[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do people like cigarettes? I've never smoked, but they
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3
File: imgay.jpg (76 KB, 550x412) Image search: [Google]
imgay.jpg
76 KB, 550x412
Why do people like cigarettes? I've never smoked, but they smell like ass and have nothing but bad side effects. Is there any sort of buzz?
>>
>>7690807
They actually make you smarter, not even joking.
>>
>>7690807

they are very calming.
>>
>>7690817
scientize that claim por favor

The only positive I've ever heard is weight loss and shorter life span
>>
>>7690838
dunno how degen you are, but what would you compare the calmness to? I've tried weed, benzos, ambien, alcohol, etc. so where would you rank cigs with all of those?

I'm asking out of curiosity because I'm have a really hard time right now and SSRIs and SNRIs aren't working to quell my suicidal thoughts
>>
File: 1446536704333.jpg (433 KB, 1143x1600) Image search: [Google]
1446536704333.jpg
433 KB, 1143x1600
>Is there any sort of buzz?

Nope, the sole reason people endure the social stigmas and myriad of health risks is because it looks cool. Greatest marketing gimmick of our time, convincing the public that inhaling noxious smoke will attract friends and get them laid.

Of course there's a "buzz". I get so fucking annoyed by all these anti-smoking campaigns that portray the habit as a result of brain-washing and misinformation by the tobacco industry. Most smokers are well aware of the dangers. They don't give a fuck.
>>
>>7690839
>scientize that claim
every famous scientist ever smoked the pipe. Even fucking gandalf does it. Just try it kid trust me
>>
>>7690855
>implying a cigarette is the same as a pipe.
>>
>>7690843

I haven't tried any of those but it feels like it slows my heart rate and down to about 50%.

I only smoke though when I'm shitfaced drunk behind a club, so not really a 'regular' smoker either.
>>
>>7690864

*any of these besides alcohol.

alcohol doesn't calm you! you can't really compare it to that.
>>
"The perfect form of a perfect pleasure, for having satisfied, it leaves one wanting for more.". Try it, you know you'll like it.
>>
>>7690855
i'm not a kid I'm 26. you sound like a retred

>>7690869
it calms me. i drink straight vodka though

>>7690852
that's sort of what i figured. i wish there was an effective drug for depression i've been feeling 1 foot off the ledge for months
>>
>>7690807
I've never smoked either and don't intend to but I kind of like the smell desu.
>>
>all the fuckers in this thread not realizing synthetic pure nicotine has all the upsides of smoking with barely any of the downsides
???
>>
They smell bad but they taste good.
>>
File: lesmokingman.jpg (7 KB, 243x240) Image search: [Google]
lesmokingman.jpg
7 KB, 243x240
>>7690807
idk why you think people smoke but it gives you a head high, at least when you first start. It hits harder if you've been drinking. After smoking for a while the head high isnt so much the main focus. It becomes an itch that is satisfying to scratch, like stretching when you first wake up. It helps keep you awake, relieves tension, and kills you quicker.
>>
>>7690980
They smell bad and taste bad unless it's menthol? Either way they're terrible for you and offer no benefits except for maybe a "buzz" that goes away after your second day of smoking.

Honestly I think the "buzz" you get from smoking is oxygen depletion to the brain. It's fucking stupid.
>>
If you just want a buzz and calming effect then just get a vape with some nicotine in it. Much healthier.
>>
>>7690807
one it kills time that is the main reason half of the army smokes and two it is a downer so it feels like you are calming down. shit everyone around me knows when i am stressed because that is when i start bumming smokes or buy them
>>
>>7690994
doesn't really sound like what i'm after. (see >>7690886 ) thanks, though
>>
>>7691017
i have xanax for that, but I usually burn through my 90 supply within 2 weeks then am in hell for the back half of the month
>>
>>7691020
I can assure you that xanax is far more harmful for your brain than cigarette consumption
>>
>>7691038
short term or long term? I'm suicidal right now (i have therapists and shit so I'm not looking for attention/sympathy) but I'd think the pros would outweigh the cons in this case
>>
>>7691038
this
>>
>>7690807
>Why do people like cigarettes?

In 2015? Literally just to look cool.

>>7690817
>They actually make you smarter

False.

>>7690838
>they are very calming.

They are only calming because you are addicted to them. You're just calming yourself to the level of someone who isn't addicted.
>>
>>7691040
yea, I'm talking about long term, prolonged usage of benzos can cause brain damage, have you tried SSRIs? SSRI should help you more assuming you suffer from depression, unless anxiety is what makes you feel like that.
>>
I really like the smell of cigarettes while they're being smoked. The buzz is pretty nice too, but you tend to get a tolerance against it if you smoke often enough. The main reason why I like smoking is that it gives me an excuse to leave a larger group and collect my thoughts for a bit or have a side conversation with less noise.
>>
>>7691053
>>They actually make you smarter
they do in short term, nicotine is basically caffeine on steroids
>>
>>7691064

Caffeine doesn't make you smarter either.
>>
>>7691066
it does, or should I say more intelligent? it improves your cognitive abilities for a short period of time
>>
I used to smoke and it's OK, I guess. I dunno, frankly nicotine has got to be the most boring drug in existence. It's not even that addictive. I've had a much harder time quitting caffeine than I ever did kicking my cigarette habit. And caffeine is more fun, which should really tell you something about how fun smoking is.
>>
>>7690807
many people actually like ass, even if it is full of unhealthy stuff.
>>
Pleasure, mostly. I know it's hard for ASD sufferers to empathize but give it a try, you never know what you'll find out.
>>
>>7691128
>ASD
I have BPD which feels like a "you're fucked" disease
>>
>>7690855
I am not a fan of saying but "corolational =/= causation" but honestly it actually applies here
>>
>>7690807
You get a buzz off em. I've been smoking for 8 years and I have no idea how people smoke more than a pack a day.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.