[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How could pic related be possible? Not an encased dome, but
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5
File: Untitled.jpg (192 KB, 764x696) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
192 KB, 764x696
How could pic related be possible?

Not an encased dome, but something that would heat up your lawn when it's freezing.

Imagine if the average house had one of those things - where when it's cold outside, you can step out in your lawn wearing shorts and a t-shirt.

Perhaps you could erect multiple poles out on the lawn, and then stretch out this thing that would heat your lawn.

Why couldn't this be a mass produced thing?
>>
Because it's fucking retarded and would cost a ton of money.
>>
File: 1445197045182.png (88 KB, 208x203) Image search: [Google]
1445197045182.png
88 KB, 208x203
>>7701409
>one of those things
>this thing that would heat your lawn
>mass produced thing
what thing
all I see is a drawn mockup of something that would require either ridiculous amounts of energy to keep warm or some sort of unobtanium which isolates just as good as house wall while being transparent and thin
>>
>>7701416
>enjoying your lawn is retarded

jelly yuropoor detected
>>
Ok another /x/er /pol/ack thinking they've discovered something science hasn't in the history of man.
Confirmed snowflake
>>
File: magcover2.jpg (97 KB, 559x758) Image search: [Google]
magcover2.jpg
97 KB, 559x758
>>7701409
did you take that picture from Popular Science Monthly?
it sure is retarded enough for it
>>
Temperature differentials cost money. You could do it, it's just gonna cost lots to keep it warm.

I would calculate how many watts of heat would be required to maintain such a thing, but that's gonna be hard because radiative losses would be significant.
>>
>>7701409

You're asking if an indoor pool is possible?
>>
File: mainbanner.jpg (122 KB, 900x450) Image search: [Google]
mainbanner.jpg
122 KB, 900x450
>>7701409
They sort of exist they are called conservatories. I presume people don't cover their entire garden because that would defeat the purpose of having an "outdoors"
>>
>>7701432
>Ship railroad is retarded
They had one of those across the isthmus of Corinth as far back as Ancient times.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portage
This thread is classic /sci/ "hurr every unusual idea is retarded" then BTFO when it happens for real. As I said a conservatory is basically what OP is talking about. I've never seen one that covers a lawn but I have seen them as big as a small garden so they could theoretically therefore arguments that heating costs would make it impractical is classic /sci/ narrow-mindedness
>>
>>7701467
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portage
that's not even remotely the same as a fucking water basin on rails and moving a whole OCEAN LINER across land

>a conservatory is basically what OP is talking about
except that it's not
a conservatory basically boils down to more windows and less wall
both of these things can be produced with good isolation properties

OP is talking about what he sees in the image
or why would he talk about "erecting multiple poles"?

stop twisting words just so you can appear smug superior and claim superiority
>>
>>7701484
They are clearly discussing extending the concept which as I pointed out is already well known. Such a thing could easily work for a yacht. Your logic is like saying manned missions to Mars are retarded because we've only done the Moon so far. The concept of the manned space mission itself is sound just as putting a boat on a railway is. Scaling it up is simply a matter of money.
>Conservatory
OP never specified the size of the lawn. As I said there are many lawns that can fit inside of a conservatory.
>stop twisting words just so you can appear smug superior and claim superiority
If you can't handle being destroyed intellectually leave /sci.
>>
File: 1446761495667.png (121 KB, 325x282) Image search: [Google]
1446761495667.png
121 KB, 325x282
>>7701501
>OP clearly talks about putting some sort of isolating plastic plane on poles to heat his lawn similar to the mockup image posted
>posts a conservatory, which are nothing but windows and walls
>DESTROYED INTELLECTUALLY
top fucking kek
you sure like stretching definitions and topics as you see fit
>>
>>7701409
>something that would heat up your lawn when it's freezing.

There's no reason you couldn't install something like "underfloor heating" under your lawn, a series of metal pipes filled with some kind heat-retaining liquid like oil that could be heated to thaw out a frozen lawn. It would be pretty expensive to run.
>>
you mean like a green house? op
>>
I propose an experiment in which you encapsulate your lawn in a geodesic glass or plastic dome, get real comfy, and light a fire.
>>
>>7701409
>erect multiple poles out on the lawn
i have no doubt you would op
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.