[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are some examples of notable scientists/mathematicians/other
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: nash.jpg (38 KB, 500x379) Image search: [Google]
nash.jpg
38 KB, 500x379
What are some examples of notable scientists/mathematicians/other intellectuals who had a severe mental illness?
>>
>>7690889
They say both Godel and Cantor were crazy, though not officially diagnosed with anything both of them spent time in mental hospitals and you know Godel starved himself to death so that's gotta be some kind of insanity.
>>
>>7690889
John Nash
>>
>>7690897
This
>>
>>7690889
Neil deGrasse Tyson.

He's black....
>>
>>7690895
Rofl, more exactly, Godel thought all his food was poisoned so he didn't eat and die of starvation. He was crazy as fuck (delusional and psychotic) for his entire life as well
>>
>>7690916
I wonder if he was an undiagnosed schizophrenic honestly.

Whatever was wrong with him he was also a genius so he had that going for him.

Some suspect Cantor was manic depressive.
>>
>>7690916

>Later in his life, Gödel suffered periods of mental instability and illness. He had an obsessive fear of being poisoned; he would eat only food that his wife, Adele, prepared for him. Late in 1977, she was hospitalized for six months and could no longer prepare her husband's food. In her absence, he refused to eat, eventually starving to death.[21] He weighed 65 pounds (approximately 30 kg) when he died. His death certificate reported that he died of "malnutrition and inanition caused by personality disturbance" in Princeton Hospital on January 14, 1978.[22] Adele's death followed in 1981.

:(
>>
>>7690964
:(
>>
>>7690912
kek
>>
>>7690897
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aS_d0Ayjw4o
>>
>>7690897
Nash had lots of gay buttsex by the way, and had legal issues because of this back in the times. It's actually true, Google it.
>>
>>7690889
It kind of depends how you define notable and severe, but off the top of my head:
>Boltzmann (depression, suicide)
>Ehrenfest (depression, killed one of his sons and then suicide)
>Bromwich (depression, suicide)
>Nash (Schizophrenia)
>Dirac (autism)
>Heaviside (Don't know but just read about his final few years)
>>
I dunno if you can call it a mental illness, but Erdos was obviously a bit of a tweaker with some hardcore addiction issues.

I think mathematicians with personality disorders are more than the rule than the exception
>>
>>7690912
Uhh you nailed the illness part, but the people ITT are supposed to be scientists.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.