[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
THIS IS NOT a homework question, just something I would like
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
THIS IS NOT a homework question, just something I would like for you guys to help me solve for fun and pic not related, I needed a pic.

Hey /sci/, I have a question that should be easy enough for you guys to solve. I know Its against the rules but I really need this question solved.

The question:

Holly Woods is a popular actress and Joe Fish is an up and coming young comedian. Joe has an income which is five-eights of holly's income. Joe's expenses are one-half of those of Holly's income, and Joe's saves 40% of his income

Determine the percentage of her income that Holly Woods Saves.

I suck at math and saw this question in my sisters notebook and tried to solve it but couldn't, and I've been trying to solve this for hours yesterday. So please help me out /sci/, also please show your entire process.
>>
Nice homework blog
>>
>>7690639
Anon, it really isn't my homework. This problem came out of my 9th grade sisters notebook and I'm
frustrated that I cant even solve it, pls help.
>>
>>7690635
that pic though,
way to complicate the simplest multiplication ever.
>>
>>7690644

>it's not my homework
>it's my sister's homework

It's irrelevant whose homework it is. If you want to learn basic maths look at khanacademy.
>>
>>7690649
Anon just pls help this has been killing me
>>
>>7690635
>Joe's expenses are one-half of those of Holly's income

Are you sure it shouldn't be

>Joe's expenses are one-half of those of Holly's expenses

Because as it is you get two mutually inconsistent form for Holly's income.
>>
>>7690645
I think it's kind of clever actually. you probably just poorly on the SAT
>>
>>7690635
Just list your variables, equations, and solve if possible.
HI = Holly's income
JI = Joe's income
HE = Holly's expenses
JE = Joe's expenses
HS = Holly's saved percentage
JS = Joe's saved percentage

JI = 5/8*HI
JE = 1/2*HE (going with assumption in >>7690664)
JS = 1-JE/JI = 0.4
0.4 = 1-1/2*HE/(5/8HI)
0.6 = 4/5*HE/HI
HE/HI = 0.75
HS = 1-HE/HI = 1-0.75 = 0.25

She saves a quarter of her income. These people are pretty okay with their money.
>>
>>7690645
This can be used to quickly multiply larger numbers in your head; it's the method I've been doing for awhile.

For example, 14x16. The average of 14 and 16 is 15, and 15 squared is 225. So 14x16 is 225-1 =224.
>>
>>7691607
>larger numbers
>14 and 16
>doing problems where you have to solve 14×16
Yeah no
Useless complication.
>>
>>7690635

>-1 squared = -1

Triggered
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.