[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Timetraveler Stories
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 6
File: mfwnospacesuit.gif (128 KB, 596x572) Image search: [Google]
mfwnospacesuit.gif
128 KB, 596x572
>be me
>timetraveler
>travel trough time
>only time, not space
>end up in space because earth has moved like it always does.
>mfw no spacesuit
>>
spacetime does not work that way! goodnight!
>>
>>7688605
>spacetime does not work that way! goodnight!
then please tell me how it works mister goodnight
>>
>>7688596
>travel through time to stop a tragic event
>succeed
>never travel through time because I stopped the reason I went back from ever happening
>>
>travel through time
>kill my infant self because science
And then the Universe explodes, the end.
>>
File: Sliders-Cast.jpg (47 KB, 665x375) Image search: [Google]
Sliders-Cast.jpg
47 KB, 665x375
>>7688648
>>7688656
in this case you would end up in another timeline...
but the same space...
>>
File: img-thing.jpg (21 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
img-thing.jpg
21 KB, 300x300
>>7688596
Yes.
>>
>>7688645
>then please tell me how it works

The Earth is not moving in any absolute sense because there is no absolute frame of reference.

There is no such thing as only traveling through time, since there is no such thing as the "same place" in any absolute sense, only in a given frame of reference.

There is also no such thing as the same time, i.e. simultaneous events. If two events that are separate in space are simultaneous in one frame of reference, they will not be simultaneous in any other frame of reference.

All you can really say about the relationship between two events ("points in spacetime") is whether it is possible for information to travel between them. If yes, their relationship is "timelike", if no it is "spacelike"
>>
File: neil-degrasse-tyson.jpg (142 KB, 1921x960) Image search: [Google]
neil-degrasse-tyson.jpg
142 KB, 1921x960
>>7688755
that would mean you travel through time AND space.
in that case you wouldnt even need a spaceship to travel to other planets.
you just sit in your timemachine and travel to the coordinates...
>>
>>7688952
No
>>
File: speed-of-light.jpg (63 KB, 620x413) Image search: [Google]
speed-of-light.jpg
63 KB, 620x413
>>7688960
yes
>>
>>7688596
Arnie was as ugly as Mr Robot there.
>>
>>7688755
>>7688952
>>7688960
>>7688989
are we talking two portals type time machine in which you can only travel back as far as the portal was first created and to its position at that time or are we talking about the usual movie time machine type where it can jump to any time?
The first does have a single position you can be at at the end of the time travel, the second doesn't but writers usually just say you end up at your current position relative to the earth.
>>
>>7688989
Is this actually what you would see if you were going the speed of light?
>>
>>7689163
no. when you travel @sol everything is dark
>>
>>7688952
>that would mean you travel through time AND space.

nigga, it is called spacetime..
>>
File: Starship_Bridge.jpg (75 KB, 825x638) Image search: [Google]
Starship_Bridge.jpg
75 KB, 825x638
>>7689960
bullshit
in that case you wouldnt even need a spaceship to travel to other planets.
you just sit in your timemachine and travel to the coordinates...
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.