[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do people only care about how much money is to be made when
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: 1446856225214.jpg (86 KB, 480x716) Image search: [Google]
1446856225214.jpg
86 KB, 480x716
Why do people only care about how much money is to be made when deciding a STEM major? No, seriously. I hear people all the time asking whether to pick one or another, with one being something they actually enjoy and the other paying more.

Shouldn't it be obvious? So long as you're not a complete financial dunce it shouldn't matter if another field pays more than the one you're good at and like. You're going to make enough money to take care of yourself and a hypothetical family regardless. Furthermore, you'll be too busy doing cool shit that's fulfilling and useful to be worrying about how to blow your money anyway.

Even poorfag artists have these keks beat.
Source: Artist that's going for Electrical Engineering
>>
>>7679863
Internet e-cock contest etc.
>>
Yes, I'm waving my e-cock when I haven't even started school yet. I just decided this last week. I'm just annoyed when people are more interested in money than doing something useful and enjoyable to them.
>>
>>7679863
they probably don't exactly have the right mindset to be thinking about money when they pick out their stem major. most likely immature kids that just want money and see nice cars and big houses

now after they get their degree, then they realize that there's bills and rent to pay, money to save up for a down payment, IRA and such.
>>
>>7679863
It ensures that your choice of major is not strictly dominated by some other potential choice. It doesn't mean you put money over everything elese, it only means you admit your unfamiliarity with the majors. I met lots of people at uni who thought maths is calculating.
>>
>>7679863
>Be a sheltered white suburban kid in his mum's mansion
>"Why do people need money??? I don't understand?? Jobs are for fun right???"
>>
File: i_am_illuminated.png (276 KB, 324x314) Image search: [Google]
i_am_illuminated.png
276 KB, 324x314
It's really not about the money once you're making ~$75,000+

I want to challenge myself and do the best that I can in this one life that I have. I think that STEM is mentally a very healthy thing to go into.

Doing this for the money isn't the best idea. If you're smart, you can just go into business and make more than any STEM major. Your mileage may vary, though. I don't think that I'd be able to do that and feel like I matter or have a positive impact on the world.
>>
>>7680178
You have a brain, so use it to its fullest extent to do something that impacts the world positively. That's STEM in my mind. I definitely do not think about money when I think STEM. STEM attracts smart people, and I don't know how smart I am, but I want to at least be around the other smart people and do something that will really make me think. That is a very good thing. Money isn't a big deal as long as you know how to manage it. There will always be someone with more so you'll never be the winner. Focus on something else that is more important.
>>
>>7679863
Well, I really like money. The idea of spending years pursuing a career and working hard and not earning a good salary is just not appealing enough, even if it means studying something that I love.
>>
>>7679863
A lot of us are people who have been shunned for a long time and end up living to live and not to feel.

>fulfilling
It must be nice to be you.
>>
>>7679863
Most people have accepted that all work is dreadful. From our first jobs until after college were basically taught that you starve your social life and have your rights stripped away to wake up each morning and go to work tired and hungry to be bossed around and told what to do and how to do it.

That and there are plenty of reasons why people want money. I could be happy with no less than a Subaru STi from the same year. I could deal(read: not commit suicide) if I had to buy a Honda accord or something but that isn't financial success IMO. A visually amazing house and car are big goals in my life. Being materialistic isn't a bad trait in my mind although being greedy is.

My goal is to have an Audi RS7 and an amazing house. And then start helping to better educate the next generation.

That being said. How excited and or profitable is mechanical engineering? I would ideally like to work on designing better car engines (vroom vroom). But I would get into any field that makes the most money or has better job security.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.