[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I have a pretty practical question for you guys Some time ago
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: IMG_20151127_142752.jpg (4 MB, 3120x4160) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151127_142752.jpg
4 MB, 3120x4160
I have a pretty practical question for you guys

Some time ago i had the urgent need to write in a way that i could only read, i didnt know the best way to do it so i ended up replacing each letter with a completely different character that has nothing in common with the original letter. Now i'm quite fast writing and reading it so its very convenient but i was thinking: is it safe? how easy would it be to decipher my code having a text of +1000 words, knowing the language i write in, and given that i dont use any punctuation, space and capital letters?

Also share your techniques for your secret stuff
>>
>>7684765
Assuming you consistently write it the same way yes someone could figure it out.

If you only write one message using a code however and then come up with an entirely different code next time then no they probably couldn't.
>>
>>7684765
You're using a substitution cipher. Think about the regular distribution of letters; there's more e's than q's, for instance. In fact, there's a letter frequency table you can look up that tells you how frequent a letter is in a given codex. If we tallied up your letters and matched it with the letter frequency, we might not get EVERY letter, nor would we necessarily get every letter exactly, but it would be an excellent starting point.

TL;DR substitution cipher is highly insecure.
>>
Hey op, I had a similar project a few years ago. Mentioning what that anon up there said, what I did was create characters for letters that were frequently paired together. Double L had its own character, "and" had its own character, anything that pairs with H, etc. Codes were my hobby at the time. It was fun but useless.
>>
>>7684765
Written cyphers are old hat, NSA has been beating them for decades. Use normal English and digitally encrypt. The only way to beat a strong password is to brute-force it which takes a shit ton of computing power.
>>
>>7684773
I thought so :/
Any suggestion for somenthing that is easy to read and easy to write?

>>7684781
Ah ah! I do it to! Every double consonant has its own character and also other frequent short word of my language

>>7684785
One of my priority is to be able to write in public or when my friends are around so i cant use that method
>>
File: Cryptoquip_inline.jpg (183 KB, 490x448) Image search: [Google]
Cryptoquip_inline.jpg
183 KB, 490x448
>>7684765
Newspapers use your code as a puzzle for bored old people to solve after breakfast.
>>
>>7684803
Try creating multiple characters for most letter and swap them out randomly. Makes a substitution cipher much more secure
>>
Substitution cyphers are the oldest and the most rudimentary and hence unsafe cryptographical methods
>>
>>7684781
>>7684803
I'm this guy. You know what I found was a strong similarity between katakana and this kind of cypher, I improved my cypher by making it phonetic based and writing it down. For instance, make common morphemes their own characters and combine them to make words. Like how Playstation in Japanese is "pu. Re. ii. Su. Ta. ii. Shyo. N." where, like I said before, each morpheme gets a character. It's a bit like mad gab but way more secure since it's a phonetic equivalence and not a written equivalent.
>>
You can improve security by coming up with new glyphs for vowel pairs (like "ai" in "raid"), and using the same glyph for several letters (like A, O, and U being the same for example) and using substitution and acronym tricks from short hand writing systems. Inspiration from leet-speek can work too, m8.

It won't be uncrackable, but it would be exceedingly hard for a layman.
>>
>>7684803
>>7684954
Look into shorthands if you want to speed up your writing: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shorthand The most famous is probably the Tironian system: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tironian_notes

If you ever read old handwritten and early typeset Latin texts, you will find tons of symbols that look like letters with marks or diacritics, these are a kind of shorthand as well.

I've intended to incorporate a system akin to this into my writing but I haven't had an opportunity yet. I don't write too much so it might not be as useful for me.
>>
>>7684954
If you want security, AES is a great cipher.
Hint: Pretty much anything that you'll come up with will be trivially breakable on a computer with enough data.
>>
Develop your very own language, and write it down in criptography with mathematical expressions.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.