[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there direction in space?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: image1.jpg (355 KB, 618x400) Image search: [Google]
image1.jpg
355 KB, 618x400
If it's all just...space, then could I theoretically flip myself in any direction and still be in the natural accordance of things?
>>
>>7690033
An astronaut said the best way to get your head round it is to know there is no down.
>>
>>7690042
>not knowing that the enemy's gate is down
pleb
>>
>>7690033
once you have a reference to something, you have a direction, pertaining to that reference.
>>
>>7690094
Who is "you"? Because "I" can stand on my head right now and the same directions would still apply as if I were right side up.
>>
>>7690107
that's fine, but doesn't change that whether i'm "normal standing" and you're floating upside down, that relevant to our position, to say, the space station from our shuttle. you may be seeing it upside down and i see it as right side up, we're located a determined distance from it with our shuttle.

in other words, doesn't matter what you and i see in our perspective, as long as we both understand where we are relevant to what we need to do.
>>
>>7690033
You'll lose your natural sense of up/down. Down is all relative anyway. I think of it like this. If you were on the moon, moon is down 1, earth being the parent is down 2, sun being earth's parent is down 3. Down depends on what you are orbiting.
>>
>>7690070
This desu senpai
>>
>>7690033

direction only exists inside a reference frame. so the north pole is "above" north america, but it cannot be said that the north pole is "above".
direction requires reference to a fixed point.
>>
>>7690195
>>7690165
>>7690161
>>7690042
So if I imagine our solar system upside down does it still make sense?
>>
>>7690070
Nigga
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.