[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How the fuk
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: 1448378538836.webm (3 MB, 854x480) Image search: [Google]
1448378538836.webm
3 MB, 854x480
I was watching some aircrafts videos and I'm wondering, how the engines work ?
>>
File: jet_engine_2.png (144 KB, 550x242) Image search: [Google]
jet_engine_2.png
144 KB, 550x242
I mean the air intake engine needs alot of electricity to work, Where the hell jet fighters get electricity from ?
>>
>>7683020
Air intake fan is connected by an axle to the turbine.

After the engine is spun up so that there is enough pressure for combustion, the exhaust gases going through the turbine power the intake fan and provide thrust.
>>
>>7683019
>google
>>
>>7683027
>guy asks a science question
>gets told to fuck off and use google
>>7683019
The air intake powers the exhaust which powers the air intake. It is beautiful.
>>
>>7683025
That just makes no intuitive sense to me. I feel like you'd be losing energy at 2 places like that.

Not saying it's false just that I can't really wrap my head around it.
>>
>>7683426
Most energy is exhaust out of the back, but some turns the turbine to turn the intake fan and provide power to the plane. It's why planes on the ground need ICUs and such to start up, jet engines need external power to reel up the intakes before ignition.
>>
>>7683426
>I feel like you'd be losing energy at 2 places like that.
it's literally the thing that keeps the turbine going
you have to draw some energy from the exhaust and use it on the turbine stage to power the shaft
else your intake and compression stage would be useless because nothing is driving it
>>
>>7683426
>That just makes no intuitive sense to me. I feel like you'd be losing energy at 2 places like that.
How unbelievably unintuitive can a person be? You do realize that any internal combustion engine 'loses energy' at several places due to need of maintenance, to support other moving parts of the engine and to generate electricity. Like for example automotive engine could power the crankshaft, camshaft, alternator, power steering, water pump, air conditioning compressor, air pump and turbocharger.

I dont understand what part of jet engine could be hard to comprehend.
>>
>>7683596
>"how can you not understand dumbass?"
How would you like if someone treated you like that as a kid? Or are you autistic enouh to believe that you came out of the womb knowing everything? This board's culture is so cancerous like why cant you just help the fucking OP like I did without being an arrogant dickhead?
>>
Think of it like this.

There's an explosion in the middle of the engine. This pushes out a lot of force, right? All that force is contained by the engine, only getting out through the exhaust.

While it's going through the exhaust, some of the force spins up the exhaust side turbine.

The exhaust side turbine is attached to the intake turbine.

The intake turbine spins, which pulls in air to the middle of the engine.

The middle of the engine, that just had an explosion happen, suddenly has more air. This causes more explosions. Those push the exhaust turbine faster, which pulls in more air, which makes stronger explosions, and the whole thing repeats.

Pretty much any combustive engine can be described as an explosion doing stuff and pulling in air, to fuel further explosions.
>>
>>7683019
Small explanation of a turbojet engine from start till running independent:
1)External power source starts the engine (ie makes it spinning).
2)The compressor sucks in air because it's spinning (its basically a fan).
3)The compressed air gets to the combustion chambers where fuel gets injected
4)The air+fuel mixture ignites (usually by spark), obviously, energy gets added to the mixture because of this. The spark is only needed during start up, once the mixture is burning, it keeps on burning.
5)The burning mixture pushes against the combustion chamber and leaves towards the turbine. This is where the thrust comes from.
6)Now the turbine extracts energy from the flow to power the compressor fan via a shaft, from this point on, there's no need for an external power source, the engine is started.
7)The flow exits from the back.
>>
>>7683603
>How would you like if someone treated you like that as a kid?
all of 4chan is 18+, so your question is irrelevant
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.