[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tropics
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4
File: 191888-melisenta.jpg (724 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
191888-melisenta.jpg
724 KB, 1600x1200
So, appearantly we humans are a tropical species, I just read about this right now. Even Europeans, Inuits and other folks in the north! How on Earth? I assumed that populations who live in colder climates for a couple of thousand years would have adapted to the climate. But it turns out, nope. We are still very much are slaves to warm air. The lightening of our skin, the changes to our hair and eyes are quite literally...just skin deep.

Now, if we accept this theory, does that mean that if we moved let's say an average European to a place with tropical climate, they'd benefit from it health-wise? If so, what kinds of benefits are we talking about here? Or, if they wouldn't get any benefits, why not?
>>
File: beaubrummel.jpg (42 KB, 182x416) Image search: [Google]
beaubrummel.jpg
42 KB, 182x416
False
>>
I lived in the south hemisphere for 30 yrs, 12 of those I lived in the tropic of capricorn, now I'm living in the north

sure nordics thrive here, but they cannot wait to escape to some wet hot paradise. I thought I would love the winters, but I cannot get used to them.

ok, having seasons is nice, and the nature is gorgeous, but man... the fucking witner darkness makes me wanna kill

/end anecdote
>>
>>7685073
Asians have puffy eyelids specifically because of an adaptation to cold. So, you are wrong, this whole thread is invalid.
>>
>>7685174
That makes no sense, if that was true, Europeans too would have the epicanthic fold since they live in even colder climates than asians. Plus eastern asia is mostly subtropical and temperate, why would they need to adapt their eyes to cold there?
>>
>>7685816
The asian race originated in the northern parts of Asia that were much colder than Europe.
>>7685073
The only non polar hominid is Neanderthallnesis.
>>
>>7685827
I think you meant the only polar hominid
>>
>>7685073
Correct, that's why the most advanced civilizations can be found within the tropics.
>>
File: 1447592114711.jpg (100 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1447592114711.jpg
100 KB, 640x480
>>7686290
>Africans, South Americans, Middle East
>advanced civilization
>>
File: 7867.jpg (22 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
7867.jpg
22 KB, 480x360
>>7686296
>>
Well, I mean, sunshine has many salubrious benefits. The UV rays don't affect vegetarians as much as non-natural food eaters.

Uh, the benefit'd be food in a technologyless society. Better food sources, more dense in vitamins and nutrients.

Hypothermia can't occur in the tropics (unless you dive to an absurd level of the depths of the ocean). Sickness'd be less likely too. Our immune systems probably way more preventative towards viruses and bacteria native to the aforementioned tropics.

It might be better for our circadian cycles during those winter months?
>>
>>7685073
No shit son. Humans have "adapted" to cold by being able to make warm clothes/shelter. Major evolutionary changes take longer than a few thousand years.

Fully naked a human wouldn't survive a day below 0.
>>
We're not though. Although humans evolved in tropical regions, the subspecies that emerged in Europe and central and eastern Asia are not at all adapted to tropical conditions.
>>
>>7686312

pls tell me more about this human subspecies...
>>
>>7686316
Colloquially they are called races. You do realise that humans are divided into subspecies, right? Surely I don't need to tell you more about race, given its prominence in society, right?
>>
>>7686308
A day? Assuming fahrenheit, try 2-4 hours. If celsius, the average human can maintain their body temperature at freezing just by shivering. That ignores windchill however, and any individual variances in thermogenesis efficiency, etc.

The problem with being naked in cold temperatures is direct contact with materials that transfer heat much more quickly than air, and you're also very apt to get wet. Body is warm, body touches stuff, stuff melts. That water is very difficult to truly get off you, and even if you do, the damage is done. That's calories, and heat, you aren't likely to get back.

Every snowflake is a fractional representation of your slow and inevitable death.
>>
>>7686321
>>7686316
>>7686312
Before this turns into "LOL GROW UP KIKE NIGGER" and "N-NO, R-REDDIT SAID THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE BETWEEN PEOPLE LA LA LA LA", do remember that a lack of melanin is an adaptation to get more Vitamin D from the sun in more northerly climates and Europeans, Central Asians, and some African tribes are some of the few lactose tolerant organisms on Earth.
>>
>>7686332
>Assuming fahrenheit
>On the science board

But yeah that's what I was getting at. Most large animals hibernate/migrate when it's cold and they have many more adaptations to the cold than humans do.
>>
>>7686344
>assuming Celsius
Pleb detected.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.