[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How much advanced maths before my mind breaks like those famous
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: Nerds.jpg (90 KB, 640x416) Image search: [Google]
Nerds.jpg
90 KB, 640x416
How much advanced maths before my mind breaks like those famous crazy mathematicians?
>>
You can't handle it after triple integrals
>>
>>7681392
Apparently if you spend too much time trying to prove or disprove the continuum hypothesis you go nuts.
>>
Is it too late to say I'm sorry?
>>
>>7681392
I actually found Functional Analysis being much more easier than Linear Algebra. Probably, the fact that I had a shitty professor for that.

Linear Algebra had me crazier.

If you're doing proof based or contemporary styled linear algebra and they ask silly questions, e.g. "Let V be the subspace of W..." I got this question wrong and all I needed to do was to prove that its "closed under addition" and its "scalar multiplication", but went full retard on the exam.

Did something like this

let w=w1+w2+...+wn
v=v1+v2+...+vn
Than I got lossst. I lack common sense, I'm really stupid.

I'll be that pure maths master student that doesn't know what a homomorphism is, what a subspace is, an abelian group, and cannot even do one problem in baby's rudin problem.

Likely, I'm good at memorizing not understanding.
>>
>>7682762
Then you'll most likely be cast out of Pure Math fallen into the degradation of applied math.
>>
>>7681423
Well yea man. Cantor was trying to prove or disprove a statement in a theory that hadn't been fully formalized and it wasn't until after it was formalized that people realized that the statement is unprovable (there exist models of set theory where it is true and models of set theory where it is false).

For an analogy of what that's like, imagine that you've arduously put together a big puzzle only to discover that it has a missing piece. So you search for it. You search everywhere. You scour the damn Earth for it. Every time that you find a puzzle piece somewhere you convince yourself that you've found "the missing piece" and you write all your friends to tell them. It is always only to later on that you discover that the piece you found doesn't quite fit, so you apologize to your friends and continue the search. This process continuous for years. It isn't until many years after your death that someone finds the instruction manual to the puzzle only to figure out that the piece simply never existed.

If you ask me, a person could easily drive themselves crazy by doing that.
>>
>>7684251
This, right here. Right on the button.
>>
>>7684251
Yea I know he was trying solve something unsolvable or at least unsolvable with what we know now.

The solution may exist but we know it must be outside of ZFC set theory.

I just think its interesting because lots of people have tried to solve it not just Cantor, and they all seemed a little nutty or at least the people who really got into it were.
>>
>>7681392
You need to build a solid background in white, black, time and yin-yang magic before you can even hope to approach that level of math. These all require a deep understanding of quantum mechanics, transport phenomena and thermodynamics roughly equivalent to that of a practicing physical chemist.

Some preparatory work on Hilbert spaces and Riemannian manifolds is also advisable
>>
>>7681392
They got like that from their parents and relatives hugging them and especially patting their heads.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.