, 212x250) Image search: [Google]
1425696997576.jpg
6 KB, 212x250
you should be listening to classical music to enrich your brain, plebeian.
>>
>>7714306
If I'm doing anything math related, I can listen to music normally, but if it is anything else, I have to have silence.
>>
>>7714331
wut?

I've literally never heard of someone that thinks instrumental means played with traditional instruments only lol.

you made my day
>>
>>7714335
>you should be listening to classical music to enrich your brain, plebeian.
Nigger please.
Start with only those lucky enough to be born into the proper aristocratic families.
Now eliminate all the girls.
Of those remaining, a tiny fraction study music.
From this tiny pool are drawn a series of alleged "geniuses".
Or....
Modern day, anyone with a pulse can pursue music, but only the top 1% (from a pool of billions) are good enough to make a living at it.
Tell me again why classical is better, and not just pretentious bullshit?
>>
Its your own fault if you use loud, complicated, or lyrical music for something like that.
>>
>>7714336
Same
>>
I study to metal
>>
>>7714306
It has to be a consistent instrumental. I'd love to study in silence but people are loud assholes. There are very few quiet places to actually study.
>>
>>7714349
>taking an obvious joke seriously
Anyway there were plenty of shitty composers back in ye olde days of Beethoven and shit. It's just that no one cares about them today because Beethoven was the guy who innovated and they were pretty much just copying the current music fads much like talentless artists do today.
>>
>>7714381
At home or at library.

Myself, I seek out a study room at my university's math department although I am a [spoiler]physicist[/spoiler].
The place is almost without exception empty, and on the rare occasion somebody else happens to be there, my peace is undisturbed because mathematicians only seem to communicate via the blackboard.
>>
>>7714349
>implying guys like mozart, beethoven, haydn, bach etc.... were aristocrats
>implying musical culture wasn't killed by recorded music

As to why it is better I'd advice you use your ears and your brain, but considering your pretentious post that is foolhardy...

>Modern day, anyone with a pulse can pursue mathematics, but only the top 0.1% (from a pool of billions) are good enough to make a living at it.

Fixed. Now it proves that Euler was mediocre right? Same argument goes for anyone doing anything before 1900.

Nigger stop being an idiot and use your own brain instead of asking ppl to do your thinking for you.
>>
where can i buy that dog's hat?
>>
>he still listens to his internal narrator
>he doesn't immaterialize and drift to spectral spheres of knowledge
>>
>>7714306
No lyrics
>>
>>7714324
Only particular ensembles actually have a beneficial effedt on one's brain. Something about the patterns. Do they contain a logical consistency? Or does it resonate with nature? Either way it's about how well formulated it is.
>>
>>7714324
Baroque music often has a relaxing effect. It's been antithetical to distraction for me in the past.
>>
>>7714381
Ear plugs you autistic retard
>>
File: folder.jpg (543 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
folder.jpg
543 KB, 600x600
It's gotta be Mingus though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17KTUqLyNcU
>>
File: 1449424882987.png (30 KB, 1404x900) Image search: [Google]
1449424882987.png
30 KB, 1404x900
>>7714306
ackshually, varying your study habits improves your ability to retain and recall knowledge better that traditional study methods. This includes listening to music, studying in different places, and frequently taking breaks to do or study something else. I should no, I red a buk on hoe to lern :^)
>>
File: 1449691387520.jpg (313 KB, 4685x2457) Image search: [Google]
1449691387520.jpg
313 KB, 4685x2457
>>
>>7714306
>hearing yourself think
I've ascended past using words to think. It's inefficient and slow. Only plebs have a voice in their head.
>>
>>7714319
I have ADHD and it does not help. If I hear something really good I just stand up and start thinking about me being super cool in the future.
>>
>>7714306
>tfw can't focus without music anymore when studying something boring
I brought it upon myself
>>
File: 1385151294164.png (454 KB, 557x480) Image search: [Google]
1385151294164.png
454 KB, 557x480
>>7715282
>>
>>7714379
Same, but it's only when I do math
>>
I'm in a dorm and a lot of shmucks walk around whistling and talking like no one else is in the building. I used to try to drown them out with ambient music, but even that was too distracting. Now I just sit next to my fan and let that drone them out
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.