[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can anyone tell me why is my homemade electrolysis happening
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: DSC_0326.jpg (1009 KB, 3104x1746) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0326.jpg
1009 KB, 3104x1746
Can anyone tell me why is my homemade electrolysis happening so slowly? I've poured a metric fuckton of sugar and stirred vigorously, connected batteries ranging from 1.5 to 9 volts, got some good wires, and after an hour all I got is a 4mm bubble of gas and a very hot battery.
>>
>>7703594
>*salt
>>
bump for interest

as an anecdote, i once this this but instead of a battery i used cables straight from the outlet, shitload of salt and it got green in no time

this was 20 or more yrs ago though
>>
anyone?
>>
>>7703594
the electrode areas are too small
>>
>>7703594
>>7703721

also make them platnum
>>
>>7703594
waait...
how did you connect this? I see the green wire is on the - pole of one of the batteries, but where is the blue one connected?
>>
>>7703759
The blue one is connected to the negative pole via tape. Bubbles only appeared on the blue wire
>>
why the fuck are you using sugar ? It does not conduct a current as well as NaCl.
>>
>>7703768
Misspelled. English is not my first language but I did use salt.
>>
>>7703768
use Gatoradeā„¢ as it contains electrolytes :^)
>>
>>7703642
mustve been even longer ago if DC was coming out of the walls
>>
>>7703594
>battery
use a dc power source.
>>
>>7703840
But a battery is a power source... Isn't it? Also it's a cell in the picture
>>
>>7703825
You can do it with AC, and in fact get the right mix of H2 and O2 for maximum explosive effect.

Seems like a troll post, though. Something like 10 VAC is safer and more controlled (and won't trip your breaker).
>>
>>7703642
Doesnt work with ac fucktard. Also, you would blow the breaker/fuse.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.