[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Calc 1 student here. Final is in 6 hours. I could use more optimization
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: hw.jpg (122 KB, 670x503) Image search: [Google]
hw.jpg
122 KB, 670x503
Calc 1 student here. Final is in 6 hours. I could use more optimization practice. Does anyone know a resource for practice optimization problems (that have step-by-step solutions available)? Preferably a resource that has both easy and hard problems.
>>
>>7705936
take derivative
set to 0
check boundary conditions
>>
>>7705936
>Final is in 6 hours
If you haven't studied yet, you are fucked nigga
>>
>>7705942

This is what I do:

1. Find objective function
2. Identify constraints
3. Reduce objective function to one variable
4. Identify domain of objective function
5. Differentiate
6. Find critical numbers by setting to 0
7. Test critical numbers using on of:
a. closed interval method
b. 1st derivative test
c. 2nd derivative test
8. Answer

Hardest part is easily steps 1 and 2. Sometimes step 5 is tough if I have to differentiate something messy. The rest is easy.
>>
>>7705955

I did study. I'm in the top 5 of my class rn and I will probably get an A, so long as I get a little practice so I'm better at steps 1 and 2 as listed in >>7705962

Being able to find out the objective function and the constraint really don't feel like something I can practice tho. Being able to interpret a complicated word problem feels like one of those parts of math where skill is less receptive to practice and is more connected to God-given brainpower.
>>
>>7705971
The real problem is find the function and the boundary conditions. The next steps are trivial.
>>
>>7705979

Well I think what you're saying is a more concise explanation of the problem, but the steps I listed are the most useful in the context of a calc 1 class. Unless I'm not understanding what you mean.
>>
File: max_a_b.jpg (8 KB, 347x204) Image search: [Google]
max_a_b.jpg
8 KB, 347x204
>>7705936
Show that length a+b is at maximum for a=b.
Abbreviated solution on request.
>>
>>7706119
show solution pls
>>
>>7706119
where did you find this problem?
>>
>>7706595
It's how you prove square roots of arbitrary positive real numbers exist from the field axioms + geometry
>>
>>7705936
How'd the final go OP?
>>
>>7706119
solution pls
>>
Find the longest ladder than can pass through a right angled corner wirh lenght a and with b
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.