[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can someone please explain to a retard why microwaves are apparently
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
Can someone please explain to a retard why microwaves are apparently dangerous if they're weaker than both infrared and visible light?
>>
>>7697650
>microwaves are apparently dangerous

They aren't.
>>
>>7697650
Elevation of heat shock proteins (by non-thermal means).
Certain cells are vulnerable to its magnetic field, and more so during specific parts of their cycle.
Exposure results in increased ROS production.
Changes in gene expression, naturally, are also observed.

Not going to go into the research about pyramidal cell dysfunction, or dysfunction of cells in the dentate gyrus / hippocampus. Don't care to go into increased blood brain barrier permeability either. Some studies show statistically significant changes in monoamine neurotransmitter secretion, mostly in 5-HT. The literature on this is both easily available, and highly conflicting. This is one of those areas where something became a thing, everyone is real attached to their wifi and cell phones, there are a lot of morons claiming to be hypersensitive, and the whole thing is a mess. It's difficult to sort through and figure what is really being observed, and what the underlying mechanics are.

It's worth noting, people think big pharma has power to flood journals with skewed research. But they've barely got anything on the resources of the communications industries. I'd be wary of any and all research.
>>
Microwaves are dangerous because they vibrate your water molecules super fast. Wi-fi is cooking you from the inside out.
>>
Bright enough microwaves, infrared, visible light can be dangerous.

In fact this is true of the entire electromagnetic spectrum.
>>
>>7697671
This is fact
>>
>>7697671
>>7697667
Gotcha. So it's not dangerous like other forms of radiation is. Thanks guys.
>>
>>7697677
Microwaves work by stimulating the water molecules in matter to oscillation and thereby heat that matter.

If you want to find out how that feels cut a hole in your microwave door and try it yourself.
>>
>>7697724
How does it feel?
>>
>>7697724
this. As I'm sure you know, electrons in an atom can occupy certain energy levels. Usually they occupy the lowest energy level or ground state. These energy levels are discrete, not continuous. An electron can jump from the n=1 ground state to the n=2 state by absorbing a photon, but only photons with a specific wavelength can be absorbed. These wavelengths correspond to the energy gap between these states. So going from n=1 to n=3 takes more energy and a lower wavelength than going from 1 to 2. Going from a higher state to a lower state emits a photon. These energy gaps depend completely on the element/compound. Each element is unique. For example, if you excite the electrons in Hydrogen and let them re-emit the photons, it will have a red, green, and two violet emission lines. If you do the same for Helium, it will have a blue, green, yellow, and 2 red lines.

Now there's also a concept of rotational and vibrational states. Basically we can think of H2 as being two protons held together by a spring, and this spring can wiggle up and down and contract and stretch. These are also discrete states, and for each n value stated above, there are many many vibrational states that are very close in energy to one another. This means that the energy gap between vibrational states is tiny compared to the energy gap between electron shells. For water, microwaves with a frequency of around 2.5 GHz (the conventional microwave oven) is just the right amount to move the atom from it's ground state to some higher vibrational state, even though the energy seems small. This increased vibration in the water will contribute to an increase in temperature. For other compounds, there is a different energy gap. This is why when you put metal in the microwave, sparks of plasma will come off of it. These are just electrons gaining enough energy to get to n=infinity state and become freed from the metal.
>>
>>7697650

There are a couple of reasons.

1. Microwave radiation has a long enough wavelength that it doesn't burn skin. It burns the meat underneath, leaving little physical evidence of injury.

2. Microwaves are invisible to humans.
Consider: I have a box with an industrial spotlight in it. It emits 1000 watts of visible light. If I open the door with it turned on, you'll squint and recoil from it. You can see it, so you protect yourself.

A Microwave oven emits 500-1000 watts of microwave light. You can't see this light, so you stick your face right next to the door watching your burrito go round-and-round.

If the door interlock malfunctions and the oven stays on with the door open, you are oblivious. You do not squint or recoil. Ignorant of the problem, you'll salivate and giddily reach for your burrito as it burns your eyes and skin.

I put zero credence in reports of "wi-fi allergies". Less than zero. Strong evidence required.
>>
>>7698754
I'm pretty sure if the microwaves were still being produced after the door opened, I'd hear it. The microwave goes silent before the door is even opened. Have you ever used a microwave before?
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.