[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
so I've been avoiding inquiry regarding this for a while,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: B00CH3A86O_main.jpg (39 KB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
B00CH3A86O_main.jpg
39 KB, 800x450
so I've been avoiding inquiry regarding this for a while, whats the verdict on the effects of using microwaves to prepare food over the course of many years?
>>
>>7697932
they're not powerful enough to do more than oscillate water molecules. microwave ovens are perfectly safe. it's only 250ish htz not enough to do damage to stuff
>>
It creates radioactive isotopes like polonium 210 and cesium 137 in your food
>>
>>7697935
They do more than oscilate water. Microwaves heat according to the heat capacity. Its why glass heats up to 100°C before the water in the glass fully boils.
>>
I've eaten food prepared in microwaves my whole life is and ok to be oven.
>>
it excites the particles into emitting protons
>>
>>7698009
Nope. Well, not household microwave ovens.
>>
Microwave ovens emit microwave radiation which is tuned to the specific resonant frequency of rotational modes in water. IE, the microwaves make water rotate. This rotational kinetic energy of individual water molecules is converted to translational (movement) kinetic energy when water molecules bump in to each other, resulting in a rise in temperature (temperature is a measure of translational kinetic energy). This risks associated with this sort of heating is effectively the same as heating your food with a camp fire. The only difference is that the camp fire heats with translational energy directly, while a microwave oven heats indirectly via rotational mode excitation.

Keep in mind that microwave radiation has less energy than visible light or the intense infrared light emitted by a camp fire (not to say that infra red light from you camp fire is responsible for heating your food, but it's there). The reason that microwave ovens work is because they are very specifically tuned to a resonant frequency which excites rotational modes in water. If you put something that is completely dry and not metal in your microwave oven, it won't heat up (or only a little bit because the air in the oven has some water vapor in it).
>>
Just roll the dice, chicken. It's not the 70s anymore, we've weeded out the big offenders. If something so ubiquitous and "scary" as microwaves caused a statistically-significant increase in diseases, vultures would have made fortunes suing the Microwave companies already.
>>
File: friends.jpg (484 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
friends.jpg
484 KB, 1024x768
I have a roommate who kept unplugging the microwave because he said it gave him headaches.
>>
The real issue is consuming heated/hot food/liquids.
Over years you cook your stomach.
98% of human stomachs are completely cooked by the age of 35.
Have you ever compared the stomach of a newborn to a 35 year old?
THEY'RE HUUUUGE.
>>
>>7697932
In general, it will increase the thermal energy of the food you prepare.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.