[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Time Travel Ego Trip
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4
File: time-machine.jpg (123 KB, 989x742) Image search: [Google]
time-machine.jpg
123 KB, 989x742
How far back in time do you think you'd have to go to be considered a genius?

I think I might have seemed pretty smart in the 12 century when trebuchets and wooden weapons of death made a military advanced.

IQ: 110-120
Qualifications: BS Computer Science
Work: Software Engineer (Gaems)
Academic Interest(s): AI/Deep Learning, Chemistry, Quantum Jargonics
Hobbies: Illustration, Animation.. Graphic Design/Motion Graphics
>>
You might be smarter, but how would you demonstrate it? How would you even know for yourself that you're smarter than 12th centurians if you're incapable of demonstrating it?

What I mean is that, assuming it was just your body/mind that was transported back in time, you wouldn't have any technology to show them. Even if they did listen to anything you say, which is unlikely, they wouldn't give a shit or wouldn't understand most of what you have to say. None of it would be relevant, applicable, or translatable to their world. Also I can imagine that if you tried to criticise their reasoning or cultural norms, they'd just gut you.
>>
>>7686937
>How would you even know for yourself that you're smarter than 12th centurians
More/better food, very little infectious disease, proper education

For a few decades last century the average IQ based on raw scores was 3pts higher per decade or some shit. Or in other words the average person now could go back to 1915 and get 130 on an IQ test. People today are demonstrably smarter than people not even that long ago.
>>
>>7686829
I think reddit would be a better place for this thread. There you can circlejerk with equally cringeworthy people who also like to pretend they are polymaths just because they have a CS undegrad degree.
>>
>>7686937
You could invent the technology yourself.
And the future as it was wouldn't exist so you'd probably disappear suddenly because you wouldn't have existed.
>>
Probably about 300,000 years.

The oft-quoted IQ creep is an indicator of its insufficiency as a test which measures unlearnable things, not evidence of increasing intelligence. Besides, that creep happens in the statistical mean, not in the outliers. All you have to do is go back and read Archimedes and realize people have not been getting smarter on an individual level decade to decade. And the idea is rather insulting to everything we know about evolution. In fact anyone who even posits such a claim is horribly ill-read and poorly-educated.

If you went back in time with a lot of modern knowledge, you'd certainly appear to be like some hyper-intelligent alien, but after a few decades and the smartest people from back then take your concepts and do more with them than you could ever dream of and the people talk with you about it and find someone dull and encyclopedic, you're not going to appear particularly smart.
>>
>>7686966

It's an alternate timeline though my man
>>
>>7686971
>The oft-quoted IQ creep is an indicator of its insufficiency as a test which measures unlearnable things, not evidence of increasing intelligence.[] And the idea is rather insulting to everything we know about evolution.
The proposed IQ creep isn't because
>hurr we're evolving decade to decade
but because better nutrition, healthcare, and education and you are in fact the retard for suggesting otherwise.
>>
>>7686937
this. Look at how new ideas are greeted on /sci/ everyone is hostile and dismissive. Same story throuoght the ages. Steam powere was resisted by the navy who you would have thought would have snapped it up because they said it was noisy, messy and sails worked fine,for them. Not to mention havingbto overthrow current teaching with your new ideas. Humans are inherently dogmatic and dont like,to admit they were wrong.
>>7686971
Also this, knowledge=/=intelligence. They would take your knowledge and quickly outsmart you.
>>
File: thomas.jpg (42 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
thomas.jpg
42 KB, 500x500
>>7686829
I don't need to time travel. Modern society allows me to be a genius even at only 130 IQ. Like, I browse this board and I know that even though I'm a NEET who knows nothing about mathematics, I'm still so much more intelligent than everybody who browses this board. And /sci/ is in what percentile of intelligence? Then I look at the TV and see niggers rapping about cars and money whilst women twerk in the background. If I'm not a genius in the year 2015, I want to meet who is.

*sigh*

Anyway, take it from me, a genius - you don't want to be a genius. It fucking sucks.
>>
File: 1310110107280.jpg (413 KB, 1000x750) Image search: [Google]
1310110107280.jpg
413 KB, 1000x750
>>7687924
>I'm still so much more intelligent than everybody who browses this board
Probably true.
>>
>>7686829
>Qualifications: BS Computer Science

>>>/g/tfo
>>
>>7686829
just travel to the future. we already passed the iq climax and iq will get lower from generation to generation...
>>
>>7686829
Probably a hundred years would be enough for me to perform well in academia.
I wouldn't accomplish anything great, but I might beat a couple people to the punch on their famous discoveries, giving them space to think about something else.
>>
To me, intelligence is closer to one's ability to grasp, understand, and explain a concept rather than brute encyclopedic knowledge.

So you're probably as smart as the smarter side of the population of whenever you go, you'll just also have more knowledge of how things work and why.

Also please stop thinking that IQ means anything. It's a completely worthless measure.
>>
>>7687924
>niggers rapping about cars and money whilst women twerk in the background
>this somehow indicates stupidity
Those niggers have it all figured out senpai. Make money, get bitches, that's the secret of life.
>>
>>7686829
Why would I go anywhere? I'm perfectly fine with a being a genius here.
>>
>>7686829
Intelligence isn't static so I'd say I'd get bored enough to become a genius anywhere prior to 1700's.
>>
just send me back to the early 1700s. I'll redo all of gauss' early shit in number theory and just ride on that stuff the rest of my life
>>
File: mfw.png (232 KB, 415x373) Image search: [Google]
mfw.png
232 KB, 415x373
>be me
>timetraveler
>travel trough time
>only time not space
>end up in space because earth has moved like it always does.
>mfw no spacesuit
>>
>>7689444
>>7689407
Fucking this, you people have no imagination. I'd find Charles Babbage and get the difference engine built and actually running.
>"Bro, use binary you fucking troglodite."
>"My word, but how do I organize the data to carry out instructions?"
>"Alright sit down scrub, i'm gonna teach you some assembly and we'really gonna make ourselves a janky ass cpu with these rods and levers."
>"Your words are strange time traveller but your notes are fascinating. This might work"
>"Alright stay here for a bit, I'm gonna write some letters about set theory and lambda calculus to some 10 year old autists and get us started on some next level shit"
>Usher in glorious cyberpunk 1800s
>>
>>7686944
You can't extrapolate backwards using the Flynn effect.

It was a very temporary bounce masking a long-term downwards trend. It's already over and the last two decades saw an accelerating decline of IQ in the West.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0160289607000463
>>
>>7686829
You would have way more knowledge, but you wouldn't be a genius. Due to dysgenic effects and domestication, we've been getting stupider and stupider. Our basic physiological processing speed has gone down tremendously (100 ms in reaction time, 20+ genetic IQ points). It's only due to increasing healthcare and nutrition that the effect isn't obvious.

Almost every non peasant in ancient times would have faster processing speed, larger working memory and better spatial manipulation. You would only be better at pattern recognition.
>>
>>7689923
Kek
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.