[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I recently received a letter in the mail detailing that I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: PaulBroca.jpg (11 KB, 180x258) Image search: [Google]
PaulBroca.jpg
11 KB, 180x258
So I recently received a letter in the mail detailing that I have been nominated to participate in an "extremely selective" program for "future scientific leaders". It's asking for 1.5k to travel to Boston and attend a conference for 3 days. Do you guys believe this is legitimate, I am a fairly academically successful student after all (35 on the ACT *cough* *cough*), or is it just a scam? Here's a link to the webpage: http://www.scitechleaders.com/
>>
>>7681200

It's clearly a scam. When you go to the 'in the news' section all the news articles link to the same fake news website.
>>
Sounds like a scam to me. Do a lot of research and don't get your hopes up. They know exactly what people like us want to hear.
>>
we dont give a fuck about your life ask someone who cares
>>
If they were legitimate they would have given you their name and you could have googled that name and found a wikipedia article explain who they were and what they do.

Unless you just got recruited into the Illuminati.
>>
wouldn't they pay for your travel, if it was legitimate?
>>
>>7681228
Oh they did give you a name. Well the front page of google being nothing but their social media profile and unrelated news articles should tell you how serious they are.
>>
Fake conferences, fake pusblishers, fake journals. These are all things you need to watch out for. There's a whole business dedicated to scamming scientists:

http://scholarlyoa.com/individual-journals/
>>
This place didn't exist until last year. Not to imply that this alone automatically discredits them, but their front page makes it sound like they've been doing this for years.
>>
>>7681270
If scientists are so smart, how do they fall for this?
>>
OP here, thanks for all the info guys. I'll ask around my school and see if any professors have any info on it; however, with all of the info provided I'm fairly certain it is just a scam. What a shame.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.