[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
In the book "The Martian" there is a scene which amounts
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: pmZumG6Z.png (529 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
pmZumG6Z.png
529 KB, 500x500
In the book "The Martian" there is a scene which amounts to the main character being trapped inside a box which he want to move relative to outside (a level surface). He achieves this by jumping in the air and kicking the box. He then refines this by just jumping and slamming his back into the wall. Would this work? It seems like trollscience and I'm not sure about the momentum situation?
>>
>>7690666
When was this? For some reason, I don't remember this scene, are you trying to bait /sci/ again?
>>
>>7690672
>In the book
>>
WITNESSED
>>
If the surface has friction, then sure. No problem.
>>
goddamn OP, don't you have ANY physical intuition at all? It's no different than being able to move an office chair by rocking back and forth while lifting your feet
>>
>>7690740
This
>>
>>7690666
You know how you can sit on a chair with wheels and scoot it forward by doing the same thing?
>>
Conservation of momentum? Non-stem student here.
>>
>>7690740

This. First time I read it I was confused because I was expecting it to be a much more difficult problem and instead it was literal baby tier intuition.
>>
>>7690666
really want to punch Damon's face in this pic tbqh
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.