[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does /sci/ comment their calculations?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
Was browsing the pictures on the Handwriting Thread >>7683940 and a lot of Anons "comment" their calculations(writing out the steps they took).
Do you guys do it?
Do I need to do it?
Will it help me understand better?
>>
yeah i do it, it generally helps when i'm re-reading my notes

i also do it on exams unless i'm rushed for time
>>
I try to do it for every problem, unless the solution is super obvious, I'm pressed for time, or I'm not feeling motivated at the moment.

How in depth the comments are generally depends on how confused I was when I did the work. For problems that take me forever to solve, I might wind up writing a fucking book detailing everything and why.
>>
>>7687509
Always, otherwise you'll get no clarity marks.
>>
>>7687509
I do it I do it with a red pen I always thought I was Autistic or something.....makes me feel good now.
>>
I only do it when taking notes in class, for assignments and such I just have a mess of calculations.
>>
>>7687551
>Clarity marks
Is this a real thing?
>>
>>7687509
Sometimes for homeworks I'll know something is true and justify it in writing that way the grader doesn't think I'm just making things up to get the correct answer.

Also if I'm taking notes for classes/review I'll usually comment on what things mean that can understand the notes when I reread them.

I'm a physics major, so I feel like it might be more necessary for me to remind myself of what the equations mean physically. I could see how math people might not need to write as much explanation of their work since math contains most of the information in the notation.
>>
>>7687571
When supervisors mark your assignments, there are 5 marks (or whatever your university uses) available for clarity.
OP would lose clarity marks in the first 4 lines of his work.
>>
Yes I do, especially for physics I might just say via *thoerem*
>>
>>7687509
We have to do it on tests, I don't always do it when I'm solving problems myself.
>>
>>7687571
Yes, and it's very good practice for when you eventually write papers.
>>
Yes, and if I were a TA, I would not give points to solutions without sentences. A computation with no context, no explanation of who the variables are, where they live and what you are doing is just no good.
Not that you should write a wall of text but at least introduce the variables at the beginning "Let x in ..." and indicate all nontrivial steps.
>>
>>7687509
Yes. For one professors award more points.
"For two" I hate going back to a problem and thinking "how the fuck did I think this was intuitive before?"
>>
Commenting your work also helps you understand the subject better, you're thinking of ways to put what you're doing into words.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.