[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I want to fly
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 6
File: butts.png (92 KB, 800x524) Image search: [Google]
butts.png
92 KB, 800x524
I weigh 105lbs and am 6'6". I want to build a suit that will allow me to fly, preferably like a bird or bat.

How big would the wing span need to be for me to be able to glide from a running and jumping start with no wind. How much force would be need to flap said wings in a way that would cause lift if possible. What are the chances of survival from a 25ft fall if you have a load of wood, metal, pvc pipe, fabric, rubber, and duck tape strapped to your back?

>pic related
is something I drew up, i'm a good artist.

The light blue and pink indicate a highly stretched thin rubber skin used for gliding

The lime indicates the body

The person indicates me, but naked

The yellow is also a rubber skin but it only gets the full stretchage when the arms are in the L postition

All joints will obviously lock in place because humans are weak as shit, except of course the hinge joints will only lock upwards allowing for easy ^ flaps and hard v flaps

During flight legs will be tucked under the body because I feel it is probably the best physical position a normal human could be in while keeping as much aerodynamic structure as possible
>>
are you a skeleton?
>>
>>7682133
Lemme guess, you go on /fit/ and call people manlets?
>>
>>7682133
Taking into account your weight I'd say about 2 feet wider. Should be good to go after that. Stream your test if you can for making history.
>>
You are going to need to sprout some serious pecs for flapping power and then account for those muscles in your total weight.
>>
>>7682138
Pretty close
>>
>>7682155
I can lift about 80 pounds with relative ease, and 150 if I give it my all.
>>
OP here, I just realized I forget to take material weight into account. Soo, yeah... That...
>>
>>7682133
>How big would the wing span need to be for me to be able to glide from a running and jumping start with no wind.
Wing area would have to be in the hang glider range at least.
>How much force would be need to flap said wings in a way that would cause lift if possible.
More than the human body could generate.
Birds are very light because they have hollow bones and air spaces that connect to their respiratory system. They also have musculature specifically made for flapping wings.
>What are the chances of survival from a 25ft fall if you have a load of wood, metal, pvc pipe, fabric, rubber, and duck tape strapped to your back?
Not good. If you're lucky you might be able to slow yourself slightly or even redirect some of your motion in a slightly more horizontal direction. You're still going to hit pretty hard.
>>
>>7682173
Perhaps a pulley system inside the body could be used to lower the amount of effort to flap the wings like of those mechanical bows
>pic related
>>
File: 3150515_f260.jpg (179 KB, 605x594) Image search: [Google]
3150515_f260.jpg
179 KB, 605x594
>>7682182
>>
>>7682161
Definitely good enough. DO IT.
>>
>>7682133
For starters, flying is impossible using the strength in your arms alone.
>>
thank mr skeltal
>>
>>7682205
Pfffft... i knew that...

That's why I am going to strap a thing to my arms to assist in flight
>>
Don't believe these assholes OP, you create your machine and jump off the tallest thing you can find so you can pick up some speed and prove all these idiots wrong
>>
>>7682182
>>7682184

This wouldn't help. Compound bows use pulleys for a "let off" at the end of your draw, so when you've pulled the string all the way back the force of the bow pulling on you is reduced. It still takes the full force to get it to that point, though.
>>
>>7682224
If it really comes to it a mechanical piston could maybe work, but those sound heavy and I don't want heavy.
>>
>>7682232
It would come down to you understanding basic mechanics first
>>
>>7682239
That sounds harder than being ignorant to even the most basic laws of physics
>>
6'6'' and 105lbs? How is that even possible?

I know someone who is 6'4 160lbs and he looks very skinny. What the fuck does 6'6'' 105 look like?
>>
>>7682250
If i'm naked, then a skinny person, If i'm clothed then a slightly less skinny person
>>
Usually when I browse /sci/ the threads make me feel intellectually inferior. This isn't one of those threads.
>>
>>7682374
You're welcome
>>
So take your wings right, but instead of strapping them to your arms and using a bow like mechanism, use a seat instead, its more comfy. Then bolt the wings to a frame coming from that. Instead of using a shitty bow mechanism, use an internal combustion engine hooked up to a fan. Then add a smaller wing with flaps on it to the back and a vertical wing at the back as well.
>>
File: notaplane.png (10 KB, 1152x648) Image search: [Google]
notaplane.png
10 KB, 1152x648
>>7682447
pic related
>>
>>7682453
[eqn]
\oint^{Holy}_{Fuck}
[/eqn]

[eqn]
\oint^{Great}_{Idea}
[/eqn]
>>
>>7682453
no, but I will attach an airplane tail to the back for flight stability
>>
>>7682133
Literally what? 105lbs at 6'6"? Are you dying? I know SKELETONS who are 5'7" at 130.

Dude that's dangerous what are you doing with your life? Drink gravy and protein shakes and go to the gym. Holy fuck.
>>
>>7684776
I agree with this dude.

You're not a skeleton at 130 5'7", but you're close (many boxers are this weight and height).

At 6'6", you should be dead.
>>
>>7682475
Fuck holy, idea great
>>
File: Paragliding_Sopelana_Biscay.jpg (1 MB, 2272x1704) Image search: [Google]
Paragliding_Sopelana_Biscay.jpg
1 MB, 2272x1704
>>7682133
>How big would the wing span need to be for me to be able to glide from a running and jumping start with no wind
roughly this big
if there was any better way to do it we'd already be doing it
>>
>>7684776
He must have meant 105 kg. 6'6" 105 lb is beyond auschwitz-mode. I'm sure your fucking bones alone weigh more than that
>>
>>7684828
Then why would he use cm to measure his height instead of feet and inches? Plus he wants to fly so he must be extremely light to be going about these ideas.
>>
>>7682173
What if I try to hollow my bones?
>>
File: ur_welcome.png (50 KB, 1274x604) Image search: [Google]
ur_welcome.png
50 KB, 1274x604
>>7682133
The only way to do it is to become the suit, man.
The picture should be self-explainatory.
>>
File: 1255462874_1.jpg (27 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
1255462874_1.jpg
27 KB, 400x300
>>
>>7685074
haha oh man... This made me laugh for way too long...
10 points
>>
>>7685074
fuk lol, off to post this on fit
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.