[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm surprised I haven't seen this here before; h
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (115 KB, 1136x640) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
115 KB, 1136x640
I'm surprised I haven't seen this here before;

http://youtu.be/7G4SqIboeig

A thourough and mathematically rigorous introduction to the general theory of relativity.

As a Mathematican, watching most lectures on physics by physicists is downright cringe-worthy, but these lectures are amazing.

Does anyone know of any more lectures that are this mathematically clear and well defined in their presentations?
>>
I am 7 minutes in and I am already having an autisgasm. This is physics as I intuitively conceive it.
>>
>>7692948
I've seen these before. Pretty damn good.
>>
>>7692948
>watching most lectures on physics by physicists is downright cringe-worthy

Never watch anything on quantum field theory.

"Well, this integral gives us an infinite result. But look, if I take the derivative and then integrate again, it gives the right answer! I guess the constant of integration must just be infinite. So just subtract infinity from everything and we're good."
>>
>>7693024
Yeah, that was exactly my first reaction too lol
>>
http://www.gravity-and-light.org/ is down, is there some backup of the course materials?
>>
>>7692948
>As a Mathematican, watching most lectures on physics by physicists is downright cringe-worthy
You are not a mathematician. But I agree with you though, physics textbooks are lectures lack so much formality that compared to a math textbook are ridiculous.
>>
>>7693058
Not that I'm aware of unfortunately
>>
>>7693097
>ridiculous
Well it's a question of how much content you can pack into it. You can add a whole book of statistic to the appendinx of a statistical physics book, and then therefore you get a 1000 pages which barely makes it to a couple relevant physical models.
Or you name the model, speak about why it's conceived or a good candidate, tell the reader what the relevant observables come out to be, and thus cover a whole lot of physics and refer further just to the special papers of particular models.
>>
>>7693042
Maths fags mad that we literally kek the fuck out of there laws
>>
>>7692948
Aaaahaha SCHULLIMULLI.

Best prof <3
>>
Yeah, saying physics textbooks/lectures are ridiculous for not following rigorous derivations and allowing for different methods of approximation completely misses the point of physics, i.e. describing physical phenomena accurately. I could calculate the curvature tensor for a single pendulum swinging back and forth but why would that ever be useful ever?
>>
>>7693042
but we can do this because if you think about the physics it makes sense to remove any constant in these cases, even if infinite
don't let your autism get in the way of understanding the actual physics
>>
Why do universities have undergrad lectures any more, at least in STEM? What are the chances your prof is going to be better than OP's guy? The "it's not interactive!" point is pretty much bullshit, isn't it? And I can think of several advantages of tape over live. The argument's been made I guess... just struck me again watching this.
>>
>>7693210
Questions, if things aren't clear, and I mean what may seem obvious to one person may have another lost
>>
>>7693212
Yes, but I've found that when I'm watching a tape, I can pause, replay, figure it out, then move on. In lecture, if you get lost or stop to think it through you can get left behind even more.
>>
>>7693210
I could play up the subtle ethological debate of over-specialization and diversity of information methods, but my heart wouldn't be in it. Mostly it's just a matter of tradition and momentum. We simply don't have the established infrastructure to separate academia from the academy and no one wants to just do away with the former and see how far we get on market forces alone.
>>
anyone know any good books to selfstudy physics for math

anyone who suggests spivak mechanics 1 will be banned on incidence
>>
>>7692948
What is the big deal about this lecture?

It's literally babby's first topology.

Is this what impresses physics students? Do they think this is graduate level?
LOL
>>
>>7693210
For one thing, in many stem subjects the material of a given lecture course won't be found anywhere else.

This isn't true for say calculus or most first year modules, but by the time you get to 3rd and 4th year lecturers often give lecture courses relating to their particular research interests , especially in chemistry and biology and material science. So you won't find the same material given in those lecture courses anywhere else in the world.

But if you do find a really good overlap with the material then sure you might as well listen to MIT's online lectures or whatever. The only other thing to watch out for us that your lecturer might use different notation or conventions from the MIT person so you should check to make sure you don't get a nasty surprise in the exam.
>>
>>7693210
It would be discriminating against minorities to make it this way. Have you noticed group work is emphasized more now than before?
>>
>>7693241
Doesn't work for everyone, I've found a good understanding of things from watching multiple different lectures on the same topics, each coming from slightly different angles to the topic. That doesn't work for everyone though
>>
It's amazing how much a good lecturer can accelerate your learning. Listening to other humans is the way we evolved to learn.
>>
>>7693293
Landau-Lifshitz, now fuck off
>>
>>7693210
Well depending on the subject you probably won't be able to find it.

I have yet to find ~90% of the stuff I learned in Geology 1001 online, much less anything about geomorphology or in depth petrology
>>
>>7693319
Its a series of 24 lectures on general relativity
>>
what amount of math knowledge is needed to understand what hes talking about?
>>
>>7693481
A fundamental understanding of sets and logical proof is needed, some intuitive understanding of the basic Analysis concepts is preferred to give the statements he makes more context.

It's not too demanding, but it is rigorous.
>>
>>7693481
less than for a PhD in triple integrals
>>
>>7692948
I finally feel like there's hope for me understanding general relativity. This is fantastic.
>>
>>7693293
http://mitpress.mit.edu/sites/default/files/titles/content/sicm/book.html
>>
Everyone go post on their Facebook page so that they get the website back up.

Then again they have tutorial vids on the channel so I guess that's fine.
>>
OP, I love you, sexually.
Thanks.
>>
this thread is reddit
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.