[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What the hell is "real analysis" and "calculus"?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: boys_bryant-kusner[1].png (148 KB, 530x532) Image search: [Google]
boys_bryant-kusner[1].png
148 KB, 530x532
What the hell is "real analysis" and "calculus"? In my country, we have "mathematical analysis I-III" courses, where we deal with differential and integral calculus (single and multivariable), metric spaces, infinite series and basics of vector analysis and ODE (not in this order). From the beginning everything is done in a rigorous manner with proofs. My assumption is that "calculus" is just analysis without proofs and "real analysis" = enter epsilon-delta. Am I Correct ?
>>
>>7711942
The courses you described are calculus courses, not analysis.
>>
>>7711942
Where are you form?
>>
>>7711942
Ayyyyy lmao Real Analysis is stuff with sequences, limits, compactness, limsup/liminf, series and all that jazz. Sorry I'm drunk I can't really explain it that well, but basically real analysis is harder than your usual stuff breh.
>>
Basically Calculus is what people in Europe do in high school. Pure calculations with no proofs.

In Real Analysis everything gets proven from axioms.
>>
>>7711942
Calculus is the study of calculators, similar to how METOERology is the study of meteors.

Real analysis is just so you know your getting the real deal. Some universities have offered "Analysis I" and the students were disappointed because it turned out to be fake.
>>
yeah sorta op sweet mani 2bh
>>
>>7712216
Please
>>
>>7711942
"Analysis" can refer to many different things at different departments in the same country, whether what you described, graduate level measure theory, introductions to hilbert space or smooth manifolds, etc. "Calculus" can also refer to a lot of different levels. It's really just semantics.

On /sci/ usually by calculus we mean something like stewart and by analysis we mean something like the first eight chapters of baby rudin.
>>
>>7711942
You are essentially right. I understand that in some countries, the first couple years of university is done in highschool. If that is the case for you, it's not any different except in my case, I've spent two of those highschool years at university.
>>
File: cwutudid.jpg (12 KB, 235x215) Image search: [Google]
cwutudid.jpg
12 KB, 235x215
>>7712216
>meteorology
>study of meteors
the depth of jokage
>>
>>7711942
In the U.S:
calc 1 limits, sequences, fundamental theory of calculus

calc II limits, sequences, basic integration techniques

calc III multivariable calculus

ODE is a separate class because it is so useful in practically every field of research

Analysis classes are more in depth in topics covered in the previous 3 calculus classes

Partial differential equations covers the rest
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.