[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
At which point math stops being just plug n' chug?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2
File: 500px-CollatzFractal.png (164 KB, 500x300) Image search: [Google]
500px-CollatzFractal.png
164 KB, 500x300
At which point math stops being just plug n' chug?
>>
when you graduate from middle school
>>
When you reach Teichmuller theory.
>>
>>7706645
>At which point math stops being just plug n' chug?

If you're smart, it never is.
>>
>>7706668

shut up you stupid faggot. everyone has to learn the calc sequence
>>
>>7706645
After you finish the typical Calc1&2&3,DiffEq,LinAlg sequence.
>>
During a powercut
>>
>>7707785
>not going to a uni where diff eq requires analysis
>>
>>7706645
When you realize that it isn't real yet is more beautiful than reality and you decide to give up on the Real world in favor of a Discrete mental universe.
>>
when you have to iterate or discretize a problem to solve it.
numerical solution methods are uncertain and therefore results have to be treated with caution.
someone here using aspen or chemcad ? :D
>>
>>7706645
Triple integrals
>>
>>7707785
We proved most theorems in those courses.
>>
>>7707781
>>7707785

So what?
If you think that there aren't interesting, fun 1st year university maths questions, or even interesting, fun highschool maths questions, you must not be very bright.
>>
>>7708009
Proofs are literally the most boring parts of mathematics.
>>
I'm a math babby -- only needed calc's 1-3, up to vector and multivariate, with diff.eq (for my minor). But it never felt like a plug and chug to me. I guess if you get through the courses by memorizing certain problems and processes, but I always felt like even the modest amount of math I took required creativity and a true understanding of the ideas.

Like a question about solving for some element of a helicoid with defining coords: you build the machine to solve the problem with your own set of "tools." A lot of the problems have numerous methods of computation. At least that's how I looked at it.
>>
>>7708030
Proofs are the mathematical part of mathematics. Everything else is physics
>>
>>7708030
Engineering student detected.

Mathematical proofs were probably the main thing that drove me to completely fuck engineering and study pure mathematics instead.

There is something just intrinsically beautiful in the fact that being a mere human, with the tool of mathematics, you can create absolute truths that should only be the realm of the gods.

[scispoiler] It also makes me feel smart and better than you when I can come up with a proof without needing to read the book[/scispoiler]
>>
>>7708030

retard detected
>>
>>7708061
>There is something just intrinsically beautiful in the fact that being a mere human, with the tool of mathematics, you can create absolute truths that should only be the realm of the gods.

implying the most fundamental concepts in mathematics aren't just agreements
implying there are gods
implying you know what the fuck you're talking about
>>
when you choose
>>
>>7708056
That's stupid.

Problem solving is the fun part of mathematics.

It's more fun to find the answer to a question that you don't know than be asked to come up with a justification for some final result the question setter gives you.
>>
>>7708409
>Problem solving is the fun part of mathematics.

Engineer detected.
>>
>>7706645
when it's not applied to physics anymore
>>
File: image.jpg (63 KB, 500x641) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
63 KB, 500x641
>>7708061
> a mere human, with the tool of mathematics, you can create absolute truths that should only be the realm of the gods.
>absolute truths
>absolute
>truths
I have no words
>>
>>7708061
>absolute truths
The axioms are wrong.
>proof me wrong
>protip, you can't
>>
>>7708476
Right right it's soooooo much more interesting and fun to prove the chapman komolgorov equation than it is to say find the expected number of clumps resulting when 100 different cars drive down a highway equally spaced then all accelerate to their top speed until they bump into a car with a slower top speed in front of them at which point they slow to the top speed of the car in front of them and form a clump.
>>
>>7707868
>>7708009
Here it is you take the calc,diff eq, linalg for scientists type classes and then you can take Analysis, Abstract Algebra, Proof based Linear Algebra, Proof based Diff Eq, etc.
>>
>>7709007
>stop liking what I dont like.
Both things are good and mentally rewarding. But you must be fucking awful at proofs if you do not understand the sensation after doing one really neatly by yourself and have a professor check it just to boast yourself.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
If a post contains illegal content, please click on its [Report] button and follow the instructions.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need information for a Poster - you need to contact them.
This website shows only archived content and is not affiliated with 4chan in any way.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 1XVgDnu36zCj97gLdeSwHMdiJaBkqhtMK