[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there any reason to go past Trig?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 5
File: 1415735652779.jpg (164 KB, 1578x1164) Image search: [Google]
1415735652779.jpg
164 KB, 1578x1164
Hi goys,

Currently finishing up a semester of trig and I'm contemplating whether or not to begin the calculus sequence. I've just been taking math to see if there's anything interesting or exciting about it and for the most part its just been ok. Does it get better past trig or is there any point in taking calculus and beyond or is it all just a meme?

Kinda feel like stopping here desu senpai. The love is gone.
>>
You are either underaged or worthless.
>>
>>7693694
>is it all just a meme?

No anon math is the only thing in life that's not a meme.
>>
>>7693697
I was expecting to unlock secrets and discover interesting things about the universe and the nature of reality but for the most part its been pretty tedious and unfulfilling. Maybe a term off is in order.
>>
>>7693711
You don't find it rewarding learning about how shit works at a fundamental level? Its not good unless you make a discovery?
>>
>>7693711
take biochemistry or molecular biology, mathematics is just some boring shit that gets you a $400k starting job out of college
>>
>>7693711
Without calculus there's no Newton's Second Law of motion. So you really have no hope of understanding physics or how the universe works otherwise.
>>
>>7693711
Maybe more abstract math is your thing.
After calculus (assuming you're in college), as a math major, you can start studying abstract algebra, analysis, and even number theory or topology. All pretty interesting stuff.
>>
>>7693711
That's calculus for you f a m
>>
>>7693711
>>7693694
holy FUCK you've only taken preparatory high-school level math and you're saying you're already bored? you have not done ANY math at all. You have NO idea what math is.
>>
>>7693694
Huge amounts of shit was done with just Alg. Trig. and Geo. For over a thousand years these were the main mathematical tools used. Until the 17th century these were what people used, and you can do incredible things with them. If you have a strong semi-rigorous understand of them and you aren't hooked yet, math likely won't ever interest you very much.
>>
>>7693694
desu
>>
>>7693694
Trig is the most boring and useless shit ever. If you want something interesting, start with set theory, then study abstract algebra (groups, rings, fields) and topology. By studying I mean proving theorems and derieving formulas on your own (except for the hardest results). Topology by Munkres is good. It has no prerequisites at all, because it contains set theory and logic.
>>
File: fourius.jpg (78 KB, 900x350) Image search: [Google]
fourius.jpg
78 KB, 900x350
>>7694254
>Trig is the most boring and useless shit ever
I think Fourier would like to have a word with you.
>>
>>7693711
>expects to unlock secrets of the universe in a fundamental math course
>>
>>7694254
Also, elementary number theory and graph theory are fun and have no prerequisites.
>>
>>7694270
>elementary graph theory is fun
>>
>expecting high school math to be mind bending, insightful and mind expanding

stupid fucking millenial. get the fuck off the goddamn internet.
>>
You don't need trig unless you're working in a very special field like Fourier analysis. Sometimes you need something like formula for sin(x + y), but it's easily derieved with complex numbers, so you don't have to memorize it. If you really need trig, at least you should learn it after you learned some complex numbers and calculus.
>>
Thanks guys, maybe I was just being hasty. I'll take the calculus then.
>>
Dog, calculus is the real show, everything youve done until this point has literally been to prepare you for calc.
>>
>>7694479

This is essentially why I made the thread. I can only take so many more logarithmic functions.

If it gets more cool from here on out, then its worth all the effort it took to get here.
>>
>>7694487
Stop talking like you've gone a long way. You haven't. You haven't learned anything at all and you dont know what effort it.

Get fucking good or stop fucking doing math.
>>
>>7694510

Ok tough guy.

Wtf ..
>>
>>7693694
Depends on what you want to do in life. Maybe you should take Calc 1 just to say you know calculus and broaden your math knowledge a bit.
>>
U HAVE 2 ASK URSELF

DO I WANT TO LEARN MORE THAN TRIG?

IF THE ANSWER IS YES THERE IS A REASON TO GO HIGHER

IF THE ANSWER IS NO WE PROBABLY WOULDN'T GET ALONG VERY WELL

EITHER WAY THIS IS A FAGGY THREAD COME BACK WHEN YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO CONTRIBUTE
>>
>>7694553
You need to be over 18 to post here, rules have a reason.

Fuck off.
>>
Some of you guys get mad over this thread. Its really pitiful. You give math a bad name.
>>
>>7693694
>trigonometry
But that's school stuff.
>>
Could it be that calculus is not the interesting part? Hmm, hmm. No, all math must be boring.
>>
File: Bu5IcNHCEAApHYZ.jpg (33 KB, 600x409) Image search: [Google]
Bu5IcNHCEAApHYZ.jpg
33 KB, 600x409
>>7695005

What's the fun part of math? When will you ever use logarithms again after a course?

I'll take another guys advice and take the calculus 1 class. I mostly took math to see if I could do it or if its as hard as people say but so far all I've learned that its basically an exercise in glorified repetition. If you want to learn it you can do it easily by just repeating the exercises.

There was a mystique to it, but the more I do it, I swear it just feels like an elaborate meme. You could even see it in this thread. A bunch of nerds acting all superior because they're a few classes ahead.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.