[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is anyone on /sci/ actually able to do theoretical math (e.g.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: GOAT_goat.jpg (149 KB, 598x900) Image search: [Google]
GOAT_goat.jpg
149 KB, 598x900
Is anyone on /sci/ actually able to do theoretical math (e.g. number theory). Or do they just shit on math because they are bad at it?

Find all natural numbers n such that the number [math]2^n−1[/math] is divisible by 7.

Prove that for all natural numbers n the number [math]2^n+1[/math] is not divisible by 7.
>>
>>7681050

Yes these problems are relatively easy. I picked them since you don't have to have too much specialized knowledge or training.
>>
The first one is just all n equivalent to 0 modulo 3. The value of 2^n - 1 modulo 7 is periodic in n with period 3, and the values that occur are 1, 3, and 7 (or 0, if you prefer). It's easy to show inductively that this pattern continues by noting that to get from 2^n - 1 to 2^{n+1} - 1, you multiply by 2 and then add 1.

The second one can be done in essentially the same way, but the values modulo 7 which occur are 3, 5, and 2, so none of those numbers are multiples of 7.
>>
>>7681050
Did the goat die?
>>
2^3 = 1 modulo 7
hence 2^n = 2^(n-3) mod 7
so in both cases it suffices to check the few first cases
we conclude that 7|2^n - 1 iff 3|n
and that 7 never divides 2^n+1, since it doesnt divide any of 2^0+1, 2^1+1, 2^2+1

next problem pls
>>
File: 1444931083848.jpg (20 KB, 306x306) Image search: [Google]
1444931083848.jpg
20 KB, 306x306
>>7681093
>>7681105
>Doing the kid's homework
>>
>>7681050
encore toi...
>>
>>7681105

Find a, b [math]\in {\bf Z}[/math] such that

ab(a+b) is NOT divisible by 7 but [math](a+b)^7 - a^7 - b^7[/math] is divisible by [math]7^6[/math]
>>
>>7681173

oops [math]7^7[/math], not [math]7^6[/math]
>>
Thought about taking a number theory course,but i don't have the prereqs.

The most upper level class I'll be taking is ode's . At my school you need some intro to proofs class.

I ain't bout that life.
>>
Number theory was never my favorite subject. So much of it is not done for the sake of understanding, but just create increasingly-esoteric answers to increasingly-irrelevant questions.

I get that conclusions in number theory often prove to be extremely relevant and necessary for fields and proofs formed centuries later. But, you know, just not my cup of tea.
>>
>>7681050
The second one we can easily prove with strong induction. If 2^n + 1 is not a multiple of 7, and because 8 is not a multiple of 7, we have it that
8*(2^n + 1) = 2^(n+3) + 8 is not a multiple of 7. But if 2^(n+3) + 8 is not a multiple of 7, then 2^(n+3) + 1 cannot be a multiple of 7. So, if we prove that 3, 5 and 9 are not multiples of 7, then we can use strong induction to show that 2^n + 1 is not a multiple of 7 for any positive integer n. The first problem is easy, just take 2^0 - 1, prove it is a multiple of 7, then prove 2^1 - 1 is not a multiple of 7, and prove 2^2 - 1 is not a multiple of 7. With strong induction, you can produce all natural numbers n such that 2^n - 1 is a multiple of 7, and those numbers n are the multiples of 3.
>>
>>7681227
The first statement is true because 7 is a prime number. If 8*(2^n + 1) is divisible by 7, then the face that 7 is prime means that 7 must divide 8 or divide 2^n + 1 (or both). However, according to our inductive hypothesis, and because 8 = 7*(1) + 1, we know that 8*(2^n + 1) is not a multiple of 7.
>>
>>7681227
Nevermind about the strong induction in the last part, just use regular induction three times.
>>
>>7681173

we do some multiplying and we get
[eqn](a+b)^7 - a^7 - b^7 = 7ab(a+b)(a^2 + ab + b^2)^2 [/eqn]
so we need to find a, b such that [math]7^3 | a^2 + ab + b^2 [/math]
this can be transformed into
[eqn] \frac{2a+b}{b}^2 \equiv -3 \pmod{7^3} [/eqn]

so we first solve x^2 = -3 mod 7^3, this is done by first solving mod 7, then mod 7^2, then mod 7^3
i arrived at solution x = +- 37 mod 7^3
plug this back, and a surprisingly small solution is possible: a = 18, b = 1
fast check: 18^2 + 18 + 1 = 343 = 7^3

am i
>able to do theoretical math (e.g. number theory)
already? if not, pls post more
>>
>>7681050

global rule 13
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.