[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm still trying to wrap my head around how a system can
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
I'm still trying to wrap my head around how a system can have heat added/removed but not change temperature. Is this because of both the P and V changing so that T can remain constant in the ideal gas law?

Am I thinking of this too literally? I know that heat is units of energy/mass, and temperature is units of Kelvin so I can see how they're different, but isn't Kelvin just another representation of how much kinetic energy a group of molecules has? I don't see how you can change the energy/mass without changing the kinetic energy of the molecules.
>>
>>7702008
two buckets of water has twice the heat content as one bucket of water even though they're all at the same temperature.
>>
>>7702008
>>7702042
Yes, intensive property vs extensive property.
>>
What the guy above said. Temperature doesn't go with quantity - look uo "intensive" variable. Also, kelvin is a spooky unit, consider it to be the same as energy, there is only the arbitrary Boltzmann constant in the way. This bts. Makes entropy unitless, as it should be. Its a combinatorical quantity.
>>
change of phase..
>>
>>7702069
and heat can be used to do work
>>
>>7702008
>Is this because of both the P and V changing so that T can remain constant in the ideal gas law?

yes
>>
Don't think of heat so linearly. Remember that heat is just the acceleration of the particles of the substance in question. Therefore, cold would be the particles slowing down.
>>
You're defining temperature wrong, at least for your purpose. "Temperature" is just the measure of a system's tendency to lose or gain heat. Actually, temperature is defined as: T=(dU/dS), where the derivatives are actually partial derivatives. What does this mean practically? It means that the temperature is the slope of the graph of internal energy vs. entropy. A (closed) system's internal energy can be changed two ways: Through P-V work, or by adding/removing heat. Now, there's a famous thermodynamic identity that you better learn if you want to stop being a retard, which is: dU= TdS - PdV. If we do a little algebra, we see that as long as you can hold the system's entropy constant, the temperature will not change. I leave that to you as an exercise.
>>
>>7702008
>carnot cycle
Doesn't even exist IRL, why do we teach this? The heat engine world is not filled with unicorns and sunshine it is a grim world of 30% efficiency
>>
>>7704041
Because virtually all real thermodynamic work is done as perturbations with respect to the ideal case.

You will learn this when you're older.
>>
you're all niggers
>>
niggers
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.