[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is the core of the Earth only 10,000 degrees? That doesn't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4
File: ooh so hot.png (159 KB, 636x358) Image search: [Google]
ooh so hot.png
159 KB, 636x358
Why is the core of the Earth only 10,000 degrees?

That doesn't even seem that hot.

That's like 5 times hotter than a pottery kiln.
>>
>>7680253
Why should it be any hotter? Nobody's using it to bake shit.
>>
>>7680254
The earth is so big, the best it can do is 10k?

They say the core warms the earth, but that shit doesn't warm anything. It still freezes up here on the crust at night and in the winter.
>>
>>7680253
>Making your mother feel bad
>Bluntly saying she doesn't seem that hot
>Gave birth to you and everything you see around you
>Lets you comprise part of her grand system despite you being one of many creatures tearing up her surface mindlessly
Poor Earth.
>>
File: all_smiles.jpg (8 KB, 188x268) Image search: [Google]
all_smiles.jpg
8 KB, 188x268
>>7680253
>That doesn't even seem that hot.
>>
>>7680260
Core of the sun is 27 million degrees bro, step up.
>>
>>7680253
You do realize that tungsten ,having the hightest boiling point, boils at 5,660 deg. 10,000 is an absolutely huge temperature.

>>7680262
:^)
>>
>>7680262
Your body isn't really going to give a fuck when it's even 140 degrees and you die of hyperthermia. Do you think it's going to even be able to comprehend 10,000 or even 1,000 for the sake of this thought? The point is that 10,000 degrees is fucking hot and you'd be toast.
>>
>>7680257
The Earth is a small pebble in an endless black tide of stars with unimaginable temperatures. We should be lucky that it isn't any hotter considering how far it's come.
>>
>>7680257
Some scientific studies suggest that 1/3 of the temperature at the earth's surface is due to the geological heat escaping from the earth itself.
>>
>>7680268
Actually google says here it boils at 5,555 degrees celsius. Hey, doesn't that theoretically mean we can drill ourselves to the core?
>>
Is there a theoretical upper limit to temperature ranges? Like is there a point at which it simply cannot get any hotter?
>>
>>7680277
I googled it once

The plank temperature or something

Beyond that physics stop
>>
>>7680281
Is that the kind of shit that happens at the center of gas giants like Jupiter?
>>
>>7680283
It actually never happens, cus nothing gets that hot.
>>
its hot enough that its impossible for the core to be made of iron and have permanent magnetism, way past curie temp.
>>
>>7680283
Nah that's metallic hydrogen. At the plank temperature nobody knows what it would be but it definitely wouldn't be hydrogen anymore.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/physics/absolute-hot.html
>>
>>7680293
But we can easily make something that's 10,001 degrees here on earth.

So it can't be too hot to handle.
>>
>>7680281
I disagree with that. I think logically speaking if something can be measured finitely than there is no end point to how low or how high something can get. Just like how we keep observing only larger and larger things in the known universe: It's funny how scientists are perplexed on this subject matter. A blackhole was recently discovered that was at least 30 times larger than a bunch of astrophysicists expected it to be and yet there are still things much MUCH bigger than that.
>>
>>7680300
The highest theorised temperature is during the rapid expansion of the universe. Less than a second old. At these temperatures it has less to do with particle kinetic energy but rather the size of the universe and the comparison of energy over distance.

After all what is temperature? When does it stop becoming meaningful? Eventually at certain temperatures, particles cannot hold them selves together, and hotter than this, quarks and gluons cannot even bind together.
How can you even put more energy into a system like that? You could only remove heat because anything trying to deliver energy to the hottest thing could only have less energy than the system in question. So really the answer is the temperature that is the highest attainable before all the energy in the universe is required to add more energy
>>
>>7680320
Interesting, you just gave me an idea of creating the hottest possible thing in the known universe. (Theoretically)
If we combined all the initial energy contained in a (finite) universe and compressed it down to a singular sphere we would probably get something One million million million million million million, (You get the idea), times hotter than a neutron star. I theorize that it would have enough energy to actually STOP the conversion of energy into mass. It'd have enough energy and enough heat to outweigh the four fundamental forces of nature.... I don't know if this is just a bullshit concept or not.. But it could work like a.. Like an opposite black hole with the dominant force being energy instead of gravity. Either that or I'm just rabling on because it's half past Nope o' clock in the night.
>>
>>7680340
Underage bait
>>
>>7680346
Yeah, No.
>>
>>7680275
boil, not melt you dipshit.
>>
You might not think that's very high temperature, but it is an insane amount of heat. The Earth is big and its internal temperature is pretty even since it's not like it's generating new heat. Only the surface is cool because heat is escaping into the atmosphere (and into space).
>>
File: bob.jpg (170 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
bob.jpg
170 KB, 1024x768
>>7680494
So was the earth a lot hotter in the past?

How hot?
>>
>>7680517
Yeah the Earth's been cooling for a long time (ever since its cleared out most of its local neighborhood) and even though it gets SOME heat back from space debris colliding with it, it's a pretty insignificant amount.

How hot is a subject to some debate, but a Wikipedia says scientists believe Earth is cooling at a rate of about 100 degrees Celsius per billion years. Which is not fast at all. So it was not much hotter back then.
>>
File: 1447311977607.png (2 KB, 880x560) Image search: [Google]
1447311977607.png
2 KB, 880x560
>>7680340
>>
>>7680537
100 degrees Celsius per billion years.

I'm really dissapointed right now.
>>
>>7680561
>>7680561
You should be happy. The longer the core stays hot, the longer life can survive on this little rock.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.