[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can anyone explain to me if the Earth is spinning with constant
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 6
File: earth-rotate.png (203 KB, 1628x1100) Image search: [Google]
earth-rotate.png
203 KB, 1628x1100
Can anyone explain to me if the Earth is spinning with constant speed, howcome 1: the flight times of jets flying from east to west, and from west to east are almost equal; 2:if you jump and stay one second in the air, you are not immidiatly killed by an approaching building, spinning with earth's speed?
>inb4 retard
But yes i want to learn the scientific side of the matter.
>>
Because you are already moving the exact same speed as the earth is spinning so if you jump you would still already be moving in the same direction as the earth.
>>
momentum is conserved
>>
>>7691937
Relative to you earth is not moving.
>>
>>7691937
Play a game of ping-pong in a train that is moving with constant speed an both your questions are answered
>>
can i pick any object in the sky and find its velocity relative to earth, then say i have broken the world record for fastest moving man relative to that object?
>>
>>7691937
I somehow get the feeling this is bait
>>
>>7692041
You are actally wrong, i am just stupid. I still dont understand for example if you fly on a baloon and stand for 24 hours in the exact same spot, how the earth does'nt move under you
>>
>>7691937
Momentum you fucktard.
You're moving at the earth's spin speed already when on the ground, when you jump no forces change this momentum (as the atmosphere is moving at the same speed too) so you continue moving with the earth.
>>
>>7691937

If you stand in the aisle of a train that's moving at a steady speed, then jump, do you slam into the back of the train?
>>
>>7692076
Conservation of momentum again. You're moving the same speed the earth is moving
>>
Inertia.
https://www.google.com/search?q=bullet+drop+experiment
>>
>>7692076

Also the atmosphere has weight and is carried by the spin of the earth, and is what determines how the balloon will float.
>>
>>7692076

the atmosphere moves along with the earth.
>>
>>7692109
>>7692110
K, does that apply to the moon too, since it has almost no atmosphere?
>>
>>7692133

Since when are you flying balloons on the moon?
>>
Why and how is it self-evident that the atmosphere moves along with the earth?

If I'd suspended a ball inside a box containing a fluid using e.g. an EM-field, then manipulated the EM-field somehow to produce rotations in the ball, it is not clearly apparent to me that given enough time, the fluid would move in the same direction as the ball, and I'm not even taking any other variables into account, of which there are several when it comes to earth's atmosphere (e.g. density layers).

I would imagine that the fluid would first move in the opposite direction of the ball's rotating direction (at least the fluid at the furthest points away from the ball's surface), and I might be able to concur that intuitively, given enough time, the fluid would eventually start rotating with the ball, but I would really like an explanation of how and why this must be so.

Not OP, by the way.
>>
>>7692146
Consider the though experiment of the suspended bucket filled with water, if u let the bucket spin, at girst the water will stay still but due to friction it will start moving together with the bucket
>>
>>7692152
Yes, this is due to bulk flow. All viscous fluids will experience this effect of "drag" or "friction".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_flow

>>7692108
>>7692108
Underrated post
>>
>>7692146
>Why and how..
Assume it doesn't. Calculate the expected wind speed and direction as a function of latitude. Compare to observations.
>>
>>7692152
Also consider the equations of circular motion:
if at first you move a speed v on the surface of the earth at r=R we have g=v^2/R if you jump height h which is small compared to R we can approximately say that r=R+h is R and g is still g, and we have again g = v^2/R and follow (almost) the same path as the rotating surface. So on the moon with no atmosphere, when you jump you dont blast away with speed of rotation of the moon (if the moon rotates on its axis (not sure))
>>
>>7692097
>If you stand in the aisle of a train that's moving at a steady speed, then jump, do you slam into the back of the train?
That's a bad joke. my brother died that way.
>>
File: thefagandthevindiesel.jpg (32 KB, 497x500) Image search: [Google]
thefagandthevindiesel.jpg
32 KB, 497x500
>>7691937
>OP does't understand the difference between speed and aceleration
>posts in "Science & Math" board
>>
>>7692225
>posts in "Science & Math" board

Where the hell else would he post it?
>>
Pls anon. I was going to yell at you for being retarded, but that would just leave you retarded and get us nowhere. Google "relative motion" please do this at least before asking another dumbass question.

In short the reason none of those things you said happen is because while the earth is spinning you are moving with it. When you jump or get in an airplane. Your motion is not absolute motion. It is relative to the motion of the earth
>>
>>7692242
He shouldn't post at all
>>
File: 960px-Views_on_Evolution.svg.png (56 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
960px-Views_on_Evolution.svg.png
56 KB, 960x720
>>7692225
He may be retarded, but at least he's questioning and wants to learn. Most people would do the opposite.
>>
>>7691937
>1: the flight times of jets flying from east to west, and from west to east are almost equal;

that's wrong

ever flown a northatlantic flight?
>>
>>7692110
>>7692109
wind patterns and Coriolis effect disprove that the atmosphere moves in the direction of the earths spin.

try harder.
>>
>>7692146
wind patterns and the Coriolis effect debunks that the atmosphere moves in the direction of the earths spin.
>>
>>7692093
>atmosphere is moving at the same speed too

then why do we have winds on some days and not on others?

why do we have winds in the opposite directions of the earths spin?

why does some imaginary line make winds spin in different directions?
>>
>>7691937
conservation of momentum
>>
>>7692909
For the same reason you can walk to the back of a moving bus. The movement of wind you experience is just the movement relative to you. It's also spinning around with the earth, but you don't notice that because you are also spinning with the earth. If a car right next to your is moving at the same speed, it's not moving relative to you. If it then speeds up you notice it moves away from you.
>>
>>7691937
Because gravity's exceeding the earth's rotational force.
>>
>>7692846
Atlantic Trade Winds also push airplanes.
>>
>>7692935
this
>>
>>7692076
>>7691951
^^its this

Relative to us the earth seems to be standing still.

Also relative to other objects observing the earth we have the same velocity.(remember direction is part of velocity)
>>
>>7692935
i dont think so

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phj7RUP9oyY
>>
If you stand on the Earth's surface, it transfers kinetic energy to your feet. The air is also experiencing this, and so transfers KE to your body that it got from the Earth. Just being in Earth's atmosphere transfers KE to your body.

This KE is biased in it's direction - this is called a vector. Basically, the Earth is throwing you off of it's surface at a parabolic trajectory. The vector is thus diagonal.

When you jump, what's happening is a volume change within your muscles. This volume change forces your entire body away from Earth's surface with a certain force, because the molecular bonds in your body exceed the force you're producing. Imagine a bunch of balls tied together with strings - pull one, and pull them all. Also, if you pull too hard, the strings will tear - your body can't fly apart, and so all the KE gets transferred to the surrounding environment.

Because the air's particles are bound together less firmly than the ground's, your body's KE becomes biased towards the sky. The air and gravity resist you, and in an instant begin to rob you of KE.

So, since you were only going as fast as the Earth was, and since you can only produce a small amount of force against the surface of Earth, and since that force will be quickly diminished to nothing, you fall back down to Earth.

The trick is, speed is relative. You don't perceive the Earth moving - you perceive the rest of the universe as moving. KE is based on velocity and mass, and velocity can only be defined in terms of the KE difference between two objects, not the distance. So KE = V & M = KE. Remember that mass increases with speed, and mass and energy are interchangeable.
>>
File: 1434923574922.jpg (136 KB, 560x570) Image search: [Google]
1434923574922.jpg
136 KB, 560x570
>>7692988
Pfff.
The coriolis effect isn't true for small instances. It is however true for tornadoes and the like.
Also assuming the earth is flat, why isn't it daytime everywhere at the same time?
>Muh lampshade
That would require the sun to disappear in the middle of the sky when evening comes.
>>
>>7693000
how does it feel to be wrong and then mad?
>>
>>7692988
I don't think you have the mental ability to critique anyone, since you've apparently gullibly swallowed and regurgitated such a trash video without even looking up what the Coriolis effect actually does.
>>
File: 1441395752550.gif (155 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
1441395752550.gif
155 KB, 640x360
>>7693003
Wow that sure is some striking arguments you're providing! I am truly flabbergasted!

Did you know that I can see the stars really clearly here. Is the sun still setting in mississippi?
>>
File: flight.jpg (923 KB, 2165x2295) Image search: [Google]
flight.jpg
923 KB, 2165x2295
>>7693009
nah.

I can just observe the wind not constantly moving in one direction, thus proves the earth is stationary and any theoretical maths are not put into practice because it doesn't reflect reality.

Go ahead and argue that pilots would have to adjust for a 31 mile drop of curvature in the span of one hour and that gravity magically corrects their course. Railroad engineers never have to account for curvature over miles and miles because it doesn't reflect reality.
>>
>>7693054
Because ofcourse railroad engineers use steel segments that are several miles long!
The actual base of their entire construction is already curved.
>>
>>7693054
>I can just observe the wind not constantly moving in one direction, thus proves the earth is stationary and any theoretical maths are not put into practice because it doesn't reflect reality.
So if you move around in a bus, the bus is stationary? Jesus.

>Go ahead and argue that pilots would have to adjust for a 31 mile drop of curvature in the span of one hour
You seem to be calculating the dropoff if you travel in a straight line from some point on a sphere. It's like saying that planes orthogonal to their origin on the surface of the earth until they are hundreds of miles above their destination and then fly straight nosedown towards the earth. Yes, if planes actually did that they would need to fly 31 miles down to their destination after an hour of flight. But planes don't do that, they follow the curve of the earth at a constant height, because that is the shortest path in the air, only a small amount longer than the distance on the actual surface.
>>
>>7693070
>>7693089

I'm pretty confident this guy just likes to rustle jimmies.
>>
>>7693054
>Railroad engineers never have to account for curvature over miles and miles because it doesn't reflect reality.

But.. they do. Engineers have to account for curvature when building bridges all the time.
>>
>>7691937

I've been following SOHO for years and seen some pretty bizarre stuff.

It also wasn't shear luck. Large flares, GRBs and CMEs aren't the product of a butterfly flapping its wings.

Anyway I ain't even scared. The odds of most of us noticing something like that coming our way are incredibly slim.

Unless you're only worried about the EMP side of things, which is why I enjoy the fact that firearms and crossbows do not require electricity.

Would be pretty epic honestly. I enjoy my life and I don't like to give in to puerile fantasies but how often does one get the chance to see the exponential rise of computing, the birth of the internet, enjoy very much unspoiled and natural beauty where I live.

Next to a surgeon or a former military operator I'm probably the one of the luckiest finds around.

Would it be so bad to just hit the reset button every one in a while just to see how the next iteration turns out?
>>
>>7693138

Why are you using so many acronyms?
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.