[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Champion Rubiks Cuber
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 4
File: 4a8259427562956.jpg (66 KB, 735x634) Image search: [Google]
4a8259427562956.jpg
66 KB, 735x634
14 year old Lucas Etter has set a new world record for completing a Rubiks cude: 4.904 seconds, 0.35 seconds faster than the previous record.
He set it as the River Hill Fall competition in Clarksville, Maryland.

Speedcubers get 15 seconds to inspect the cube before attempting to solve it.

The world Rubik’s cube championship has taken place every two years since 2003, and world records – first set at 22.95 seconds by 16-year-old Minh Thai in 1982 - have been nimbly demolished ever since.

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/nov/24/teenage-boy-lucas-etter-solves-rubiks-cube-less-than-five-seconds-new-record

Pretty funny video, in a spergy sort of way.
>>
>>7683042
And how is this /sci/ related in any way?
>>
>nerd shit
>>>/out/
>>
>>7683048
http://news.mit.edu/2011/rubiks-cube-0629
>>
10000000000000% autism
>>
>>7683048
>IQ tests
>/sci/ related
>Rubik's Cubes
>Not /sci/ related
See the hypocrisy?
>>
File: image.jpg (57 KB, 621x502) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
57 KB, 621x502
>>7683073
>vox populi
>>
Nice. I'm at ~1:35 currently. Still a lot to improve
>>
>>7683073
So stop spamming IQ threads
>>
>>7683048
Group theory.

>>7683081
Sub 15 here, which method are you using?
>>
>>7683042
Thats some useless shit right there.

At least people training to zerg rush in 5 seconds use it to make friends since you need another person to play against.
>>
>>7683127
I started solving casually like 6 months ago. Last month or so, I started learning Fridrich/CFOP. So far, I remember about 20 algorithms for OLL+PLL both of which I do 2-look. I found out that I spend most of the time in F2L, so that's currently my focus.

Sub 15 is awesome. CFOP as well? I've read ZZ might be faster, but I've only glanced at it once; I'd probably want to get under 60 with CFOP first before trying something new.

>>7683136
>not wanting to make your gf cum with the sole power of your fingers
What are you, some kind of homo?
>>
>>7683152
Yeah, also using Fridrich.
Despite the fact that F2L takes the longest time, it is actually NOT a good idea to focus solely on it.
Remember: transition from cross to F2L, and from F2L to OLL also takes time and can be very clunky to do with little practice.
If you have a good cross, then naturally you'll have a good F2L too.
At a push I can do the first 3 F2L pairs in my head whilst doing the cross or during inspection.
If you want to get faster properly, you definitely need to work on making your TPS (Turns Per Second).
Many cubers at your level are into this "burst speed" TPS thing.
I strongly recommend making your TPS consistent since you'll ALWAYS be turning at the same speed AND over time this consistent TPS will naturally increase.
There's no shame in starting at 1 TPS and working your way up. Honestly, good "look ahead" is one of the main things that "slow" cubers like to ignore. These guys often pop the cube while "bursting" too.
ZZ is possibly faster, but hey, Roux is also possibly faster. Get experimental once you're more comfortable with the cube.
You may also want to try one handed solving (use your left hand if you're right handed, and right hand if you're left handed, the algorithms are more intuitive that way). It may take a week or so though before your hand is used to turning the cube like that.
>>
>>7683180
Hey, thanks for the tips. I admit that my spatial imagination is somewhat lacking at the moment.

Do you have any tips on how to make a good cross? I usually go with either of white, yellow, or orange on the bottom, whichever "seems" to require the fewest moves to get the cross. Those colours simply because they're bright and easy to spot.

I've actually tried solving one-handed a few times, but it's been clunky.
>>
>>7683195
For cross practice I've found the following very very effective (after some time of course, nothing with cubing will change your times immediately):
1) Forget inspection time.
Scramble the cube with an "official" scramble (so the scramble is between 18-22 moves).
I personally use prisma puzzle timer since it works with the stackmat timer, but for an online timer, I quite liked qqtimer too.
Then, with your scrambled cube, inspect it for as long as you want.
The aim here is to solve the cross in your mind.
Once you believe that you have done this, close your eyes and solve the cross.
At first you may find this hard, but don't worry, this is natural. In fact, you may only be able to solve 1 or 2 edges. Just push yourself a little bit over your comfort zone and eventually you'll be able to solve the entire cross, and maybe even some F2L pairs. e.g. if you can do 2 edges comfortably, keep pushing yourself to get that third edge solved.
2) Become colour neutral.
This is something that's very very difficult to do once you're become an established speedcuber since you already have your own habits, including bad ones.
You're still quite early, so just randomly pick a colour before scrambling the cube and then once the cube is scrambled, solve that cross.
Furthermore, solve the F2L, OLL and PLL.
F2L is actually harder to do than the cross when it comes to solving on "new" colours since recognition of pairs and "look ahead" gets messed up with new colours.
Don't discriminate against crosses that are easiest to do, you need the practice after all.
Once you've become colour neutral, then you can pick a cross that appeals to you during inspection.
It's worth noting that opposite colour neutrality is a phenomenon that will aid you massively here. So in essence, you'll only need to learn 3 colours; the other 3 will come quite quickly.
If you can do white, then you can do yellow quite easily for example.
>>
>>7683195
>>7683210
continuing (comment too long):
Personally, I found orange (and as a result, red) quite hard to become colour neutral on.
Also, if you like to have good quality stickers, as opposed to the thin default ones that a lot of speedcubes come with, I recommend having a look at cubesmith.
Huge choice of sticker colours and materials there. (I personally use the Half-Bright Set)
Of course, you'll be thrown off colourwise for a bit, but it should take less than a week to get used to them again.

In regards to one hand, I managed to peel the skin off my pinky (which hardened back after some time) trying to get used to turning it.
If you're -really- into one-handed, there are even Fridrich algorithms suited for that.
Ones that consist only of R and U turns (or L and U turns if you do one-handed with your right hand).
I didn't really bother to learn those and I'm comfortably sub 25.
>>
>>7683072
1% luck, 20% skill
15% concentrated power of will

5% pleasure,
20% pain
100% reason to remember the autism.
>>
>>7683210
>>7683218
Damn, thanks again. Who would have guessed one could stumble upon quality content on /sci/?
>>
>>7683244
No problem, you'll have fun learning.
And yeah, quality is really lacking here so I just stumble over to stackexchange these days.
>>
File: rub_-_5__enlarged.jpg (22 KB, 480x416) Image search: [Google]
rub_-_5__enlarged.jpg
22 KB, 480x416
>>7683254
In case you're still around: What cube(s) do you use?
I have the original, but it's old and creaky. I bought the Rubik's V2 recently, but it's impossible to disassemble to get it lubricated. I've read about some Chinese ones, but I have no idea which one to get.
>>
>>7684752
Wow, didn't know that this thread was still alive.
I use the Dayan GuHong V1 from Lubix: http://lubixcube.com/Lubix_Dayan_GuHong_V1.html
For 3x3 cubes, I highly recommend Dayans.
More than enough for a beginner and still more than enough for competition standard.
Warning: do not buy stickerless cubes (the ones where the sides are coloured plastic). These are actually quite different to speedsolve in terms of recognition, and are actually banned in competitions because you can see more than 3 sides at once.
You may wish to experiment with other cubes at some point too.
I liked some of the shengshou, mf8s and alpha cubes, but I always ended up falling back to the lubix guhong.
If you browse around, there are a lot more modified cubes (sanded down and lubed) from lubix. I've tried and own the expensive guhong elite and as much as it's a very nice cube, I preferred the guhong v1 in the end.
But yes, chinese cubes are most definitely the way to go if you wish to speedsolve.
>>
>>7686476
False, all solvers are given the same scramble for each attempt.
So for an average of 5 solve, all cubers have some scramble S_1 for the first attempt, S_2 for the second attempt and so on.
>>
>>7684752
moyu is also a great brand
>>
>>7683042
I met this kid at a science convention abuot a year ago, he's actually not that sperggy, he seemed pretty nice.
>>
>>7683042
gay
>>
>>7687082
Seconded.
I've been in UK competitions and the people there are actually really nice.
Surprisingly, one of the best things about these competitions are indeed the people.
The people are very trusting too. Often you get one or two people who bring a lot of cubes that you wouldn't be able to get a hold of normally, and at the end of the day, every single one of them are returned.
If cubes are left behind accidentally, people will message around to try and find the owner.
>>
>>7683073
IQ tests aren't /sci/ related and are only a flimsy way for peoples of mediocre intelligence to feel good about themselves.

You want to prove your intelligence? Go innovate something.
>>
>>7683042
Kool.

Once my solve time hit ~20 seconds, I stopped caring. It required too much effort for me to get sub-20. At that point it was more about just blindly memorizing algorithms which is kind of a bore.
>>
>>7687183
Fridrich I assume?
Memorising all OLL and PLL are useful but it doesn't reduce your time as much as a good F2L.
A handful of people have learnt LL and found it a waste of time since their times didn't drop that much.
Improve on cross and F2L and memo algs alongside them.
>>
>>7687193
>Fridrich I assume?
Yep.

>Memorising all OLL and PLL are useful but it doesn't reduce your time as much as a good F2L.
I've memorized all PLL and some OLL. I know getting the cross and F2L done smoothly is critical. I hit a bit of a wall there because I never hit a point where I was doing it smoothly *and* fast.
>>
>>7687283
PLL is a lot more fun to learn than OLL imo and reduces time more than full OLL does.
Did you try learning to get to a consistent TPS as I explained here:
>>7683180
?
Since you're at 20 seconds, this is where those crucial bad habits start to make a real difference; things like burst but not consistent speed, or those occasional but too frequent cubie pops as a result of inaccurate turning (which is conveniently eliminated by consistent TPS).
But yeah honestly, there's no need to drag yourself through the pain of OLL, tons of fast cubers out there who have been cubing for 3+ years who still don't know full OLL because it's just boring to learn.
>>
>>7687310
>Did you try learning to get to a consistent TPS as I explained here:
Yeah, that's where I lost the patience for it. I understand that a consistent TPS is very important and that burst solving is the worst. I just wasn't able to obtain a smooth TPS because it felt like a step backward before making two steps forward.

Honestly, it has been a few years since I've cubed and more than that since I was speedsolving.

>those occasional but too frequent cubie pops as a result of inaccurate turning (which is conveniently eliminated by consistent TPS)
It also helps not to have a shitty cube. I have a few cubes but my best cube is this one:

http://www.amazon.com/DaYan-ZhanChi-Speed-Black-Puzzle/dp/B005DIBLK2/ref=sr_1_4?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1448760964&sr=1-4&keywords=ZhanChi

It turns and cuts corners like butter. It's a great cube.
>>
>>7687346
>felt like a step backward before making two steps forward
This is often the case when it comes to breaking bad habits unfortunately.
Same goes for those trying to become colour neutral; they can't resist the urge to speedsolve on the white cross rather than be slow with some other cross they're trying to learn.

Agreed on that cube, a very lovely cube and very nice to mod too.
What did you think of the Dayan LingYun and LunHui?
>>
>What are those?!
Stop trying to act black normie you mixed fuck. You're at a Rubix Cube tournament.
>>
>>7687390
>Same goes for those trying to become colour neutral; they can't resist the urge to speedsolve on the white cross
Yeah, I'm guilty of that too except I never bothered going color neutral. It's weird starting anywhere else besides the white face. I'd still think having a smooth F2L is more important though.

>What did you think of the Dayan LingYun and LunHui?
I never tried them. The reason I bothered getting a ZhanChi was because I wanted something better than the regular Rubik's branded cube and the ZhanChi had some damn good reviews.
>>
>>7687507
Colour neutral is always a nice thing to have and even nicer to start early as a cuber.
But yeah definitely, smooth F2L is what will get you sub 15.
If you like the ZhanChi, there's a possibility that you'll like the LingYun. Warning: Very accurate turning required!
As for the LunHui, absolute trash. There's a possibility that modified versions are good, but as vanilla it's awful.
>>
"Oh my God"
>>
The power of autism!
>>
>>7687572
Someone's projecting.
>>
>>7688612
Hey! I may be in the AV club, but at least I'm not in the Rubiks Cube solving club.
>>
>>7688618
>not being in the going home club
>>
>>7688618
What's the AV club?
>>
>>7688680
animal videos club
>>
>>7683042
That kid ain't got shit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJ03AQRqhFg
>>
>>7689788
Into the trash it goes.
>>
A sub 50 speed cuber here. Just know fridridge and some basic 2-look such as anti-sure
>>
>>7689803
>it
Don't talk about yourself that way.
>>
>>7689813
>fridridge
>anti-sure
>>
>>7689813
pop dem cubies while drunk son
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.