[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Markov Chains
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4
File: image.png (16 KB, 400x296) Image search: [Google]
image.png
16 KB, 400x296
What are the best books on Markov Chains
>>
>>7676664
Depends on if you're interested in statistics/math or in artificial intelligence.
>>
>>7676675
In the math side of things
>>
>>7676682
No idea. I'm a pure mathfag and I would recommend none of the stuff I've done from the math side of things (stochastic processes). It's all incredibly boring compared to the AI stuff, in my opinion.

Good luck OP.
>>
File: 1446994244640.jpg (23 KB, 350x499) Image search: [Google]
1446994244640.jpg
23 KB, 350x499
>>7676664
>>
>>7676695
What are the prerequisites for the book?
>>
>>7676683
I actually have no idea how Markov chains fit into AI, but I find them fascinating in the Math/stat world. How do convergent markov chains not fascinate you?
>>
File: killer-robot.jpg (31 KB, 450x361) Image search: [Google]
killer-robot.jpg
31 KB, 450x361
>>7676713
>AI
They're used all over alongside related techniques like Bayesian networks and (Partially Observable) Markov Decision Processes. A robot's decisions may be modeled by a list of states and transitions rigged up as a Markov Chain.

As for why the other stuff didn't interest me. It's more general but in a way that really only seems useful for boring stuff like finance. I don't know about you but I'd rather dream about making a totally awesome killbot than helping some rich guy become richer.
>>
>>7676706
I think you only need some elementary knowledge of measure/probability theory, e.g. what is a random variable or how to condition on a sigma algebra.
>>
>>7676664
I don't know about you but I see the female reproductive system in your pic.
I started to learn about markov chains in linear algebra so that's a good start.
>>
>>7676664
why is the market modeled by a uterus?
>>
>>7676826
I just read some basics about the matrices and probability vectors, what should I do now?
>>
File: 978-3-642-17905-1.jpg (11 KB, 153x232) Image search: [Google]
978-3-642-17905-1.jpg
11 KB, 153x232
>>7676842
Learn measure theory.
>>
>>7676856
What exactly did you learn about Markov chains in linear algebra?
>>
>>7676889
I learned that a stochastic matrix always has spectralradius 1.
>>
A good probabilistic book is >>7676695
>>
>>7676706
some linear algebra and a basic course in probability.
>>
>>7676695
I'm currently taking a Markov chains course with this book, we covered chapters 1,2,3 and 5. Chapter 4 is kinda unrelated bc it assumes measure theory knowledge and it's pretty advanced stuff. 1,2,3 you can do without measure but you should know how to set up a basic epsilon delta proof and be comfortable with probability(expectation, conditioning, generating functions, recursions, asymptotics). It's a hard class but it's very enjoyable.
>>
>>7676840
I saw that too.
>>
>>7676751
>than helping some rich guy become richer.

You could get rich too if you save up. Those quant guys really do have $300k (or more, more often than nt) starting.
>>
>>7679153
You can only become Quant through getting your PhD in math with thesis title like "The role of Banach Spaces in Modelling the Stock Market", right?
>>
>>7679161
Not really. All you need is to have a "hard science PhD" or economics in its defect, and be a beast at coding. The PhD is bc they want a guy with the research mentality, but in reality the core of the job is coding and finding algorithms.
>>
>>7679840
What do quants actually do?
>>
>>7679153
What's the point in being rich if you're doing a shitty boring job (look through the archives for the guys talking about working as quants, shit sux)?

Still, even as a quant you're job is literally getting a tiny cut after helping a dumber rich guy get way richer.
>>
>>7680377
I love math and I don't find it boring at all
>>
>>7680353
Quants model the financial market with systems of stochastic PDEs and solve them numerical.
>>
>>7680621
I want this to be my job
>>
Tell me more about Markov Chains pl0x I want to know EVERYTHING.
>>
>>7676683
Pure mathfag here wanting to learn AI. What books can you recommend?
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.