[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey, biology fags, halp me. I swear this is not another religious
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: 1447529599415.gif (500 KB, 2420x915) Image search: [Google]
1447529599415.gif
500 KB, 2420x915
Hey, biology fags, halp me.

I swear this is not another religious bullshit, but what are the evidences that prove evolution is not only a genetic similarity between living beings?
Because I'm sure a lot of people who believe in evolution today think the scale of complexity and similarity between living beings is somewhat a prove for evolution, which is not exactly.
>>
>>7693870
Why is there a new flu vaccine every year?
/thread
>>
>>7693877
>why am I different from my grandfathers?
>obviously evolution
>>
>>7693870
universe grew from basic plasma to human consciousness
>>
Evolution is an extrapolation of trends seen through the fossil record and (later) genetics. Speciation is a concept to put on these trends that makes sense. Evolution itself is "unprovable" because we lack the ability (time travel) to prove it. Opposing evolution because of the concept of falsifiability (as you're implying) is a false one as the whole of science is based on the concept of falsifiability. While evolution is "less provable" than other modern scientific concepts, the weight of evidence behind it, the strength of the research, and the lack of opposing (falsifiable) theories makes it the best case for what we can see about the natural world.
>>
>>7693897
>whole of science is based on the concept of falsifiability

No it is not. Stop reading popsci.
>>
>>7693897
So it ends up being another worldview based on faith in probability.
My opinion about evolution is that it's not that relevant, at all.
People are only obsessed about it because the social effects it causes, but it objectively doesn't even change much of what religion/metaphysics says, once they're in another level of reality.
>>
>>7693890
Sexual reproduction doesn't equate to evolution.
>>
>>7693909
It actually is. If you can't falsify something, it cannot be tested and thus is not in the realm of science. If science-sounding claims are made about that topic, it is often pseudoscience.
>>
>>7693909
Read some philosophy of science. If you're staunchly anti-philosophy then start with Science The Endless Frontier by Bush and work backwards.
>>
>>7693870
Evolution is just the plasticity of the gene pool to the environment. You can observe bacteria acquiring antibiotic resistance, or that one species that evolved under controlled conditions to catabolize citrate.

If by "evolution" you mean "common ancestor," genetic similarity is a key piece of evidence (the same nucleotides have the same role in all organisms on the planet,) along with homologous and vestigal structures
>>
>>7693918

Sexual repruduction causes gene flow, it's a process of microevolution. Evolution is the change in DNA and therefore the change in proteins (phenotype) in successive organisms. Unless your family is a bunch of inbreds your mother and father can be considered to be from different populations. It's considered part of evolution
>>
>>7693870
The differences and similarities between species create a phylogenic tree that also matches extremely well with geographical distributions and separations and that fits perfectly with tectonics. Biology and Earth Sciences together tell a tale of life that is only explainable by evolution. It has great predictive (e.g. which fossils where?) and explanatory (e.g. chromosomal fusion in humans vs. apes) power.
>>
>>7693965
Usually "evolution" refers to aggregate change. Like the distinction between quantum-level interactions and bulk diffusion of solutes or gasses
>>
>>7693930

EVERYTHING IN SCIENCE IS ALREADY FALSIFIED. The really question is how badly and when and where it happens
>>
Maybe the problem with evolution is that it was discovered too late by the wrong people, who were too dumb or insensible to understand the mythological and metaphysical aspect of reality, human intellect and societies.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.