[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
CS majors, how much math did you actually do? How much of it
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3
File: BinomialTree.png (34 KB, 633x623) Image search: [Google]
BinomialTree.png
34 KB, 633x623
CS majors, how much math did you actually do? How much of it was mandatory?

I feel CS has way too little math these days. Freshmen complain and don't see the use of it, and in more advanced classes later years they are completely confused because they never bothered to put any effort into it.
>>
At least at my school, we do a good amount of maths. Classes involve proving things mathematically and then programming up the solutions.

The /sci/ hate for CS is weird. Either they go to a trashy college where CS is bad ( and their own major is bad too ) or they haven't looked into the CS degree enough to actually say anything about it.

Inb4 muh CS hate.
>>
Computer science and mathematics double major.

I've taken quite a lot of math. Probability theory, statistical inference, discreet, complex variables, foundations of math, linear algebra 1 and 2, calc 1,2,3, and an analysis calculus course. I guess numerical methods could be considered as math although really computer driven.

I'm still waiting to take abstract algebra, diff eq, number theory, differential geometry, and I want to take a course relating to forecasting and prediction methods using math and computers.

If you're wondering, I'm planing on being an actuary.
>>
>>7680909
I'm leaving out a few.
>>
Every CS major should know
>calc I-III (real analysis is preferable)
>diff eqs? probably not necessary (really depending on what you want to do), but familiarity and numerical solution methods would be nice
>linear algebra (matrix algebra, elimination, LU decomposition, basics about vector spaces, Euclidian vector spaces, linear transforms)
>elementary group theory and some applications like coding theory
>number theory and some applications like RSA
>some numerical analysis
>graph theory
>combinatorics up to at least generating functions and recurrences
>probability and stats (including traditional frequentist inference and some Bayesianism; more is better but not necessary for every CS major)
>some basic knowledge about stochastic processes like markov chains
>babby's first set theory
>some intro to logic
>some partial orders, lattice theory
>formal languages, automatas
>it is implied that at this point they have a solid ability to do proofs

Not that much actually, but they are CS majors, not math majors (they have to fit the CS somewhere too, like algorithms, data structures, operating systems, compiler theory, programming paradigms, project courses, computer organization and design, software engineering (patterns etc.), networks etc.).

The math also depends on what you specialize in, for instance, Fourier analysis and complex analysis is good for DSP (I haven't done this shit yet). If you want to do AI you need a lot more stats.

Anything I missed?

source: current CS/math double major
>>
>>7680857

How much was mandatory? Not enough IMO.

Required:

Calc I, II, III
Discrete I, II
Stats (not really math though)
Linear algbera

Stuff I also did as electives:
Abstract algebra and 3 extra graph theory/combinatorics classes

>>7680927

Bear in mind some math is covered in CS courses as well. For example basic group theory + number theory was covered in a couple CS courses, and automata/numerical analysis are covered in required CS courses

Stuff you listed that was not covered in the CS and required math coures I took were: coding theory, lattice theory

although we did cover them a little bit in some of the math electives I took, but obviously those are just electives. And no real analysis, just calc I-III is required.

What math a computer scientist needs does heavily also depend on what field they get into as well, so all the retards on /sci/ saying hurrr take algebraic topology, real analysis, etc, etc are just spouting nonsense.
>>
File: pBzf5fb.jpg (209 KB, 620x413) Image search: [Google]
pBzf5fb.jpg
209 KB, 620x413
>>7680857
I'm minoring in math, and my CS major requires that I do 5 of the 7 math course that are in the minor, so I decided to minor anyway.

There's also one or two math classes that only count for CS. Like Discrete Structures. Don't know why its not considered a math class when 3/4 of the class doesn't even deal with programming/algorithms.

I actually really would have liked to major in mathematics, but I think that CS is a better undergrad degree for me. I really wanted to take more math classes, but I don't think I can graduate on time unless I take half math and half CS courses.

If I can, before I graduate, I really want to take Geometry because I've personally have always been weak in that area because I taught myself most of the info.

Also, surprisingly every since starting college I've excelled at my math classes, not saying much as I'm just getting into higher math classes now, and have struggled with getting As in CS; up until this semester, things seem to be falling into place.

>tl;dr : I like math, and am minoring in it along with my CS degree.
>>
>>7680927

lol

literally no.
>>
Linear algebra
Analysis
Discrete structures

That's all math I had to do, I learned some things but it could/should be more, also it was way too easy
>>
I literally took nath courses with my CS major and Im making $120,000 at intel
>>
>>7682622
*no math
>>
>>7682617
No Calc?
>>
>>7682623
How? Not any. Not even Algebra?
>>
you will notice that nearly all basic functions of programming represent the basic formulas in math. they just have other names for it.

fe.: every sigma calculation can be represented and understood as a recursive function.

i hope im right haha
>>
>>7680862
>everyone who disagrees with me is stupid!

Clearly that must be the case
>>
Here is my schools
>>
>>7682612
elaborate
>>
>>7682625
I guess that's what analysis is. Europeans learn calculus (non-rigorously) in HS.
>>
My schools is listed here. R8

http://catalogue.uci.edu/donaldbrenschoolofinformationandcomputersciences/departmentofcomputerscience/#majorstext

Not majoring in it myself, but in general we have a lot of CS majors who seemt to think they're the master race around here.
>>
We had to take calculus 1, an introduction liner algebra course, two discrete math for computer science courses, and an intro stat course. personally I also took calc 2 and 3, a second linear algebra course, and intro ODE course
>>
>>7680927
>formal languages, automatas

I hope you don't think formal languages are just automata. While the regular languages are useful, they only come up in special cases of problem solving (besides regex shit). However, the rest of formal languages is also very useful. For example, if you want to do programming language design and implementation (compilers too) then you need to know a lot about context free grammars (there are many different sets of context free grammars that can each be parsed at different complexity classes using many different techniques). There's also a lot about turing machines that's just plain important to know (understanding that a problem is undecidable can save a lot of time).

I would throw out useless stuff like diff eqs, numerical analysis, and number theory (it's only useful in specific applications, unlike linear algebra which is often useful everywhere). Real Analysis would be retarded to do as a comp sci student since floating point arithmetic is fucked and nothing like a mathematician's well behaved real numbers. If anything a comp sci student cares much more about calculus applications than about foundations. Especially I would throw out number theory since crypto is pretty much its own subfield in mathematics (you don't have to know the number theory behind RSA in order to understand how public key encryption works) Probability, stats, and stochastic processes, are really only useful in specific applications as well, like artificial intelligence. So, while I agree that they're useful to know I don't believe they're useful to know at the level that a stats/math major knows. Generating functions and recurrences have also not been useful for me in comp sci.

I would add in recursive function theory and more computability theory, complexity theory, type theory, lambda calculus, and category theory (from a comp sci perspective, not from an algebra perspective).
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.