[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
QTDDTOT: Questions that don't deserve their own thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 189
Thread images: 27
File: xb6i0XA.jpg (397 KB, 1024x1727) Image search: [Google]
xb6i0XA.jpg
397 KB, 1024x1727
Is the norm squared of any function an even function? Is any function squared an even function?

(any function = complex ones, too)
>>
>>7678910
Norms are defined so that (norm af) = (modulus a)(norm f) where a is any scalar.
So norm -f is the same as norm f.
So (norm f)^2=(norm -f)^2, so norms squared are even functions.

The square of any function is not necessarily even, since (e^x)^2 is e^(2x) which is not even.
>>
>>7678910
I'm pretty sure I don't want to know the answer to this, but is that book real? Why?
>>
>>7678955
Its real as in it exists, it was made by a dude on /pol/ who printed a few 20 or so copies and sold them (and pretended it was written by Ben "Glock in every negro cock" Garrison)

>>7678910
No, the square of any function is not an even function, however, if a function f(x) contains only even powers of x (e.g. x^2, x^4) it is an even function, and thus symmetrical around the axis representing f(x)
>>
if i threw a hairdryer into a swimming pool, how dangerous would that be for people inside?
>>
>>7678980
Do you have the pdf?
>>
>>7679025
It would be harmless because almost house has a circuit breaker.
>>
File: q1.png (48 KB, 931x439) Image search: [Google]
q1.png
48 KB, 931x439
Alright guys, can you help me out with this one. The way the book solved it something I have not seen yet (Dirac's delta function) but why can't we just use Gauss's law for Electric fields?
>>
File: A1.png (42 KB, 510x529) Image search: [Google]
A1.png
42 KB, 510x529
>>7679121
Answer as in the book, why do they do this?
>>
This wikipedia page (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Specker_sequence) mentions the "computation of {n}(n)" in the caption for the image, and I don't know what that denotes. I'm assuming {n} denotes some kind of partial function, and its result on n is being computed. But then I still don't know what function {n} is supposed to be.
>>
>>7680185
{n} typically represents the fractional part of n but I don't know if that's what it means here.

(by fractional i mean n=floor(n)+{n}) where floor(n) is the closest integer below or equal to n, i.e. if n=1.5 then floor(1.5)=1 and {1.5}=.5)
>>
>>7680194
I don't think it means that here, you wouldn't be able to apply it to (n)
>>
>>7679121
>>7679127
In a) part, used Maxwell's equation is just a differential form of the Gauss' law. You need the integral form of it to solve b)

We need the delta function in point charges.
>>
undergrad differential equations class, laplace transform problem

x"(t) + x(t) = sin(t);
x(0)=0; x'(0)=0

so far I have
X(s) = 1/(s^2+1)^2

can i multiply the right hand side by (2/2) and inverse laplace it into 1/2[sin(at)-atcos(at)] with a=1?
>>
CSfag here thinking of switching to Math and I need to brush up on my Maths (getting Bs and I need As). The math textbook for my Calc course is Stewart's Calculus 7th ed and his teaching style is very sparse but the problems are good. Whats a good textbook for calculus /sci/?
>>
I don't understand, someone explain:

limit as n approaches infinity: an(−1)ndivergent.

Proof:
Assume that an−>a
per definition there is an epsilon defined as one a N in the atural numbers:
|an−a|1∀n≥N.

This much I understood somewhat, but then:

this∀n≥N goes withthe trianlge inequality:

2=|an+1−an|=|(an+1−a)+(a−an)| | 2, where does it come from? -a+a=0, okay, s far I understood, but why is it used? For what purpose?
≤|an+1−a|+|an−a|
<1+1=2
>>
Reposting my question from last thread.
I can prove that if d is a multiple of said vector then it is an extreme direction, but I don't know how to prove the converse.
>>
File: ss+(2015-11-25+at+04.00.53).png (198 KB, 1078x1087) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2015-11-25+at+04.00.53).png
198 KB, 1078x1087
I know it seems like a lot to read, but most of it's definitions since we've never been introduced to most of this before. For 1), I've shown that 0 < h < 1/λ for it to be A-stable by solving the difference equation obtained when applying Euler's method as Yn = A(1-hλ)^n. A > 0, so Yn -> 0 if h < 1/λ.

So, is this method completely wrong or fine? Honestly have no clue.

>>7680480
>an(−1)ndivergent
I've been doing basic analysis like that recently and could probably help if you could clarify what that meant.
>>
>>7678910
They know. We must stop them before it is too late. We must stop this. THE SANCTITY OF TOPKEK MUST BE PRESERVERED
>>
How do you prove an equation is injective? Derivate it 2 times and then see if there's any points where f''(x)=0?
>>
>>7681128
Well if you can prove that the function is strictly monotonous (for example if it is differentiable and if the derivative doesn't change sign), then the function is injective
>>
>>7681128
Assuming that both derivatives exist at all points, that would probably be the easiest way.
>>
What's wrong here?
>>
>>7681261
3-x<0
>>
>>7681269
How does that change things?
>>
>>7681261
The square root of x^2 is |x|, otherwise it's correct.
>>
>>7681280
well you're taking the square root out of it
>>
In a non associative operation, can an element have more than one opposite or inverse element?
>>
>>7681295
But if a=(3-x)^2 > 0, why can't you square a?
>>
>>7681331
You mean square root?
You can, but you have to consider the possibility that sqrt{a} is negative.
>>
File: flat_800x800_070_f.jpg (94 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
flat_800x800_070_f.jpg
94 KB, 600x800
Not exactly a /sci/ question, but school related.

Has anyone been stuck with a shitty work group, a group that's lazy/fucking up all the time? I'm livid that my grade is dependent on other people, and I'd like to know if there's any way that I can save my grade. Thanks for any info/help.
>>
Does the sign of a 3x3 determinant change when you switch the first row with the second column?

My guess would be no, since such a determinant can't physically exist.
>>
>>7681379
Create a small example for yourself and see that the determinants that you get are completely unrelated with each other.
>>
>>7681376
If you were good enough you could carry them, what subject is it?
Also you could speak to your teacher and asked to be marked separately from your group if you can prove they're shit enough
>>
Do mirror images feel observed?
>>
>>7681261
Realise that in the third last line, you may also write:
(3 - x)^2 = (x - pi)^2, since (pi - x)^2 = (x - pi)^2.
If we do as what you've done and just square root both sides, then we get:
3 - x = x - pi
3 + pi = 2x
x = (pi + 3)/2, which was what we started with.
It's clear to see that the problem was with introducing squares, since this often gives rise to an additional root.
>>
>>7681444
Research methodology for the behavioral sciences.

Our group is run by a democracy, and 2 people are the best of friends in my group. Since they're friends, it's really fucking up the group dynamic. I've talked to my prof. and all he had me do was voice my opinion to the group (I got shut the fuck down). These two girls feed off of each other, and always agree with what the other says. I'm gonna see about getting marked separately, didn't think of that. Thanks anon.
>>
Is the resultant electromagnetic field from two separate particles simply the vectorial sum of their individual fields?
>>
>>7681962
Also, if I'm asked to find the electric field's [math]intensity[/math] am I to assume they only care about the resultant's vector magnitude?
>>
I'm being asked if there is a linear transformation R^5--->R^5 with p(T) = v(T)

I had no idea what p(T) and v(T) are, but now I'm almost certain that p(T) is the characteristic polynomial. Does this make any sense? Also, what's v(T)? I don't seem to find it anywhere.
>>
Ages ago I posted this question or Quora:
>How do probability waves interact with each other?
Recently, I got the following response, but I don't know the jargon.
The limits of my knowledge of quantum physics is that I have a decent grasp of the workings and implications of Everett Interpretation, but I only have a tiny bit of by now rusty understanding of how quantum mechanical calculations work.
Given that, anyone able to translate it?

>Akshat Mahajan, Was Quoran of the Week once
>They don't.

>While a great deal of quantum mechanics can be explained through the probability picture, scattering theory - the theory of how two particles scatter off of each other - cannot be explained in terms of probabilities. Instead, the square of the wave function is equated to the scattering cross-section of the other particle, and this can be classically interpreted as how wide the bounce angle back can be.

>Thus, the question as posed doesn't make sense.
>>
>>7682110
Assuming v(T) is the minimal polynomial, then the transformation given by the matrix M=diag(1,2,3,4,5) works.
>>
I've got loads of free time since I've just finished high school, and I've been curious about whether it's possible to breed plants to exist in high temperature, low light conditions through a process of selection that favours whichever specimen can utilize the lowest frequency light for photosynthesis.
The following is what I plan to do, but I have absolutely no experience with any of the following, so it begs review:

What I'm thinking of is having a box with some damp soil at the bottom, and some lights on top; and at one end of the box, the emissions would be similar to daylight, in the middle there'd sitll be the same amount of light energy but most of it would be infrared, and the other end of the box would be pure infrared.

The construction of the box would be something a metre or two long from whatever I find, probably placed out in the back yard with clear plastic covering a third of the box, and the other two thirds covered by aluminium foil painted black. Covering the furthest third of the box from the light end would be some kind of makeshift solar cooker, intended to put lots of warmth into the foil which would then radiate as infrared into the box.
To make sure light doesn't easily scatter all the way to the dark end of the box, there will be little clearance between the soil and the ceiling of the box. (Can I also paint the foil black on the underside too, or will this reduce infrared emissions?)

The box would be placed into a very shallow (perhaps 1cm if the soil in the box is 3cm deep) ditch that would be a few centimetres larger than the box, and I line that ditch with plastic, so that I can simply keep it topped up with water to keep the soil damp.

Finally, I would start some moss growing at the light end of the box, and to thrive the moss will have to adapt to gradually lower frequencies of light.
>>
File: chem.png (47 KB, 597x165) Image search: [Google]
chem.png
47 KB, 597x165
What is P*? It's nowhere in my textbook and I can't find it online. This is for thermodynamics.
>>
>>7682234
Hmm, I suddenly realised a problem in this experiment: At no point is light that is almost but not quite in the visible spectrum abundant. I think that in the middle third of the box, I need a gradient of light that goes from low red to medium infrared, so that the moss has a chance to adapt to every frequency of light on the way to the natural infrared light.
I have no idea how to create that gradient out of household stuff though.
>>
>>7682237
Could it be that P is the solution pressure and P* is the vapor pressure?
>>
>>7679121
can't use gauss' law because singularity at r = 0
>>
>>7682234
After doing a bit of study, I've found that changing the absorbtion spectrum would require changing the structure of chlorophyll, nothing more or less.
Since that means a single mutation could make massive progress, if not all the progress, I've decided to make a revision of the experiment so that numerous (100+) samples of a plant are subjected to high amounts of infrared light, medium amounts of deep/sub red light, and low amounts of normal spectrum light.
Any sample which grows much faster than the others would apparently have the ability to utilize unusual wavelengths.

But how easily does chlorophyll mutate? Could I increase rate of mutation with a UV light?
>>
T:M22---->M22 with p(T)=4

If TA=[ null matrix 2x2 ] then A=[null matrix 2x2]

True or false? Also, I'm not sure anymore what p(T) is supposed to mean, I thought it was the characteristic polynomial, but the it should have variables instead of being just a 4 shouldn't it?
>>
>>7682413

>But how easily does chlorophyll mutate?

Nigger stop trolling.
>>
>>7682419
Given that there's chlorophyll a, b, c1, c2, d, e, and f, apparently it can mutate.
>>
File: 1436901067249.png (216 KB, 432x413) Image search: [Google]
1436901067249.png
216 KB, 432x413
Hello, anyone with medical expertise here?

I wanted to know why I haven't gotten sepsis or blood poisoning yet. You see, when I take huge, violent shits (think hungover shits with fried foods) sometimes I rip my asshole a little bit, and some blood comes out. This blood comes in contact with poo poo, and every time I'm afraid I will die, like smearing poop on a papercut on your finger.

Are white blood cells stronger on asshole? Should I worry?

Thanks in advance
>>
>>7682425
the genes of the enzymes that make chlorophyll can mutate. plz be precise here.
>>
>>7682602
duh those are veins no arteries
>>
>>7682605
Well, of course that's how it's going to mutate, it seemed redundant to point it out.
Unless there's some implications of the difference that I'm not aware of, because I suppose that an organism that had the chlorophyll type it produced mutated would end up having the change occur to it rather than only offspring.
>>
How does adiabatic heating work? If no heat is transferred to a system, how can the temperature increase if dQ=MCdT?
>>
File: 1448522195100.png (156 KB, 432x413) Image search: [Google]
1448522195100.png
156 KB, 432x413
>>7682602
I could not help but notice your png was not optimized anon.
I have optimized your png.
Your png is now optimized.
>>
>>7682860
love you
>>
>>7680955
[math] a_n = (-1)^n = {1,-1,1,-1,........}
it never converges, it jumps.

Also, any linear algebra book, that holds my hand and makes me get to grips with it?
I don't have internet everywhere available, so I need to use my e-book reader
>>
this may be a dumb question but

why are millennium problems unsolvable? I understand that they require new concepts in mathematics to solve, but how do these problems go hundreds of years without being solved?

and for stuff like P = NP, how could you even prove they are or are not equal? would finding even one algorithm that could be solved and verified in polynomial time be enough to imply P = NP?
>>
What language, aside from English, is most useful to know in academia nowadays? Was debating between German and Japanese.
>>
File: 1447142644722.jpg (407 KB, 869x873) Image search: [Google]
1447142644722.jpg
407 KB, 869x873
What's the highest ac frequency can a wire 'handle'? Is there a limit? Disregard how the frequency is achieve
>>
>>7683116
None everything is english
>>
>>7681962
>>7681994
Yes to the vector sum, but intensity usually means power per area.
>>
>>7683093
sorry [math] a_n = {1,-1,1,-1,....} [/math]
>>
>>7683116
German. Go ahead.
>>
>>7678910
I'm basically learning math from tard level up because I never put any effort into school pre-college.

I'm taking pre-algebra/algebra class and I'm doing well. I found out I actually enjoy this, and I'd like to learn calc and beyond eventually.
Is it worth it to take all the time that will delay getting my degree to do this?
>>
File: Fundamentals of convex analisis.png (119 KB, 530x756) Image search: [Google]
Fundamentals of convex analisis.png
119 KB, 530x756
Hey, >>7680930 here, after searching I found this proof, but I still have two questions:
-Why can we assume at the begining that [math]\bar{d}^{'}_{j}=( \bar{d_1}, ... \bar{d_k}, \bar{d_j}e^{'}_j )[/math] is a direction?
-How do we know there are no directions like, for example, [math]\bar{d}^{'}_{j}=( \bar{d_1}, ... \bar{d_k}, \bar{d_j}e^{'}_j,\bar{d_p}e^{'}_p )[/math] ?
>>
>>7681128
Derivatives may not always be defined for a general function.
Got a specific example?
>>
What natural process keeps acidic gases out of the atmosphere?
>>
>>7683303
>Pre algebra
>college
I'm sorry, but probably not. It'll take about 4 semesters to get to Calc 1, at which point you'll be hopelessly behind unless you take a huge number of units per semester.
>>
>>7683749
I don't really care about how long it takes me to get my degree.
>>
>>7683749
It would be 3 semesters because the class I'm taking is elementary alg. and pre-algebra together.

Either way, I have to take an extra semester at CC because I don't have the time to take 5 classes like my school recommends and when I transfer to a University my pre-alg/elementary and intermediate credits won't transfer so I'll need an extra semester on top of that to have the credits for a 4 year degree anyways.
>>
>>7683771
It's gonna take like 6 years for an undergrad
>>
>>7683794
>>7683792
That's on par with most college students.
Something like 19% of student get their undergrad in 4 years.

I wouldn't sweat it, anon.
>>
Can a space be incomplete for reasons other than cauchy series converging to a "bigger" space that contains it (like series in Q converging in R)? Can there be some magical property of a space that makes the cauchy series not converge for other reasons?
>>
>>7683798
Uwot
My program for engineering forces us to graduate in 4 years or less, unless we take on a double major (we get an extra semester).
>>
>>7683807
http://completecollege.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/4-Year-Myth.pdf
>>
>>7683809
I know, I'm just saying that a lot of programs require you to exit in 4 years.
At least at Cal. Could be different elsewhere at less impacted schools.
>>
Most functions you'll see are the sum of an even and an odd function:

f(x) = [f(x)+f(-x)]/2 + [f(x)-f(-x)]/2

square this and you'll see that the condition for the square of a function to be even is that:

[f(x)]^2 = [f(-x)]^2

this is clearly satisfied by a completely even or completely odd function to square to an even function.
>>
File: 1447906866573.gif (2 MB, 430x440) Image search: [Google]
1447906866573.gif
2 MB, 430x440
When re-writing the equation of a hyperbola into standard form, how do I know whether to use x + y, x - y, y + x, or y - x?
>>
>>7683806
Nah, actually you can always construct a bigger space such that all Cauchy sequences converge (actually, it can literally be constructed as the space of equivalence classes of Cauchy sequence under the equivalence relation [math](u_n) \sim (v_n) \Leftrightarrow (u_n - v_n) \rightarrow 0[/math])
>>
>>7680420
What do you mean by sparced? I think stewart treats me just fine for calculus desu
>>
File: 1445276130189.png (316 KB, 500x313) Image search: [Google]
1445276130189.png
316 KB, 500x313
i'm not a stem major, but even if I was.
How useful is linear algebra?
Not the linear algebra/differential equation course that ends the math sequence for most engineers, but the higher lever intro to pure linear algebra.
>>
File: LGG.png (62 KB, 922x286) Image search: [Google]
LGG.png
62 KB, 922x286
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXeUvEVZ3mg

This guy claims his miniature light gas gun can achieve a muzzle velocity of 500ms+. Apparently it works by compressing low-n nitrocellulose separated from the projectiel by a membrane until ignition with a potassium ferricyanide/potassium chlorate charge.

Is it bullshit, and if not, is there any reason for example a cannon shell or recoilless rifle cartridge couldn't be constructed with all those components sans the barrel to achieve really high muzzle velocities?
>>
>>7684763
Almost all upper level math requires a handle on linear algebra. We understand linear algebra and it's easy, so we try to reduce harder questions to those about vector spaces.
>>
>>7684763
Linear algebra is one of the more promising ways modern mathematicians try to approach the long-standing unsolved problem of triple integration.

It's gay as hell when you compare it to functional analysis
>>
>>7684833
don't listen to this troll
>>
Is 1/sqrt(ε*μ) the most accurate way to describe the speed of light? If not, what use does this form have over the measured instances?
>>
>>7683806
Well in way you can think of a cauchy sequence that does not converge as it converges to something but that something doesnt belong to the space you are talking about. Thats not exactly correct, I mean this could be a totally abstract space in which we dont know anything said "limit" but like >>7684061
said you can construct a complete space in which your original space is dense by looking at equivalence classes of cauchy-sequences, so we always know in this particular sense there always is some element that this cauchy-sequence converges to, although its not element of the incomplete space.
>>
>>7685111
>totally abstract space in which we dont know anything
Cauchy sequences are defined in terms of a metric. They are only well-defined on metric spaces. Metrics induce a Hausdorff topology and are sufficient framework to formulate limits. We know plenty about a set where Cauchy sequences make sense.

What the previous posters didn't mention is that a metric space's completion is unique to within a bijective distance-preserving mapping, so it makes sense to talk about *the* completion of a metric space X.
>>
>>7685159
What I meant by "know nothing about" was that just completing a metric space in the mentioned way doesnt give you much information about said space besides the obvious one that it is in fact a complete metric space. That is for example the reason you usally construct the space of integrable function as (Lebesgue-) measurable functions with a finite integral and not as the completion in terms of the L_1-Norm - the later gives you some very strong convergence results (e.g. Lebesgues´ Theorem, Monotone convergence and Fatou´s Lemma) which you only obtain because you have additonal knowledge about the elements of said space.
>>
>>7685209
I meant the former (as constructing the space via the Lebesgue measure), not the later, sorry.
>>
>>7678910
Why couldn't some form of fibre optic display be used for flexible screens?

I can't think of an obvious reason cables couldn't be modified somehow to let light shine out on two sides, the only thing that would be difficult would be sending the right color light down the right cable but it seems like that could be fixed with some kind of colored lens.

I know it's dumb as shit but why wouldn't it work?
>>
>>7679054
whatabout a full house
>>
Need some help with this probably too trivial problem.

[math]\dfrac{\dfrac{1kgm}{s^2}}{m^2} = \dfrac{1kgm}{m^2 s^2} [/math]
now it is simplified.
Why and how?
THis kind of manipulation is important for my coming homeworks in analysis.
>>
>>7686191
> [math] \dfrac{ \dfrac{1kgm}{s^2}}{m^2} = \dfrac{1kgm}{m^2 s^2} [/math]
>>
>>7681261
If pi=3 therefore in thrid line you are multiplying by zero. And multiplying by zero is a well-known way to reach completely false and illogical solutions.

Also, in reality you have two variables in that problem, since to begin with you assume that you don't know the value of pi. I guess that the reason why the second unknown quantity is named pi and not, for example, "y" is to make people think that the equation has something to do with the actual value of pi.

So since you have one equation but two unknown quantities, only by multiplying by zero it has been possibly to find one solution for X and "pi", when you have ∞ (one value of "X" for every "pi").
>>
Any tips on writing a good scientific paper? What do you normally include in the introduction,method? ect. This is for Physics btw
>>
>>7686191
>>7686193
[math]\dfrac{\dfrac{1kgm}{s^2}}{m^2}=\dfrac{1kgm}{m^2 s^2}[/math]

[math]\dfrac{\dfrac{1kgm}{s^2}{s^2}}{m^2{s^2}}=\dfrac{1kgm}{m^2 s^2}[/math]

[math]\dfrac{1kgm}{m^2 s^2}=\dfrac{1kgm}{m^2 s^2}[/math]
>>
>>7686478
Just read a bunch of the primary literature in your field and do what they do.
It's generally a good idea to use the introduction to provide context to your work. Don't go into survey-level detail on the historical background and recent developments, but do make sure to frame and show why your paper should be a welcome addition to the literature.
>>
>>7686575
Cheers man
>>
>>7686499
my humble, sincere thanks
>>
File: concerned neckbeard.png (85 KB, 270x300) Image search: [Google]
concerned neckbeard.png
85 KB, 270x300
I'm supposed to find where F(x)= e^x*cosx is concave and where it is convex. The double derivative of that function is;
F''(x)= -2*e^x*sinx, and that gives at F''(x)<0 when on (2πK-π, 2πK) (K is a Natural Number) and F''(x)>0 when not.
Doesn't that mean that;
F(x) is convex when x is between (π-2πK, 2πK) and concave when not?

The answer the book gives is that it's convex on (-3π/4+2πK, π/4+2πK) and concave on (π/4+2πK, 5π/4+2πK).
Why?
>>
This retard needs explanations!

[math] \dfrac{ (n-1)! k! \cancel{ (n-k-1)! } + \cancel{ (k-1)! } (n-k)! (n-1)!}{ \cancel{ (k-1)! }(n-k)! k! \cancel{ (n-k-1)! } }[/math]

then we have:

[math] \dfrac{ (n-1)! k! + (n-k)! }{ (n-k!) k!} [/math]
it should look like this in the end
[math] \dfrac{n(n-1)!}{k!(n-k)!} [/math]

Sadly I do not know what to do with the k! and (n-k)! on the numerator's side
>>
I am just ranting, hoping I am not alone.

Maybe, it's because I am not really smart, but there are a lot of calculations in a proof, that are skipped or not explained in the rigor I need to understand what the fuck really goes on.

I assume that is because I lack some fundamentals that is assumed to be known to the reader or something else.

All in all, I am a bit bitter that there's not at least something like:
[step here] | used manipulation there.

Is it too much to ask?
Or do I look in and work with the wrong textbook?

I am learning analysis btw.
>>
Does function having a derivative that is always positive (or always negative) imply that the function must _always_ have at least one root?
>>
>>7687945
No, for example e^x.
>>
From the Bose-Einstein states, we have the mean occupied number of energy states can be:

1/(exp^(e-u)/kt) - 1.

I'm curious that since the exponential can be less than 1, that this implies we can negative occupied states? What does this imply physically?
>>
>>7687933
Short answer is some writers prefer that method and other writers prefer writing out every little detail just as some readers prefer one over the other. I prefer to call them the Euclid way of doing it and the Aristotle way of doing it, the former constructing his proofs (or rather his demonstrations and constructions) in EXCRUCIATING detail and the latter often skipping entire sections of his proof.

Both have their up-sides and their downsides. With the Euclid way you guarantee that people with diverse backgrounds all have the tools needed to follow the proof, but the actual substance of the proof can get masked behind a landslide of minutia, most of which you probably know already. Leading to a common scenario where students follow and understand every step in a proof but have no idea why the proof worked and probably couldn't reproduce it.

Obviously it's not binary, it's a gradient of how much detail the writer wants to go into. But if you're having serious problems following the proof and spending too much time trying to figure the blanks that were left in, then it might be the wrong textbook for you.
>>
>>7686575
be concise
>>
>>7688118
for bosons the chemical potential is strictly smaller than the lowest possible energy.
>>
the gas in intergalactic space is really hot at some points, but also at a very low density. If something, say a rock or a human, is in contact with this gas, the gas will heat up the object until it reaches equilibrium (the temperature of the gas if there is enough of it). how will the low density effect the heating? by making the process slower?
>>
>>7688125
Is there one you could suggest?

I am at a loss honestly, because nore than just getting how it's done, I want to know why it's been able to proof.

I could write you a proof of the binomial sentence but couldn't explain what I really did ir what I really wanted to show you, because I really am not sure what it is I want to proof.....
>>
>>7688312
You need to learn what it means to prove something. Spend a few days on the Book of Proof. It's free online somewhere.
>>
File: 1448770368308.png (76 KB, 270x300) Image search: [Google]
1448770368308.png
76 KB, 270x300
>>7687527
I could not help but notice your png was not optimized anon.
I have optimized your png.
Your png is now optimized.
>>
I had a test today and had this problem, if Z=(1+i), show that Z´5 + 1/Z´5 is a real number, all the results i had were complex numbers, can some one point out the corect awnser?
>>
>>7689433
the hero we deserve
>>
File: z27kz7g.png (5 KB, 221x84) Image search: [Google]
z27kz7g.png
5 KB, 221x84
I'm getting mixed results from Wolfram, CalcChat, Slader, and the textbook on this one. The sequence function clearly diverges because of the n!, so how could it possibly converge? Everyone except Wolfram is telling me it converges, I just can't see how.
>>
File: Thumbs up.jpg (59 KB, 984x720) Image search: [Google]
Thumbs up.jpg
59 KB, 984x720
>>7689433
>>
>>7678910
How do you find out an undentified a in y=C*a^x
where x = change in years a = linear percentage, y and C = values
>>
Can someone help me with b?

I found a, which is Sigma n=0 to infinity of ((-1)^n (x^n))/(n+1)

but for question b, I don't understand what he's asking me to do.

How do I get a series of that function? pls help im lost.
>>
File: powerserieswut.png (2 MB, 2696x760) Image search: [Google]
powerserieswut.png
2 MB, 2696x760
>>7689858
forgot to attach my picture lel
>>
>>7689858
The integral operator is defined by the sum operator. You are adding up all the function outputs from -1 to 0. It's the same as summing it, starting at -1 and going to 0.
>>
>>7689493
You can rewrite the summand as [eqn](-1)^{n+1}\frac{2^n}{ {2n \choose n} }[/eqn].
Since [math]\displaystyle u: n \mapsto \frac{2^n}{ {2n \choose n} }[/math] is a decreasing sequence ([math]\displaystyle \frac{u_{n+1}}{u_n} = \frac{2(n+1)^2}{(2n+1)(2n+2)} [/math]) that converges to 0, the series in question is an alternating series.
>>
>>7690227
this is wrong, and frankly makes literally no sense at all, the series clearly fails the alternating series test because the limit of bn cannot be zero because n! will always be bigger than 2n-1, so it must be increasing. Therefore, by the nth term test, the series diverges.
>>
How do you calculate the inductor necesary for a booster?
Rashid says its (k*(1-k)*R)/2f and my proffesor says its (k*(1-k)^2 *R)/2f
Whos correct?
>>
I'm a math retard, what's a good site to learn Trigonometry? I'm studying mechanical engineering first semester and I really like it but this shit is killing me. I was a neet for a few years so I'm very rusty.
>>
Should I minor in mathematics? I'm an engineering freshman who took calc 3 this summer and did not encounter any difficulty. I need 5 more math courses for the minor.
>>
>>7691493
It's not a bad idea, I know a decent amount of people in the same boat but I'm fucking awful and barely got through calc/diff equs so I'm not trying to go through more than I have to.
>>
>>7691446
khan academy
>>
What's a cheap multimeter (under 30 or around 30) that I can hook up to a type K thermocouple and record via USB - LabVIEW (Ulx?)?
I've been looking at an HR90EPC
>>
is there a polar opposite to absolute zero?
>>
>>7678910
When the fuck will the Wendelstein 7-X be tested?
Wasnt it supposed to be before the end of November?
>>
Rec me a good book on conic sections pls :~)
>>
File: IMG_20151201_111245.jpg (3 MB, 1836x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151201_111245.jpg
3 MB, 1836x3264
Someone gifted this to me. Is this a good read?
>>
>>7691568
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absolute_hot
name is absolute retard
>>
>>7691493
5 classes is a lot of curriculum in an already difficult major.
you might have to be forced to devote your time into things youre not good at (ME is very multifaceted) and not have any free time for minors, unless you're okay with graduating in 5-6 years.
>>
File: wat.png (65 KB, 498x487) Image search: [Google]
wat.png
65 KB, 498x487
I never understood why light with higher frequency diffracts at a lesser angle but refracts at a greater angle compared with lower frequency light.
>>
How does one use Wilson's theorem ([math](p-1)!\mod{p}=(p-1)\mod{p}[/math]) to show that [math](50!)^2\mod{101}=100\mod{101}[/math]
>>
>>7691493

Do it, m8. I'm a double major in Chem E and Applied Math, it's pretty great for the type of engineering work I want to do. I'm also much better equipped for upperclassmen courses in my engineering major; none of the math is new to me at this point.
>>
>>7691560
An update even though I don't think anyone knows what I'm talking about.
http://www.amazon.com/Signstek-Channel-Digital-Thermometer-Thermocouple/dp/B00FFYEPVQ/ref=pd_sim_sbs_328_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=41L7wGmuUwL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=0H4WHQ98E3VDXF6AFBXZ
I know the thermocouples arent rated for 800+C but I already picked some fiberglass ones up. I'm curious about this things calibration though? I thought the ambient temperature mattered when calibrating thermocouples, its why i wanted to have a usb multimeter even though I dont really need the data collection. Overall the usb multi is a more sound investment as it can do more but theyre both chinese pieces of shit.
Help please.
>>
What's the point in going to college for math? Why can't you just buy books and work through the problems on your own to learn everything you need to know? I mean heck, all my professor ever does is give us problems to do in the book anyway.
>>
Could anyone tell me how do I tackle this? "Prove that for every positive rational number y, exists a rational number x where exp(x) = y "
>>
>>7692375

Not true? 2 is positive and rational, but ln(2) is irrational. In fact e^r is irrational for r rational and nonzero since |a/b - p/q| > 1/(bq) but from the series for e^r we can approximate e^r more closely.
>>
>>7693082
I made a mistake, it should have been for reals instead of rationals, both places. Anyway I solved it. But could anyone tell me how to prove that when An is a monotone decreasing Sequence and converges to 0, and the Series Bn has bounded partialsums than the Series Bn*An converges?
>>
>>7693087

Summation by parts, it is in Rudin.
>>
>>7693093
Thanks anon!
>>
>>7693093
Oh man, it's just the thing i needed. i hope that every girl you choose sucks your dick! Or something along those lines.
>>
>have a linear transformation
>find the matrix that represents it
>have to find the kernel, image, v(T), and p(T)

I have no idea what v(T) and p(T) are. Given the context, what things could they be?
>>
File: duuuh.jpg (23 KB, 527x346) Image search: [Google]
duuuh.jpg
23 KB, 527x346
Not just a qtddiot but a stupid one for a dummy.

I'm just learning the basics of physics from online lectures and the lecture I just heard I didn't totally understand, They're describing time dilation and in an example, a person in a ship went to Andromeda, and apparently if they went close enough to C they'd get there alive and depending on how close to C they'd travelled at it would have felt like an hour/day/whatever to them.

But doesn't a photon for example take 2 mil years? To the photon does it 'feel' instantaneous?

Thanks
>>
>>7693181
the characteristic and minimal polynomials maybe?
>>
How do I find the moment of inertia of a cone with respect to the z axis? I haven't been to class and I can't find anything about it on the textbook,.

I know im gonna use the integral x^2 + y^2

The professor gave us the density. Radius is a and height b with the vertex at the origin.

I really don't know how to set this up If someone could give me some guidance, I will appreciate it.
>>
>>7693244
You don't know what a moment of inertia is. Read the definition carefully and see several examples in general, not specific of cones.
>>
>>7679045
Please tell me there's sauce on this, anon

I'm having trouble implementing fractal flames into mathematica (not homework, I just want to get gud at it). All I know is there has to be a more efficient way than doing everything in a Do method. Currently I have a NestList with a RandomChoice function selecting between different variation functions weighted by probabilities, but since NestList applies just one function to a parameter, I don't know how to calculate the color each iteration within the NestList. Maybe I'm on the wrong track or I'm just retarded
>>
>>7693283
Yep, I'm terrible at explaining so here's a couple links
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transformation_matrix
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/RotationMatrix.html

And they go perfectly with iterated function systems
http://ecademy.agnesscott.edu/~lriddle/ifs/siertri/siertri.htm
>>
when testing for an energy conservation violation in decay products am I to only consider the rest energy of the particles?
>>
>>7693340

Honto ni arigato senpai
>>
>>7693250
okay so this is what I did.

I converted the integral to cylindrical coordinates so I end up getting density(tripple integral of r^3 dzdrdtheta

integral from 0 to b for dz
integral from 0 to a for dr
integral from 0 to 2pi

I end up getting given density ((piba^4)/2)
>>
here
>>7693490
this question, not sure why there are two threads
>>
>>7693219
Just one bump on this. Any physicsfriends know how to sum this up in retard language?
>>
>>7693530

It's like riding a pony in a merry go round and watching people move really fast.
>>
>>7693530
You're right, photons do not experience movement through time, as they travel at c.
>>
>>7693550
;_;

>>7693562
So it's true that if we could make a ship that travelled at 99.99999 etc percent of C we could reach distant galaxies quickly?

But if we went back Earth would be pretty much dead?
>>
>>7693578
Theoretically, yes. Going that fast takes lots of energy though.
>>
>>7693582
Huh.

Still don't understand how the speed has an effect on time, but I'll have to listen to it again anyway.

Thanks.
>>
>>7693595

Faggot I already explained it to you with ponies. It's like when The Flash runs really fast and everything else seems to be frozen.
>>
A rocket has been placed in an orbit h = 300 km above the surface of the Earth.

2. The rocket is almost out of fuel, but it needs to catch up to a satellite that is in the same orbit, but on the opposite side of the Earth (π out of phase). Astronauts decide that the most efficient way to catch up is to lower the rocket’s height by a small δh h. Algebraically, as a function of δh, h, RE, ME, and G, how much less time does each of the rocket’s orbits take (relative to the satellite which orbits at h above the Earth’s surface)? [It’s sufficient to expand to lowest non-vanishing order in a
small quantity such as δh
h or δh
RE .] How long (algebraically) will it take
for the rocket to catch up to the satellite?
>>
>>7693607
anyone? i know it's generally frowned upon for homework help but i dont even know where to start with this.
>>
>>7693623

You should probably model it on KSP and play with some values to see what happens. That would probably be a nice starting point.
>>
>>7692113
No one will believe that you can do math without a piece of paper that says you can.
>>
>>7693595
It's a logical conclusion from the fact that light travels at the same speed in every reference frame. You should definitely study up a bit on special relativity, it's super interesting and doesn't require any difficult math to understand.
>>
>>7693709
But what about all the muh nobody gives a shit about school in the real world and all a degree is a piece of toilet paper and muh degree is the skills you learn not the credential talk?
>>
>>7693728

>degree is a piece of toilet paper and muh degree is the skills you learn not the credential talk

I know right, people with no degrees get the good jobs all the time. It's 2015, why even study anything after high school?
>>
>>7693740
B-But what about muh MOOCs and OCW and muh Scott H Young and trade school graduates earning more and Indian guy who got into MIT without going through high school?
>>
Hi /sci/
I need to prove that [math]
det(C(A)) = det(A)^{n-1}
[/math], A being an n,n matrix and C(A) being its comatrix. I honestly have no clue how to do this. Can you give me some pointers?
>>
>>7694024
Use A.C(A) = det A. Id.
>>
File: wtf.png (30 KB, 344x106) Image search: [Google]
wtf.png
30 KB, 344x106
What's going on here?
>>
>>7694040
Isn't the answer simply 1:3:5?
>>
File: Scan_20151202.png (153 KB, 779x303) Image search: [Google]
Scan_20151202.png
153 KB, 779x303
>>7694033
?
>>
Reposting from /chem/ because that thread is dead as fuark. Question on Molecular Spectroscopy.
If you have a molecule with several different atoms, is the emission spectrum from that just the spectra from each of the constituent elements, plus a few peaks in between because of rotational/vibrational energies?

It's surprising how little I can find about this on tinternet.
>>
Series a(n) has 2 partial limits. Series b(n) has 3 of them. Can the series a(n)+b(n) converge?
I think not because I couldn't find an example, but I don't know where to start the proof

plz
>>
>>7694217
What's a partial limit?
>>
which one is symbol for into the page and out of the page? i'm getting the circle with a cross and the circle with a dot confused
>>
>>7694496
Think of it as though you're an archer shooting an arrow.
If its into the page, you'll see the feathers from the arrow going away from you (cross)
If its out of the page you'll see the pointy arrow head coming towards you (dot)
>>
How to determine [math]P^{k}\textbf{x}[/math] for a matrix [math]P[/math], if you can't find an eigenbase for [math]P[/math]?
>>
>>7694522
bump
>>
>>7694522
come on /sci/
>>
>>7681376
Yeah I just ended up doing the work myself, because the other members didn't seem to give a shit about getting a good grade 4/6 dropped, and for our last presentation, the guy I was left with didn't even do his half of the project till the last day (it was easy but he did it so last minute it looked really bad and unorganized and I had to edit it all within the last hour before presenting)
Thread replies: 189
Thread images: 27

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.