[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Well /sci/ can you figure it out?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3
File: Million Dollar Question.png (76 KB, 1048x1006) Image search: [Google]
Million Dollar Question.png
76 KB, 1048x1006
Well /sci/ can you figure it out?
>>
It doesn't matter what they say because they're fucking disqualified for revealing information to each other.
>>
I can figure out that Jill and Bob are a bunch of filthy cheaters.

Bob tells Jill that it's not a rectangle.
Jill tells Bob that it's the orange triangle.
>>
>>7697793
Oh wait, I didn't see the purple circle. Whatever.
>>
>>7697785
> hope I'm first
1. Jill would know the shape if the color she was told was blue or purple.
Therefore, Bob was not told that it was a circle or rectangle; otherwise he couldn't be certain.

2. Jill therefore knows it is a diamond or triangle. She claims to know the answer based on the color.
If she was told red, then she'd be unsure.
If she was told green, yellow or orange, she'd know it was yellow diamond or orange triangle.

3. Bob now knows that it is green, yellow, or orange.
If he was told triangle, he would be unsure. So he was told diamond.

The answer is yellow diamond.
>>
>>7697801 slight correction
>If she was told green, yellow or orange, she'd know it was yellow diamond or orange triangle.
Or green triangle.
>>
It's yellow diamond.
>>
>>7697801
>posting the right answer before me
fuk u nigga
>>
>>7697801
>>7697806
Damnit guys. Why it took me 2 days to figure it out and only after I got a hint.
>>
>>7697873
Start reading Raymond Smullyan's books.
>>
>>7697785
WHO THE HELL IS BILL???
>>
>>7697801
>If she was told green, yellow or orange, she'd know it was yellow diamond or orange triangle.
Then she wouldn't have said she knew the answer, because if there's two choices left she wouldn't know.
>>
>>7697939
oops lol typo
>>
>>7697949
Think about what choices are left over. Bob and her both know it can't be a circle or rectangle because of 1, so the only choices left are
>red diamond
>red triangle
>green triangle
>orange triangle
>yellow diamond
she knows the color, so if her color is green, orange or yellow she knows exactly which one it is.
>>
>>7697939
Bill is the bull
>>
File: cheating-wife-and-husband.png (145 KB, 1029x1016) Image search: [Google]
cheating-wife-and-husband.png
145 KB, 1029x1016
>>
>>7698285
Dun goofed.
>>
File: cheating-wife-and-husband.png (133 KB, 1029x1056) Image search: [Google]
cheating-wife-and-husband.png
133 KB, 1029x1056
>>7698285
>>
>>7697801
Pretty much. This is way too easy.

>>7697873
> 2 days to figure it out and only after I got a hint
How.
>>
>>7697785
Isn't this just a rehash of Cheryl's birthday problem?
>>
>>7697785
>For a million dollars, a couple enters the last round of a game show
That's a pretty steep entry fee. Sounds like a scam.
>>
>>7699011
No one cares, you haven't proved anything
>>
>>7697785
Why do these puzzles always have an unrealistic, ridiculous backstory? Is that supposed to help at all?
>>
>>7699755
If you ask me, the premise is pretty bullshitty too. I feel like it's for the casuals to have some sort of gratification in solving it which is also why they say that that one problem
>>7699223
was meant for 5th grade Singaporeans when it was actually an olympiad question
>>
>>7699901
entry level question.
20% of classroom at 5th grade level can normally do shit like that
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.