[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do pigs, chickens, cows, fish, turkeys, lambs, etc have consciousness?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4
File: optimized-cow-question-mark.jpg (41 KB, 632x355) Image search: [Google]
optimized-cow-question-mark.jpg
41 KB, 632x355
Do pigs, chickens, cows, fish, turkeys, lambs, etc have consciousness? And if so why do we choose to eat them?
>>
Define consciousness, familia
protip: you can't
>>
by eating them we put them out of their miserable conscious suffering
>>
File: goat.jpg (93 KB, 797x594) Image search: [Google]
goat.jpg
93 KB, 797x594
>>7695401

No, but goats do.
>>
>>7695483
Because they are GOAT
Hahahaha
>>
consciousness doesn't exist
>>
>>7695688
jealous robot detected
>>
They are not self aware in the way we define it. They are mammals with higher intelligence so take that as you will.
>>
>>7695830
Beep boop morp meep ,
ThoughtProcess=end

You really got me there, friend.
>>
>>7695401
eating something has nothing to do with it having or not having consciousness , we eat things for nutrients and recently , when food became abundant we eat things because they taste good and meat does taste good .
>>
>>7695401
yes

because they're delicious.
>>
>>7695401
>And if so why do we choose to eat them

Because God told us to.
>>
File: uh duuuh.jpg (248 KB, 1120x1450) Image search: [Google]
uh duuuh.jpg
248 KB, 1120x1450
>>7696026
>>7696027
Some high level theories over here.
>>
>>7695401
Even if these animals ARE conscious (in whatever ass backwards definition of the term you're bound to come up with), I don't see why that would prevent us from eating them.
>>
>>7695401
>Do pigs, chickens, cows, fish, turkeys, lambs, etc have consciousness?
Probably not. Consciousness is a function of a highly differentiated brain, which so far only evolved in humans.

>And if so why do we choose to eat them?
Personally I don't eat cow and pig. They're haram, cause cancer and I don't like the taste. Chicken and fish on the other hand are tasty and healthy.
>>
Cows are pretty intelligent and social animals. I'm not an expert but if something is capable of having friends, I'd guess it is conscious on some level.

>And if so why do we choose to eat them?
Either because there is no other possibility or because people are too lazy/uncomfortable to think about it or because they don't care.
>>
>>7695836
>They are not self aware in the way we define it.
>semantics because ipse dixit
>>
>>7696318
>Even if these animals ARE conscious (in whatever ass backwards definition of the term you're bound to come up with), I don't see why that would prevent us from eating them.

Well I guess you would have to examine why we consider it wrong to kill and eat other humans, then consider whether and to what degree those reasons apply to the animals in question.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.