[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Astronomers Find New Object, Possible Super-Earth In Our Solar System
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 4
File: exoplanet.jpg (57 KB, 680x383) Image search: [Google]
exoplanet.jpg
57 KB, 680x383
ASTRONOMERS BTFO
\SCI\ BTFO
THE WHOLE WIDE WORLD BTFO
http://www.forbes.com/sites/briankoberlein/2015/12/10/astronomers-find-new-object-possible-super-earth-in-our-solar-system/
>>
>>7713150
Chill the fuck out. Scientists know barely anything about this.
>>
>>7713150
Phew, I was worried Nibiru wasn't showing up
>>
Nemesis!
>>
>>7713150
Harvesters are here.
>>
NEW OBJECT FOUND POSSIBLE SUPER EARTH*
*No gurantee that found object resembles earth. Data points to ball of 80% rock and 20% ice
>>
>>7713195
Fuck those Black moon faggots
>>
Pretty hype. Just on the basis of discovering a new large rocky planet in Sol, not fantasies about a second Earth.

I'd say this should be a sticky, but /sci/ hardly needs stickies.
>>
PLANET X CONFIRMED
>>
>forbes
And I also remember hearing something about a gas giant in the oort cloud a while ago.
Is this seriously legit?
A new(sizeable) rocky planet in sol would be fucking amazing and incredible, and hype is an evil succubus who exists to suck away your soul.
>>
If it's really 4 light years away then I doubt we'll ever reach it.
>>
>>7713348
Did you fucking read the article. They say it's only 1.5 AU away. That's nothing compared to light years
>>
>>7713352
it is 300 AU. If it exists it's in one heck of an inclined orbit, which is gonna make getting to it difficult.
>>
>>7713352
>>7713385
I was about to say THERE'S NO WAY IN FUCKING HELL THAT THING'S 1.5AU AWAY.
>>
>>7713385

Nuclear engines, m8.
>>
>>7713398
Multiple nuclear fusion engines m8

>implying we can't create a black hole with trash and other matter and travel along its gravitational pull outside of its event horizon to slingshot us faster
>>
>super-earth with 42 degree inclination
:^)
>>
File: WxPl4.jpg (40 KB, 637x440) Image search: [Google]
WxPl4.jpg
40 KB, 637x440
>>7713417
>>
>>7713385
That's still 35-40 years no?
>>
>>7713150
So they found one of the two planets believed to be past Pluto huh?
>>
>>7713284

came here to post this, glad to see someone else already did it
>>
>>7713150
>astronomers btfo
>object found by astronomers
>>
>>7713492
Actually lolled
>>
Mike Brown is damage controlling hard.
>>
BLOWN THE ABSOLUTE FUCK OUT BLOWN THE ABSOLUTE FUCK OUT BLOWN THE ABSOLUTE FUCK OUTBLOWN THE ABSOLUTE FUCK OUTBLOWN THE ABSOLUTE FUCK OUTBLOWN THE ABSOLUTE FUCK OUTBLOWN THE ABSOLUTE FUCK OUTBLOWN THE ABSOLUTE FUCK OUTBLOWN THE ABSOLUTE FUCK OUTBLOWN THE ABSOLUTE FUCK OUTBLOWN THE ABSOLUTE FUCK OUTBLOWN THE ABSOLUTE FUCK OUTBLOWN THE ABSOLUTE FUCK OUTBLOWN THE ABSOLUTE FUCK OUTBLOWN THE ABSOLUTE FUCK OUTBLOWN THE ABSOLUTE FUCK OUTBLOWN THE ABSOLUTE FUCK OUTBLOWN THE ABSOLUTE FUCK OUTBLOWN THE ABSOLUTE FUCK OUTBLOWN THE ABSOLUTE FUCK OUTBLOWN THE ABSOLUTE FUCK OUTBLOWN THE ABSOLUTE FUCK OUT
>>
>>7713492
Fucking magnets, how do they work
>>
/sci on suicide watch
>>
File: drink.jpg (48 KB, 344x345) Image search: [Google]
drink.jpg
48 KB, 344x345
How come our system is so filled with planets? All other systems seem to be pretty empty in that regard.
>>
>>7713705
I'd imagine it's pretty hard to see a planet unless you're looking at a sun and see a dot move across
>>
>>7713150
This just proves how little 'scientists' actually know.
>>
>>7713712

Everyone is proven wrong at some point and there's always new things to discover.

That's what makes science great.
>>
>>7713737
>Damage control
/sci/ was all "hurr theres nothing out there, retarded idea!" and then when they get BTFO "t-this is just how science works! I knew we could be wrong the whole time!"
>>
>Astronomers make potential astronomical discovery.
>ASTRONOMERS BTFO

Hmmm.
>>
>>7713150
Could someone please post a non-retarded source for this doubtful discovery?
>>
>>7713756
http://arxiv.org/abs/1512.02652
>>
>>7713758
>http://arxiv.org/abs/1512.02652
Thanks.
>>
>>7713758
>it is either an extreme TNO, a Super-Earth or a very cool brown dwarf in the outer realm of the solar system.
Wow they think it's that big? The hype is real.
>>
What the fuck do we name these ones?
>>
>>7713749
That's because 4chan is retarded. Scientists in NASA are not.
>>
Large object beyond pluto was speculated for for a while due to abnormality in comet trajectories. It was thought a gas giant first but ruled out because gas giants, er, "glow". Thus big rocky planet was left out as possibility.
>>
>>7713705
it's not, it's just the closest (hurrrr) and most studied (durrrrr)
>>
>>7713150
>An increasing number of physicists, Ellis and Silk observed, have become strongly convinced of the viability of theories that have no empirical confirmation. This trend is most pronounced in the quest for a theory of quantum gravity – notably string theory – and in cosmology where theories for the early universe give rise to a multiverse. Why, they ask, do scientists trust theories that have not been experimentally tested? Worse, in some cases, these theories cannot even been tested in principle. Is this still science?

Into the trash it goes...

The source is fucking retarded!
>>
Is there a way for it to have a heat source that far out? geothermal heating? tidal heating of moon/binary system? I ask because what if that is where the aliens are coming from? this would put to bed FTL arguments against UFOs. Would answer a lot of questions, the big eyes because not much light out there, the short stature because super Earth gravity. They havent stayed because they cant handle the solar radiation this close.
>>
>>7713799
What? That's exactly what's wrong with science today. Instead of working empirically and collecting actual data on the universe and subsequently building models based on that data most scientists spend their time with self-referential models and sometimes even hampering progress by denouncing the need of empirical research because of the dogmatic stance that there can't be practical discoveries that are deemed unlikely by theoretical science wrong.
>>
>>7713705
I'm not entirely sure but I imagine it has something to do with observation bias. Most of the exoplanets we've found seem to be very close to their own parent star. I imagine it's much harder to detect planets that are farther away, something beyond the orbit of Jupiter for instance, and so a lot of these systems look pretty empty.
>>
>>7713705
>All other systems seem to be pretty empty in that regard.
That's like the drunk who's dropped his wallet wondering why so many of the coins are under the streetlight.
>>
>>7713852
Out of touch with nature in todays hyper technological world. They have forgotten that science is observing what already exists not creating it on paper.
>>
>>7713417
>event horizon to slingshot us faster
Faster for them maybe. Fucking time dilation.
>>
>>7713417
Yes just let us get out our valkyrie engine out.
>>
>>7713705
I hope you arent serious nigger
>>
THEY ARE HUNGRY
THEY ARE COMING
THEY ARE HUNGRY
THEY ARE COMING
THEY ARE HUNGRY
THEY ARE COMING
>>
>>7713705
We're not actually sure that's true. Our detection techniques are biased towards systems with large, close-in planets; planets like Earth, Mars, and Venus are both relatively small and relatively far away and so are difficult to detect.

Also, because far gas giants like Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, and Neptune have such long orbits, they'd be nearly impossible to detect with our current methods. It takes 12 years for Jupiter to make one orbit, and it is rather far out - because our current detection methods rely on the cyclical perturbations in brightness (due to planets passing in front of the star) or radial velocity (caused by the star wobbling slightly as it is pulled towards the planet) caused by a planet going around its star, we simply haven't been observing long enough to detect such long-period planets.
>>
>>7713852
I bet someone said this exact thing about Einstein's relativity theory before Eddington figured out a way to test it.

Theoretical models are fine idiots, but at the fringe science domain it isn't easy to devise conclusive experiments to test them out
>>
>>7713737
and when aliens are finally accepted as having visited us, /sci/ is gunno be all like 'oh-oh-oh isn't science great? we ALWAYS discover new things!11 I called you a retard before but now I'm totally on board!!! SCIENCE!!!'
>>
maybe it's an ayylien ship in the alpha centauri system
>>
>>7713692
His twitter is great, you can feel how outraged he is that someone might have beaten him to the punch by a fluke.
>>
It's Hitler
>>
>>7714806

He must be really cold out there.
>>
>>7714806
You can do it addie, I believe in you
>>
>>7713150
It's Mondas!!!
>>
>>7713699
Magnets don't do work
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.