[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is chemistry such a meme degree?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 5
File: 1427147084906.jpg (266 KB, 905x881) Image search: [Google]
1427147084906.jpg
266 KB, 905x881
Why is chemistry such a meme degree?
>>
because of breaking bad
>dude meth lmao
>>
I mean, c'mon. Physics major here.
I need to visit a chemistry course and the people sitting there have problems solving integrals and even normal cubic or even quadratic formula.
They don't know shit.
There is nothing else they know what a physician doesn't know.

>But I know from what material is made of

Fuck off. Why is such a seperate degree even allowed?
>>
>>7680952
>Why is such a SEPARATE degree even allowed?

Because it takes guts to handle some of the compounds you only dare read about. And you don't need to be that smart to be brave, in fact, it's easier to have guts if you're not any sharper than you have to be.
>>
Chemistry is physics for normal people.
>>
Chem major here. Physics and math majors are the biggest autists I know. Enjoy your Shit job prospects
>>
>>7680952
Physician? Thought you were a physicist.
>>
>>7680952
I take Chem I for some credits this semester.
Jesus fucking christ.
Protons are elementary particles, neutrons are 'the glue that holds larger atoms together' and the exercises are about calculating percentages.
Its ridiculous
>>
>>7680994
>thinking Chem I represents the whole field
Why is /sci/ so retarded these days?
>>
>>7680952
so youre a physicist/physician? wow
>>
>>7680942
Do you have any experience beyond intro chem classes? I suggest you sit in on or take some more advanced chem classes before you make this statement. Look into p-chem, organometallic chem, etc
>>
>>7680952
Just because you have a phd doesnt make you a physician.
>>
File: 20151123_210256829_resized.jpg (136 KB, 900x1600) Image search: [Google]
20151123_210256829_resized.jpg
136 KB, 900x1600
>talking to student in my class
>"what are you majoring in?"

>"pure chemistry."
>>
>>7681063
What's wrong with that?
>>
File: baits.jpg (202 KB, 1564x761) Image search: [Google]
baits.jpg
202 KB, 1564x761
>>7680952
>>
>>7680952
Separate*
Physicist*

You're an idiot. And not just because of your spelling.
>>
Physics is more memey desu
>>
File: challengme.png (7 KB, 819x208) Image search: [Google]
challengme.png
7 KB, 819x208
>>7680942
someone's gotta figure this shit out.

Propose a mechanism
>>
Chemistry student, yes it sucks I should have studied chemical engineering

>>7681425
Seems easy lel
>>
I thought engineering was
>>
>>7681425
as a first year chem major, this makes my mouth water. I hope I don't change my mind...
>>
>>7681591
The tricky part is the stereochemistry. It's a pretty clever synthesis.

>>7681608
You should be fine--this is org syn stuff. You may end up liking inorganic or pchem more though.
>>
Bioorganic and Chemical Biology are best chemistries
>>
becomes chemistry is can either be considered two things:
a) solve/obsolete
b) entirely dependent on our modelling of quantum physics

If you read new chemistry publications (if they are interesting) they fall into material science ( including meta materials ) which are mostly the supposition of an idea, its modelling, and a proposed physical possibility. ( ie a new crystal structure that will allow 'x' bandgap at 'y' energies given the model 'y' ), or they are the data for new transition energies which allow us to work backwards and generate the physicality of a reaction ( pseudo-true transition states ). Both of those are essentially entirely dependent on the data we have obtained from x-ray diffraction to understand the physical nature of the bonds and those papers so so fucking boring they will make you want to die ( tiny variations in bonds, contrast and compare 'x' bonds to previously defined 'y' bonds of the same nature ).

I mean what in pure chemistry is interesting? Lathanides? Chain reactions? Either of those could easily be described better as >physics, or >biochemistry ( although not entirely ). Basically chemistry is as close to dead as you could imagine a science.
>>
>>7682141
solved*
>>
>>7682141

>What is Physical Chemistry and why do chemists have to take it
>>
>>7682167
im just saying that chemistry is pretty dead, and there are clear reasons why it isn't a very salable degree anymore

i have two friends doing phys chem experiments ( diffraction data ) and they both don't have chem degrees, and they both don't make more than 20$/hr.

Such is life.
>>
>>7681646
you will never go anywhere near a synthesis that difficult unless you are taking a bullshit professor/attend MIT
>>
>>7680952
You're a medical doctor? Wow.
>>
>>7680994
It's Chem 1 you fucking idiot. Physics 1 isn't much better with balls rolling down hills and shit
>>
>>7682141
>synthetic chemists aren't immensely valuable as a service to both materials scientists and biochemists
>>
>>7681425
1. Ozonolysis cleaves the alkene to form two aldehydes.
2. Aldehyde is attacked by Grignard reagent, followed by an intramolecular Mitsunobu reaction.
No idea where the stereochemistry of the ethinyl group comes from, though.
>>
>>7682141
Chemistry is the science of getting shit done, up to industrial scales. It's really nice of you to develop this new semicounductor, now tell me, who is going to produce kilograms of this material? Right, chemists know how to do that.
>>
>>7682635
That would be chemical engineering.
>>
File: achallenge.png (22 KB, 819x711) Image search: [Google]
achallenge.png
22 KB, 819x711
>>7682524
It's called taking an advanced synthesis class, bozo.

>>7682615
Mostly, yeah. It's felkin-anh model then an inverse of stereochemsitry.
>>
>>7682639
Something doesn't seem right with that reaction pathway
>>
>>7682637
Chemists will develop the reaction that engineers will build a reactor for.
>>
>>7682639
The grignard reagents are added before the PPh3 and DEAD, the addition of the cyano to the carbonyl adds before lactone formation, it even says so in the reaction scheme, the molecules and layout is also poorly drawn
>>
>>7682615
Sterochemistry comes from the conformation analysis of the molecule, the mitsunobo is kinetic (no chance for thermodynamic rearrangement of intermediate) so whichever conformer is most stable will show you which side of the carbonyl will be less hindered for the approach of the ethynyl group, that will be the major product
>>
If you major in pure chem, have fun needing a masters just to get a tech job.
>>
>>7682680
What's the point of studying chemistry if you don't want to make at least a masters? Who does that?
>>
>>7680952
Are you a retard? Chemistry is chemistry not physics. How can you lambast a chemist for not knowing as much maths as you when you don't know shit about group 5 reactions?

Anyway I agree with OP I did chemistry and it was shit. Media memes it out with breaking bad and CSI but the reality is mix white powder with clear liquid, wait 8 hours to get another white powder and/or clear liquid and do a 100 page write up on that.
>>
Chemistry is for Arabs and people who think they are better than biologists but not smart enough for physics.
>>
>>7682695
>mix white powder with clear liquid, wait 8 hours to get another white powder and/or clear liquid and do a 100 page write up

Is this a meme or are you the same anon who posted this the other day?
>>
>>7682549
Yes it is. At least you learn how to solve ODEs and the prof doesnt blatantly lie in your face
>>
>>7682752
If you want to have cool math lessons, why don't you visit a math lecture?
>>
>>7682744
No it's pretty much true, organic compounds usually have piss-boring absorption spectra and everything looks white. Metal complexes often look fucking sick because those d-orbitals split and the gap is usually in the visible range. The only thing that makes organic compounds interesting is if they're bio active.
>>
>>7682744
I am indeed the same anon but as you can see whenever I post it a load of people such as >>7682864 agree with me so maybe it is becoming a meme. It needs to be a meme, too many kids have been lied to
>>
>>7682868
>mfw described white powder turns out to be actually yellow oil :(
>>
>>7682196
statistics say differently. what crack r u smoking
>>
>>7682742
So what would you call an Arab Professor of Physics?
>>
>>7682919
Ahmed.
>>
You mean psychology, it's not even a real science.

My colleagues and I kek hard after interacting with criminal psychologists.
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.