[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I think I momentarily became a psychopath
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1
File: photo.jpg (33 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
photo.jpg
33 KB, 250x250
I was watching an episode of this miniseries on PBS called The Brain with Dr. Brian Eagleman. As you might have guessed, this is a program on neuroscience. The particular episode I watched took an aggressive stand against the notion of free will. By the end of it, I think my brain had a disconnect with its own fundamental sense of consciousness with many attendent effects.

Firstly, my environment expanded massively. This was my dad's house, something I lived in most of my life but now it was huge. Why? I suppose because the environment lost its sense of familiarity and the comfiness that comes with this. Now it was represented in its authentic dimensionality. Most important was in my room, I felt like I was towering over everything. Well this is as it should be, given I am 6'4. But I gathered by comparison it must have felt very claustrophobic in there before. I looked at some paintings in the house. For a select few it was difficult to even immediately discern any kind of meaning, but even when I could make sense of what was depicted I would not have any indetectible proustian memories I once attributed to these. I also reflected on the possible deaths of family, and the result was total apathy.

In fine, I reached a state of animalistic equinimity that seems in keeping with what I have read of psychopathy. However this was of course fleeting because even at the time I was reflecting on how uncanny the experience was. However, I believe, having had this strange experience as a result of the program, that maybe publicly providing information on the brain which convincingly deposes the consciousness from its pride of place (illusory though it may be) at the helm of the mind, is playing with fire. I think maybe certain built-in delusions do a lot to mediate our behaviour in socially cohesive ways, even to our own detriment.
>>
What you are describing falls into the category of pscychosis, not psychopathy.
Characteristic to psychopathy is disconnection from emotion, moral conscience and overall being maximum edgy.
Psychosis OTOH, is when you lose touch with reality.
>>
>>7702815
this

>>7702807
you don't "momentarily become" a psychopath

psychopaths are born with a specific brain structure that makes it impossible to feel empathy(simplified answer). you either have it or you don't

also you sound like a 17yo fedora who took his time to go through a dictionary to write that

no you arent smart if you use word combos like "indetectible proustian memories" or , "providing information on the brain which convincingly deposes the consciousness from its pride of place (illusory though it may be) at the helm of the mind, is playing with fire." you're just a faget who has an idea of what "cool" written expression looks like but has no idea of the principles and structures behind it
>>
>>7702832
>you don't "momentarily become" a psychopath

Actually, by affecting the amygdala with magnets, it is possible to mimic psychopathy in a normal human being. See for example "The Wisdom of Psychopaths", by Kevin Dutton.

Also
https://wolfthiessen.wordpress.com/2011/08/01/look-a-psychopath-in-the-eyes-and-see-the-amygdala/
describes how damage to the amygdala in apes and humans alike produces traits characteristic to psychopaths, namely fearlessness and agressiveness.
>>
>>7702807
>You were drugged or had a bad reaction to something you ate/interacted with.
>You are an attention whore making shit up to "sound cool".
>You have a brain tumor or something and should schedule an appointment with a doctor.
Choose one.
>>
>>7702845
that's interesting

doesn't apply to OP though unless he's a part of a scientific experiment without his knowledge
>>
>>7702807
>consciousness from its pride of place at the helm of the mind
Do you americlaps use a different definition of consciousness than everyone else?
>>
>>7702832
>psychopaths are born with a specific brain structure that makes it impossible to feel empathy(simplified answer). you either have it or you don't
[citation needed]
Also dutch fmri study found that they could do empathy if first instructed to imagine how a thing felt when it happened to them.

>you don't "momentarily become" a psychopath
Sufficient adrenaline will disengage your empathy right quick. As will intense starvation in many cases.
>>
>>7702882
http://bjp.rcpsych.org/content/182/1/5
>>
>>7702890
>http://bjp.rcpsych.org/content/182/1/5
Cool.
For myself I imagine psychopaths are merely outliers in the trait of empathy suppression, which is useful in males because males often need to fight lots (which is hard if you're concerned about your opponent's feelings)
>>
>>7702892
IMO psychopaths don't fit on a sliding scale, their mental processes are fundamentally different from those of the neurotypical

still I can entertain other views on the matter
>>
>>7702893
Well in the link you provided it talks specifically about degree of psychopathy, so I would respectfully disagree with your opinion.
>>
>>7702899
there's a book out there that argues for my POV but I can't remember its name

in any case there's so little consensus on this stuff that there's several opinions that you can have without looking stupid
>>
>>7702908
Fair enough. Seems though from my observations that there are few broad characteristics of personality which are strictly binary.
As it says in the link, degree of psychopathy is (negatively) correlated with amygdala size.

I'm probably at least a bit biased though as I would expect to score non-zero on a psychopathy scale.
>>
>>7702943
>I'm probably at least a bit biased though as I would expect to score non-zero on a psychopathy scale.

probably a common trait among those with a genuine interest in the subject desu
>>
>>7702947
Possibly. Same with surgeons though, so I'm not too fussed about it.
>>
>>7702845
so is it possible to induce sociopathy then?
>>
You just had the right stimuli for your schizophrenia to be triggered.
Expect more of these episodes as time goes by.
>>
>>7702807
welcome to the ride. it's going to be crazy from here on.
>>
>>7702807
>Firstly, my environment expanded massively. This was my dad's house, something I lived in most of my life but now it was huge. Why?
Because by and large humans have a terrible, fuzzy sense of scale unless they've spent years working on it.

>>7702832
>also you sound like a 17yo fedora who took his time to go through a dictionary to write that
This one, you're an overthinker overthinking
>>
>>7702807
>my environment expanded massively
>it was represented in its authentic dimensionality
>deposes the consciousness from its pride of place
Psychedelic / dissociative experience, why not try some corresponding substances to see better?
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.