[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
time and absolut 0
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: 2000px-CelsiusKelvin.svg.png (136 KB, 2000x3814) Image search: [Google]
2000px-CelsiusKelvin.svg.png
136 KB, 2000x3814
Hey, i was just wondering, time is define by mouvement. So, if there is no mouvement of atoms at the absolut 0 and not even the atoms can move, wouldn't that mean that time would stand still?
>>
>>7690942
yes
http://lesswrong.com/lw/qp/timeless_physics/
>>
>>7690942
>Hey, i was just wondering, time is define by mouvement.
Nope, it's often measured by movement, but your claim is like saying I don't have height if I don't have a ruler.
>>
>>7691197
not OP, but thanks for the site, it's pretty neat
>>
>>7691201
> since 1967 the second has been defined as the duration of 9192631770 periods of the radiation corresponding to the transition between the two hyperfine levels of the ground state of the caesium 133 atom.

for me this is mouvement.
and thanks for the website!
>>
>>7691958
>for me this is mouvement.
What part of "it's often measured by movement" are you missing?

>>7691197
>http://lesswrong.com/lw/qp/timeless_physics/
This whole page is talking about measuring time by observing movement.
But since time (presumably) exists even when it isn't being observed, their point is moot.
It's like saying the space between atoms doesn't exist because there's nothing there.
>>
>>7690942
time is defined by CHANGE not necessarily movement.
>>
>>7692027
So if there is no change due to it being absolute zero there would be no time in that area, correct?
>>
>>7692027
I fail to see the importance of this distinction. How can change be anything but movement? How can anything change without movement? What I'm trying to say is, isn't change the exact same thing as movement?
>>
>>7692007
>This whole page is talking about measuring time by observing movement.
Can we measuring time without observing mouvement? i mean if we can't see mouvement in a vidéo it will change to a photo, and in a photo there is no time.
Isn't a good analogy?
>>
>>7692120
But time still exists even if you don't measure it.
>>
>>7690942
>So, if there is no mouvement of atoms at the absolut 0 and not even the atoms can move, wouldn't that mean that time would stand still?
A particle that slows down toward zero velocity would have a very well defined position and therefore an undefined momentum, making it impossible to actually reach 0K. It's impossible to get rid of motion.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.