[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ti-nspire cas
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 9
File: 614qmEU9nTL._SL1000_.jpg (90 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
614qmEU9nTL._SL1000_.jpg
90 KB, 1000x1000
what can you tell me about this little guy here?

im studying mechanical engineering, is this thing of any use for me? for like technical mechanics? technical thermo dynamics?
>>
File: fx 115es plus.jpg (256 KB, 1890x1540) Image search: [Google]
fx 115es plus.jpg
256 KB, 1890x1540
>>7679100
>is this thing of any use for me

No, just get a $12 scientific calculator
>>
>>7679299
The best scientific calculator out there.
>>
>>7679100
I have the cx cas.
A sexy devil indeed.
But then again I got it for free so there's that.
>>
>>7679100
I'm a civil engineering student and I only use a scientific calculator. I rarely have to graph anything and plus I don't really see the point in shelling out $130 on something that an app on my phone can do for free. In the case that I ever need to graph something, I just use desmos on my laptop or calculator++ from the Google play store.
>>
>>7679299
Indeed
>>
File: 658138886146847.jpg (43 KB, 471x371) Image search: [Google]
658138886146847.jpg
43 KB, 471x371
>>7679100
>im studying mechanical engineering, is this thing of any use for me?
No... I'll just save my fucking time and copypasta my opinion on calculators.

"I use a Casio fx83GT PLUS and a TI-Nspire CX CAS. I wish I never bought the later, by the time it would take for me to learn how to use it, or program on it, I could've just fucking learned maths. Aside from that, it's simply a fact that computers make programmable calculators redundant, you're honestly better off putting some good aps on your phone or learning how to use Wolfram Alpha than you are buying a TI-Nspire, aside from the time and money saved, Wolfram is probably better than the Nspire anyway, for example, I don't know anyway to tell the Nspire to give me equivalent forms of shit, but if I just type something like x^3+9x+5, Wolfram will probably give me 6 different forms of it. Heck, to make matters worse, calculators seem to lie more, and more harshly than computers (go read a basic calculus textbook, it'll give you the warnings)

Maybe I'll change my opinion on that once I'm in the latter years of my (maths) degree course and have found more use in the downloadable shit for the calculator, but otherwise I'm better served by just my head and my Casio fx83GT PLUS.

That being said however, if I was to recommend a calculator for someone who's not restricted by exams or money, I'd probably recommend a different Casio, but I don't know which, stuff like the Prism probably has the same issues as the Nspire, so I'd probably just recommend the best non-programmable ones, I mean those blue things that do graphing and shit, pic related. When I was trying to pick what calculator to buy, I was stuck between pic related, the Prism, the Nspire and the FX-9860GII. (You have no idea how much time that sentence will save you if you're looking to buy the best calculator)

cont...
>>
>>7681403
So... for anyone wanting my opinion on calculators:
The Casio FX-991ESPLUS Scientific Calculator is basically the best possible Casio fx83GT PLUS.
If memory serves, the Casio FX-9860GII Graphics Calculator SD is basically a step up from the FX-991 but a step down from the Prism, so I don't see why you'd ever buy it but I suppose it does look more familiar than the Prism.
The Casio FX-CG20, Prism, or whatever the fuck you want to call it is Casio's best, but whenever I looked into things, to me it seemed inferior to the Nspire, so I bought an Nspire, which brings me back to the original post (btw, there's no point in debating which TI is best, the only real downside of the Nspire is that it's not as hackable as the older models, but for that you can just stick to an older version of the software, which can be hacked).

So to summarise:
If you're restricted by exams, get the best calculator you're allowed.
If you're not restricted by exams go for the Casio FX-991ESPLUS Scientific Calculator and just use Wolfram or your favourite computer algebra system (e.g. Maple) for anything it doesn't do.
If you're not restricted by exams and feel like you need to own a programmable calculator, then be an idiot like me and get the Nspire (but I don't know why you would... but if you do then make sure to hack Final Fantasy onto it for some extra fun)

There's also the HP Prime, but I don't see why you'd buy it when the Nspire and Prism exist."
>>
>>7679100
HP 50g > all
>>
Is there an app to replace a dedicated sci calculator?
>>
>>7681860
https://kat.cr/mathworks-matlab-r2015a-64-bit-firstuploads-t10359507.html
https://kat.cr/maplesoft-maple-2015-64bit-crack-t10497789.html
http://winpython.github.io/
>>
File: image.jpg (171 KB, 767x1500) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
171 KB, 767x1500
TI-36X Pro will forever be my engineering calculator.

Agreed with everyone above - don't need to spend $100+ on a graphing calculator.
>>
>>7681403
>>7681405
Nice. Thanks for posting, you literally just stopped me from buying the sexy expensive calculator when I should have known better in the first place.

How's your degree going? What year are you in?
>>
>>7681762
It's a really great calculator except the programming isn't that user friendly imo
>>
GET A TI 89 YOU PLEBS

SIMPLE AF (AS FUCK) USERFACE
CAS SYSTEM
CAN'T GO WRONG WITH IT
>>
File: 1427595113737.jpg (121 KB, 533x800) Image search: [Google]
1427595113737.jpg
121 KB, 533x800
>>7679100
hi op
I use a ti-nspire.

pros:
-it will do a lot and has a shortcut for almost everything you can think of
-decent graphs, good res
cons:
-shitty ti operating system takes 10 hours to do anything
-the mousepad thing takes three full swipes to get across the screen and it is just super gay
-no programming, this is why they will let you use it on a lot of standardized tests cuz people cannot make scripts to cheat with like the ti-84
-there is no good viewing window and it is super annoying to use the navigation

unless you have to graph something I would recommend you get a calculator that will not be aggravating to use like the higher model sharp calculators(I own the highest end one they make, the El-w516X and I never regretted it for a second), they will not graph for you but they will do pretty much anything the ti-nspire will do except you won't feel like ripping your hair out after a day with it
the higher you go in the sharp models the more functions and modes become available. for example their top model, mine has something like 517 functions and they are all available through the 2nd and alpha functions. since you are going into engineering you may appreciate its 15 pages of constants, each with a number code so if you remember its number you don't need to look for it every time you need it. its convenience like this in the sharp operating system that in my opinion makes it a superior calculator in terms of variety and excellent organization of functions.
another thing I like about the sharp calculators is that you can write equations into them so that they look exactly like the way you write them with a pen so that removes one more potential fuck up that I run into with other calculators
anyway im gonna stop ducking sharp EL-W516X dick and just say
you can pay 40$ for the sharp top model and it will do almost everything the 200$ ti model will do except for graph but it presents everything to you in a very quick and comfortable manor
>>
>>7681875
>>
File: 1404920377569.png (6 KB, 390x470) Image search: [Google]
1404920377569.png
6 KB, 390x470
>it's cheaper to by an older model smartphone with a graphing app than it is to buy a graphing calculator

How it TI still in business?
>>
File: 1448507810516.png (6 KB, 390x470) Image search: [Google]
1448507810516.png
6 KB, 390x470
>>7682270
I could not help but notice your png was not optimized anon.
I have optimized your png.
Your png is now optimized.
>>
>no one has mentioned the HP 35S

what the fuck is wrong with you people?
>>
>>7681892
>Nice. Thanks for posting, you literally just stopped me from buying the sexy expensive calculator when I should have known better in the first place.
Good to hear it.

>How's your degree going? What year are you in?
First year maths, I'll have a Masters in 4 years. It's going well but due to careers paranoia (oddly leading to more time on 4Chan), I've been occasionally falling behind.
>>
>>7682118
The mousepad thing has acceleration. Faster you swipe the further the mouse moves.
>>
>>7682293
How many bytes did you shave off?
>>
>>7682931
>>
>>7682933
Nice, well done.
>>
>>7681987
This.
Have an TI89 Titanium
Bought an NSpire, because its a lot faster and has more memory...tried to use it...sent it back.

This thing is a toy. I dont know if you can code in asm on it, it would be too difficult anyway because a lot of functions are just built in in tibasic and you have a lot more of those functions with the ti89.

For just some plots or numerical integrals i think both are fine...but coding sucks with the nspire (and why would you want this thing if you dont code...)
>>
>>7682785
Good luck with it man, if you fall behind, just start clocking up hours with 4chan open beside you and the textbook in front. These things are only a matter of putting in the hours. Once I realized that I frequently had the top grades in my modules.

Second year here.

Spent the whole first year programming, studying algorithms and databases to get a place in a Google internship to ensure I can leave an abusive house a soon as possible, so my grades were not great, but they were okay nevertheless.

I'm a shut-in that only comes in Mondays and Tuesdays to ask the people in my degree what was done the previous week, I spend the rest of my time studying maths, programming and reading. Taking days off to study is another thing I'd recommend if you feel you're falling behind, depends on how intensive the day is though.

Good luck with finding work in the future. The academic route is always there if you feel up to it. Depending on where you live, maths graduates can have quite a lot of options available to them. Start learning a little programming if you feel a need to make yourself more employable.
>>
Nspire cas here. I really dislike this fucking calculator. I avoid using it like the plague. Anything complex just gets done on a computer, anything simple is just quicker to do with a Casio calculator.

I used to use a ti89, I'd get that over the nspire if I was making the purchase again. Basically has all of the same functionality, without the brain dead interface.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.