[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is it so important to make sure tuna do not go extinct in
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2
File: TUNATUNA.jpg (315 KB, 2000x1000) Image search: [Google]
TUNATUNA.jpg
315 KB, 2000x1000
Why is it so important to make sure tuna do not go extinct in the wild?
>>
Seems like we could just breed all of them in farms?
>>
It's not as if they're a keystone species in their environment and fill a very specific ecological role.
Nahh, that couldn't be it.
>>
>>7706649
They're tasty
>>
>>7706655 So what is wrong with farms of tuna and never even touching the ones in the wild. I'm finding this hard to put into words. We have two completely separate populations of tuna and we only slaughter the ones in the farms. Is that even feasible?
>>
>>7706674 Sounds hard to get that started
>>
>>7706649
it should be important that no species go extinct because of humans. ignorance driving it is one thing, but to knowingly allow a species to go extinct is sick, and if that attitude prevails then future generations will exist in a living hell.

>>7706650
that's a very selfish attitude. as if anything that doesn't benefit you directly doesn't have a right to exist.

if we drive enough species to extinction we'll surely join them sooner or later.

in the shorter term, do you want your grandchildren asking you why the world you're leaving them is such a shithole?

humans are better than bacteria. we don't just consume and multiply and until all resources are gone.
>>
>>7706682
I was thinking something along the lines of letting the tuna in the wild do their thing and have our own farms of them. Then we never touch the ones in the wild, so their population stabilizes. Is that a convoluted idea to have? Only using the ones in the farm for food?
>>
>>7706700
no, thats cool. i hope thats whats what ends up happening.
>>
>>7706682
>>7706682
>/sci/
>grand children
Topjej
>>
Thank you all
>>
>>7706649
Humans are just now having to make some ridiculously tough choices they never had to make in hundreds of thousands of years of evolution. We didnt evolve to have to think about these things, but the decisions we make now will determine the course of the next hundred thousand years, like never before. This freagin internet thing for example is huge. When I was a kid it didnt exist. Now people fromall over the world are sharing ideas instantly and we all know more than ever possible in the past. Its up to us what we do with the information.
>>
>>7706682
>humans are better than bacteria
We like to think so.
"You move to an area, and you multiply and multiply
until every natural resource is consumed, and the only
way you can survive is to spread to another area.
There is another organism on this planet that follows
the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus."
— Hugo Weaving (as Agent Smith), "The Matrix" (1999)
>>
>>7706723

Even as a kid I knew that quote was retarded. Humans are literally the only animals that DO intentionally regulate themselves.
>>
>>7706682
>humans are better than bacteria. we don't just consume and multiply and until all resources are gone.
Er... Actually....
>>
>>7706728
>some humans intentionally regulate themselves
FTFY
>>
>>7706728
You're still a child.
>>
>>7706738

Yeah, some. As opposed to none. There are no environmentalist squirrels.

>>7706744

Ouch, man.
>>
>>7706728
Although we change those regulations based on our needs, so we end up being pretty selfish.
>>
>>7706649
to make sure we can feed them to people like you who'll gradually get more retarded because of mercury-poisoning.
>>
File: FDHJDS.png (103 KB, 500x419) Image search: [Google]
FDHJDS.png
103 KB, 500x419
>>7706649
>>
>>7706720
Why kill ofcourse. What els would be as fun? You need to have fun in you life senpai we are not robots....
>>
>>7706676
>Sounds hard to get that started
The free market won't allow it.
Tuna farmers would have to compete with fresh-caught wild tuna.
It works for shrimp farmers because it's cheap to feed shrimp, but tuna eat smaller fish.
Tuna farmers would have to grow feeder fish, then feed them to the tuna.
Cheaper to catch wild tuna.

>>7706750
>There are no environmentalist squirrels.
THIS
Ya'll treehugers can go fuck a thornbush.
You look down on humanity as a whole for being short-sighted and irresponsible, but the human race is the most thoughtful, environmentally responsible species that has ever lived.
Sorry if that doesn't serve your narcissistic emotional needs to feel superior by insulting the rest of the species.

>>7706649
>make sure tuna do not go extinct in the wild?
P.S. Is this really a thing?
>>
>>7706783
>fuck you, environmentalists
>we're better because we have environmentalists

mixed messages from you
>>
>>7706790
Sorry if you can't comprehend a clear messages here's the tl;dr:
Even mainstream humanity is putting more effort into caring the environment than any other species ever has, but SOME people are complaining we aren't doing enough because they like to feel smugly superior, feeling better about themselves because they manufacture reasons to look down on others.

English not your first language?
>>
>>7706773
fair enough. I know what you're talking about. But heres a warning from an old fuck. As you get older the desire to kill decreases, and you actually begin to regret actions you never imagined you would, and the regrets begin to eat away at your soul. And i can imagine with enough regrets you either go insane or try to forget any way you can with booze or drugs. But you can never forget. I wish someone told me that when I was 16 but probably I wouldnt have listened anyway.
>>
>>7706750
>some. As in "relatively few".
FTFY2
>>
>>7706800
whose to say that without people pushing environmental ideas 50 years ago we would still be
> putting more effort into caring the environment than any other species ever has

I think its not so much where we are but where we want to go. People keep saying the right in canada is more left than the right in the US but that's bullshit. Its not a complete picture. You vote right you're pushing your society to the right, it doesn't matter how far left or right you are at this instant - its about where you want to be in the future. So when environmentalists push their ideas its because they'd like to see more respect for the environment in the future. And essentially when you put down environmentalists you're pushing for less respect for the environment in the future.

So basically your views are contradictory. You like the respect we have for the environment now, but you are against attitudes that gave us that respect to begin with. Makes no sense.
>>
>>7706827
correction
*right in canada is more left than the LEFT in the US
>>
>>7706817
I think you mean
>your testosterone decreases and you become a whiny cunt, not much better than a woman.
>>
>>7706649
If tuna goes extinct that just means they weren't good enough to survive
>>
>>7706861
Let's kill literally everything.

It's only a matter of time before we reach the depths of the marianas trench and the depths of the poles. Soon even they will not escape.
>>
>>7706827
You make the mistake of thinking left wing "environmentalists" actually care about the environment
In reality they are just a buncha commies who push "environmentalism" as a justification for greater control over everything.

Also because they wish to destroy the economies/industries of the west. Since they are traitors.

Once upon a time it was conservatives who cared for the environment.
>>
>>7706878

This is an elaborate caricature of what conservatives believe, right?
>>
>>7706817
>feeling so guilty about killing a fish that you go insane

how retarded are you
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.