[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Physics dummy here. Please explain to me why gravitational mass
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: hot_labcoat.jpg (172 KB, 600x721) Image search: [Google]
hot_labcoat.jpg
172 KB, 600x721
Physics dummy here.

Please explain to me why gravitational mass and inertial mass are the same.
In principle they don't have to be the same, do they?

A hot anime grill for your trouble /sci/.
>>
>>7685434
gravity is energy warping space
inertia is difficulty to move energy
>>
>>7685446
Why is it difficult to move energy?
>>
>>7685463
Because it's condensed into matter, wich is dense? Because you don't move energy, energy moves you? I'm affraid you might have to ask the higgs boson for more information on this...Matter.
>>
>>7685463
Because E = mc^2 which means there is actually a lot of energy in matter. Think of it as vector addition, right, two vectors of equal magnitude in directions at an angle to each other, form a vector at some average angle between the two. The energy vector in mass is huge becuase E = mc^2 so it takes an equally large force to change that vector's direction.
>>
>>7685434
>Please explain to me why gravitational mass and inertial mass are the same.
>In principle they don't have to be the same, do they?
It's expected that they are the same thing. Gravitational mass is associated with Newton's Law of Gravitation:

[eqn]F = \frac{G*M_{gravitational}*m_{gravitational}}{r^2}[/eqn]

Inertial mass is associated with Newton's Second Law:

[eqn]F = m_{inertial}*a[/eqn]

A good clue that they are the same thing can be found by looking at accelerations. Via experimentation, acceleration of object m towards M appears to be dependent only on G, M and r^2. This can only be true if both types of masses are equivalent to each other.

Now that isn't proof they are the same (and I use the word proof loosely here). There could be an actual difference between the two. Maybe we can't measure to the precision required to show that difference. However, based on what we know, it's not out of the question to say they are the same.
>>
>>7685608
Energy is a scalar.
>>
>>7685434
You are correct: they don't have to be the same. No one knows why they are. The idea that they are the same is called the Equivalence Principle, and people are devising ever more clever experiments to test it.
> http://einstein.stanford.edu/STEP/information/data/stepwhat2.html
>>
>>7685463
It's difficult to move energy because there's a very very large amount of energy in matter. The faster it moves the heavier it gets and the more energy it takes to move faster. Thus is inertia.
>>
>>7685915
>The faster it moves the heavier it gets
And when you move too fast you become a black hole?
>>
>>7686065
>when you move too fast
Velocities are relative. It's everything around you moving too fast.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.