[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hello /sci/ i have a question about biology/genetics/bloodtypes
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3
File: RedBloodCells3.jpg (892 KB, 3000x2400) Image search: [Google]
RedBloodCells3.jpg
892 KB, 3000x2400
Hello /sci/
i have a question about biology/genetics/bloodtypes

so, if the father of a child has the bloodtype BB, so both allels are coding for the B bloodtype, and the mother has the bloodtype 00 is it somehow possible, that the child also has the blootype 00? I know that if you apply mendels rules it should not be possible and every child of the two should be B0, thereby B by phenotype, but is there any way this could still happen?

tl;dr: can a BB bloodtype and a 00 bloodtype have a 00 bloodtype child?
>>
>>7692694
No, barring some rare exceptions that child would always be BO, or Type B.

However, blood if there is a mutation in the sperm cell which fertilises the egg, and produces the child, which results in a loss of the B allele, or somehow turns the B allele into the O allele, then the child would be OO, or Type O.
>>
>>7692694
>>7692700
OO dubs

Also, I might add. There may be an issue with the red blood cell producing tissue, which means cells only produce O-type blood.

I've never heard of such a condition, but I suppose it's not impossible
>>
>>7692700
thanks
can you tell me how likely that is to happen at all?
>>
>>7692712
>>7692712

Apparently, it has been proposed that type 0 mutations have occurred at least three times in human history

I guess since there have been a predicted number of 108 billion humans ever, it is very unlikely to happen.

4chan thinks I'm spamming, I'll post doi in next post
>>
>>7692712
>>7692727

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18629539
>>
>>7692727
>>7692731
yeah i would have guessed just randomly mutating an O allele is pretty unlikely

what about the thing you mentioned in >>7692700 about a loss of the B allele?
>>
Well part of the O type random mutations are just turning type A and B into O, since A and B are effectively O + a little bit extra stuff.

There are only a hand-full of types of genetic mutations.

Nucleotides:
Point mutations.
Insertions.
Deletions.

Genes:
Amplifications (or duplications, triplications, etc)
Deletions.
Translocations
Inversions
Interstitial deletions
Loss of heterozygosity

A lot of these types of mutations occur in cancer.
Going purely on SNP point mutation/indels its about 0.003 per cell, so every 1000 cells, there are 3 classical mutations out of 3,000,000,000 bases

So we could say, 1 in 1 trillion chance of it occurring specifically in a single nucleotide of the gene for blood type in a single sperm cell, which then fertilises an egg.

However there are many nucleotides in the blood type gene, so it is likely much higher rate.

Even if it was 1/30,000,000,000, as in ~33 nucleotides could be mutated to produce type O (pulling that number out of my ass), it would match the Type O, at least 3 independent mutations figure
>>
>>7692746
>>7692767
>>
>>7692767
thanks a ton mate

i'm asking all of that, because what i described in the OP is the current situation i'm in.
my father is BB, my mom is OO and my sister is OO as well and is going batshit right now, because she thinks our father is not her biological father
so i was basically hoping so solve this bullshit drama by getting a clearer picture of the science behind it
>>
>>7692799
How do you know your father is BB and not BO?
BB and BO are exactly the same when you test blood. There are only 4 blood types A, B, AB and O.

A can be AA or AO
B can be BB or BO
AB is only AB
O is only OO
>>
>>7692799
This>>7692819
This is the most likely situation.
Unless both of you are adopted.

I do have another theory however, under the assumption that OP is over the age of 18 and his sister is atleast some year younger than him.
>>
>>7692819
i know, the phenotype is the same since B and A are both dominant alleles, but he is sure that he has BB. He had some servere medical issues and spent a lot of time in hospitals lately and he is absolutely sure he's BB
>>
>>7692828
please do tell
i am 19, my sister is 18, we are 21 months apart
>>
>>7692829
Right, onto the other theory.
You are not your fathers child and when you were really young your mother had sex with you.
>>
>>7692831
>>7692832
Or you're both adopted. Whichever works.

Seriously get this checked out.
>>
>>7692829
also my sister started to bring that stuff up a couple of moths ago as well and my father had a his genes checked for that specifically, i just remembered
>>
>>7692829
And you know for sure your sister is OO?

DESU there are other weird things that could have happened. Like your father has some cells which are OO/BO and some which are BB, and the tests only picked up BB cells.

It would be known as chimerism.

Read here
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/human-chimera-man-fails-paternity-test-because-genes-in-his-saliva-are-different-to-those-in-sperm-a6707466.html
>>
>>7692842
well she went to donate blood and that's what she was told. i mean if her bloodtype is O her genetic makeup is bound to be OO since it's a recessive gene

chimerism is very interesting, thanks for that i didn't even know something like that was possible

>>7692834
i personally don't care too much, he's my father no matter what his genes are, but my sister is going fucking crazy over it
but we're not adopted, altough this is no scientific proof, my sister and i look really similar, everybody has been telling us we do all the time, so we're definately related and i'm sure by more than one parent
>>
>>7692861
New theory.
Your moms relationship with your dad begun shortly after the two of you were born, or perhaps even before your sister was born. And your mom had a different "mate" before then.
Seems the most likely thing to have happen.
>>
File: vEMpKn4.gif (1 MB, 500x359) Image search: [Google]
vEMpKn4.gif
1 MB, 500x359
Just do a maternity test
>>
>>7692876
nope, sorry
they've been together and married way before they decided to have children. so my sister is sure our mother cheated on our father and that's how she came to be, which also is unlikely, since one-year-old me running around being the annoying little shit i used to be isn't exactly leaving my mom with any free time to fuck another man (completely ignoring loyalty in commited relationships)
>>
>>7692887
:^)
>>
>>7692895
What if your dad is actually impotent? And you come from donated sperm?
>>
>>7692929
he had a vasectomy a few years back since he didn't want any more children, chances are you don't do that if you fire blanks anyway
>>
File: q59WIDP.jpg (97 KB, 900x1600) Image search: [Google]
q59WIDP.jpg
97 KB, 900x1600
>>7692933
Well then, I have just the card for your mom.
>>
>>7692694
And that' show Billy discovered his dad isn't his biological father
>>
it won't be OO, but it can be BO and still express an OO phenotype due to being homozygous recessive for the bombay genotype (hh)
>>
>>7695298
Oh this is assuming no mutations BTW
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.