[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So whats the science behind dreams?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (883 KB, 1066x1500) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
883 KB, 1066x1500
Do they actually mean anything or psychologically prepare you for something? Or are dreams just the brain's way of fucking with you when you wake up just when you're about to have your first kiss?
>>
I'd wager they're just another means of data processing - its purely anecdotal evidence, sure, but I find that I dream about things quite a bit after I've read/studied about them.
>>
>>7708751
There is evidence now that dreams are a form of learning that takes place while you sleep, strengthening connections in memory.

Also why does everyone use the same picture of Freud in every /psy/ post? Let me guess, it was the first thing on google.
>>
>>7708751
Freud was a deeply delusional psychopath trying to make his neuroses the world's. Put no faith in anything he had to say about anything
>>
>>7709805
This. He was basically a professional in psychological projection.
>>
File: 1412361854410.jpg (38 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1412361854410.jpg
38 KB, 600x600
It's an enigmatic field of study but the theory that dreams process subconscious data and strengthen relevant neural connections is accepted by many.
>>
File: William_James_b1842c.jpg (111 KB, 540x699) Image search: [Google]
William_James_b1842c.jpg
111 KB, 540x699
William James is the true father of psychology.
>>
Defragmenting the files in your brain
>>
>>7709873
Basically this, and also organising new data for quick retrieval in the future (or 'search indexing')
>>
>>7708751

They're God's phone home routine where all your sins are uploaded and graces are downloaded. The imagery is subliminal advertising/messages and shared dreams are just load balancing during heavy traffic.
>>
>>7708835
>>7709873
This is why I suspect caffeine is making me dumber, cause you dream less when you take caffeine
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.