[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/his/ Physics
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3
Hello /sci/entists,

We're having a discussion about physics on /his/. Was wondering if anyone here could help. Thanks.

>>>/his/374475
>>
>>7708845

Object with greater mass will fall faster to a point until it reaches terminal velocity, after that point it's just a matter of time until the lighter object reaches it (assuming they're similar in all other aspects except mass).

I'm no physicist though (analytical chemist), just theorizing.
>>
>>7708845
This is true. Compare a 1 oz coin to a 1 oz feather falling and it's pretty fucking obvious which one will fall quicker.
>>
>>7708899
But the difference WON'T be because of the different mass, it will be the different shape
>>
>>7708880
>>7708845
>>7708899

http://www.physicsclassroom.com/class/newtlaws/Lesson-3/Free-Fall-and-Air-Resistance
>>
That thread is making me drink.
>>
>>7708972

I was already drunk when I came to this thread.
>>
>>7708845
like, are you guys retarded?
>>
Jesus, you /his/ anons are stupid af senpai.

Two objects of different mass and similar shape are dropped from the same height from the ground. Both objects will strike the ground at the same time. However, the object with larger mass will strike the ground with a greater force than the object with less mass. This is no matter the gravitational force as long as g>0.

If you were to compare a bowling ball with a feather, that is a different situation. This is due to the feather's shape, allowing the feather to resist air more than the bowling ball.

If you were to take the feather and condense it into the same shape and density as the bowling ball, than it would fall just as fast as the bowling ball, but the bowling ball will hit the ground with a greater force than the condensed feather.
>>
>>7709021
> but the bowling ball will hit the ground with a greater force than the condensed feather.
You fucked up
>>
>>7709021
If the feather and the ball had the same shape and density, then you'd just have two identical bowling balls.
>>
>>7709021
>>7709026
>>7709032

> if you took the feather and condensed it into a solid, spherical shape with of the same mass as the feather before condensing it...

I can do all these things with numbers, but I can't make 1 and 1 of english.
>>
>>7709021

A heavier object has a greater force downward because it has more mass being pulled towards the Earth. This added force however is cancelled out by the fact that that added mass makes it harder to accelerate the object. A lighter object is pulled with less force but resists acceleration less because it has less mass. That is why two objects fall at the same rate in a vacuum.

Add in drag force however and you it upsets that perfect symmetry. Both have the same drag force but the lighter object with it's weaker pull downward has less force downward to spare. So a light object being pulled down by a force of 3 newtons reaches a terminal velocity when the drag reaches 3 newtons upward. A heavy object of 7 newtons downward reaches a terminal velocity of 7 newtons. Drag is dictated by velocity, so a higher drag for the heavier object means it must be moving faster than the lighter object, it has a higher terminal velocity.
>>
>>7708845
Hey, it's pretty cool there is a /his/ board, I wasn't aware of that. And the discourse there seems to be pretty nice. I will definitely check it out.

>>7708920 answers your question

Also check:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5C5_dOEyAfk
>>
The force that an object experiences due to air resistance depends in a very complicated way upon its shape, so I wouldn't guarantee that the statement is always correct.

But for idealized cases, the mass of the object itself is unimportant in determining the drag. That means that, yes, the statement is technically correct.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drag_%28physics%29 and look for the statement "When an object falls from rest, its velocity will be". You'll see that there's a mass term in there.

However, this term is often small, because drag is small until you get near terminal velocity, so for many cases, it's still correct to say that two objects of the same shape but different mass fall at the same rate, understanding that the word "same" means "within experimental error."
>>
Holy shit /his/ is fucking stupid.
>>
Someone nuke /his/ please.
>>
File: Picard facepalm.jpg (13 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
Picard facepalm.jpg
13 KB, 300x300
>>7708845
>the city of /his/
>>
>>7708845
>Aristotle's ideas are now absolute.

Yes, except for fucking all of statics you fucking moron. Fuck.
>>
File: 1443387073152.jpg (45 KB, 728x635) Image search: [Google]
1443387073152.jpg
45 KB, 728x635
>>7708880
>>
>>7708845
Same shape, different weight, in a vacuum: hit the ground at the same time regardless of drop height

Same shape, different weight, in a fluid (air): object with more mass will hit the ground first.

Think drag as a sort of friction force, always acting against direction of motion. This force is based on shape (and surface texture etc), but not mass. However, force due to gravity is based on mass. So both objects have the same drag force, but the heavier object will have a higher net downward force, so will accelerate (and therefor fall) faster.

Terminal velocity is simply when gravity is equal to the drag force. Net force equals zero, so the object has a constant velocity. A heavier object will therefor have a higher terminal velocity (assuming the same shape and surface).

And easy way to test this is to fill a balloon with water, fill another with air. Fill them to the same size and shape and do the test. You know just by thinking about it what would happen if dropped in your backyard. But they will both fall equally fast in a perfect vacuum.

If you change the shape or surface at all, though, the above statements still apply, it's just not easy to know without testing/calculating what the drag forces will be.
>>
welp, now i know to never waste my time on /his/.... full of fucking retards. holy shit.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.