[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/csg/ - Computer Science General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 7
File: 325px-Binomial-heap-13.svg.png (15 KB, 325x217) Image search: [Google]
325px-Binomial-heap-13.svg.png
15 KB, 325x217
What is the best data structure and why is it the skip list?
>>
File: CS.gif (2 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
CS.gif
2 MB, 320x240
>>7681906
>>>/g/tfo
>>
>>7681909
Computer science is applied mathematics
>>
>>7681913
So is accounting, now go back to /g/ with your shitty trade. And they'll take your statement way too literally and belittle you for suggesting that there is a single, always-best data structure. Because they're Computer Scientists and thus don't have a functioning brain.
>>
File: 1377123985303.jpg (190 KB, 1000x898) Image search: [Google]
1377123985303.jpg
190 KB, 1000x898
>>7681913
Physics is applied math

CS is applied autism
>>
>>7681920
>because cs is shit at my shitty community college cs as a whole is shit
>>
>>7681921
Actually mathfags are the true autists
>>
>>7681927
>>because women studies is shit at my shitty community college women studies as a whole is shit
>>
>>7681927
This trend is a little bit bigger than one man and one man is not about to change it around. No one takes the study of Computer Science seriously anymore, especially not the teachers and students of Computer Science. Mathematicians are so embarrassed that they have to write their Computer Theory papers in code and then the Computer Scientists are so stupid they can't even recognize that what was written is a new, more efficient codec or something.
>>
>>7681933
>Bio* anything
>not filled with the sluttiest of sluts

yeah, no
>>
>>7681937
Still faulty logic. Look at the MIT or Stanford CS programs for instance.

>>7681939
I'll admit CS has more retards studying it than is preferable.
>>
>>7681906
"Computer science" = "Literary science": it does not mean anything
>>
>>7681927
Ya this. I always wonder how many of the stupid opinions sci has a result of sub-part institutions.

ffs I went to a top 20 school and I've known plenty of people who went to top 5 schools. The CS majors there were sharp af and mostly just majored in CS because it's the best way to get software dev jobs at top companies. ffs plenty of my classmates went to the big four; they were all smart af.
>>
>>7681933
HAHAHAHAHA

Oh art people, stay full of drugs and casual sex.

Also, it's amazing that anything in STEM is on the left half of that graph.
>>
>>7681951

All schools either have a shitty CS program or have a CSE/EECS program that is really CpE with a bit more of a theory emphasis. You can't get to the meat of CS in just the 4 years you have in undergrad.

Btw, Stanford for the longest time didn't even [math]want[/math] to have a undergraduate CS program because they recognized that there isn't enough material fill out a worthy program at the undergrad level but bowed to pressure from "industry" to have one.
>>
>>7681978
Any good student of math is on speed most of the time
>>
Seems like anytime CS is brought it is either praised or shit on with little to no reason as to why its so good or so bad.

Really wish that this board was a little less vague at times.
>>
I heard somewhere that total languages cannot interpret themselves. Is this true?
>>
what is with the CS hate on this board? CS folks have won multiple fields medals and driven mathematical innovation. All of the algorithm optimization problems are pure math.
>>
I am not 100% sure about interpreters, but I know compilers can be written in the same language. This makes sense as a compiler just converts text to text, which any language should be able to do. The PyPy compiler for python is written in python.
>>
>>7683113
jealousy
>>
>>7683113
Most CS programs are very horrible and graduate retards who can't do math above Calc 2 or have an understanding of basic engineering. This is why at top schools they're called EECE/S. You need to be trained as engineer and the code monkey stuff is just a skill that gives you more job opportunities. The real CS stuff is in applied math.
>>
>>7683117
Thanks for answering, but I was specifically asking about total languages (eg a language where any valid term is guaranteed to terminate).

Also any Turing complete language such as Python, should be able to interpret itself.
>>
>all these people assblasted about CS
>mfw my CS degree is getting me ~$105k fresh out of college
>>
>>7681933
This is from an all womens college.
>>
I need help with predicate logic (might also be called first order logic, im not sure, im not a native english speaker).
I don't understand the difference between a function and a predicate.
Let's say you have
human(x) and it evaluates it to true if x is a human, or wrong if x is not a human.
so human(Peter) is true, and human(Dog) is wrong.
Couldn't this be both a function and a predicate? i honestly dont understand the difference.
>>
>>7684058
Where do you live?
>>
>>7684926
If I take that job, I'll be with MS in Redmond
>>
File: trouble.jpg (73 KB, 1072x358) Image search: [Google]
trouble.jpg
73 KB, 1072x358
>>7681906

Need help.

Why doesn't the SetUp funciton take the value of p and q from PickPrimes function?
>>
>>7685435
because you havent passed p and q?
>>
>>7685440
what is passing p and q?

how do I do that?
>>
>>7685451
this is python right?

http://www.tutorialspoint.com/python/python_functions.htm

look up "parameters"
>>
>>7685452
Thanks a bunch!

Yeah it is, I'm a fool to not keep up with the programming side of my discrete math course, now I have this programming assignment worth 20% to complete by tomorrow and I barely know the basics.
>>
>>7681909
do you have the gif without the text in the beginning?
>>
>>7685458
Are you stuck on anything else? I'm sure some anons will help, included me if I come back home and thread's still up
>>
>>7685469

Not for now, but will probably be.
>>
>>7685435
>wang pc
>>
File: Wang_2.jpg (54 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
Wang_2.jpg
54 KB, 800x600
>>7685478
yep in all its glory
>>
File: 1275438247480.gif (2 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1275438247480.gif
2 MB, 320x240
>>7685462
>>
>>7685484
thanks
>>
>>7685452
I still don't understand...
>>
>>7685435
In SetUp change PickPrimes to p, q=PickPrimes()
>>
>>7685510
actually got it 2 seconds after I asked, lel

thanks, programming is hard
>>
>>7684906
Predicates return true/false values (so they can be used with truth-functional connectives) and accept functions (keep in mind that constants, like "peter", are just functions with 0 arguments, so they count too) as arguments.

Functions accept functions as arguments and return functions as arguments (once again including constants in both cases), and obviously can't be used with connectives like or, and, not, etc etc

Since Human(x) returns a truth value, and not another function, then it's a predicate.

Also, as a side-note, it's in bad style for your functions and constants ("Peter", "Dog") to start with an uppercase letter.
>>
>>7685514
This is what happens when you start with high level languages. It's smart features makes you forget computers are retarded and you must speak to them like you do to retards.
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.