[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Jobs Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 9
File: 2000px-IBM_logo.svg.png (22 KB, 2000x800) Image search: [Google]
2000px-IBM_logo.svg.png
22 KB, 2000x800
Hello Sci,

I just got offered a job at IBM! Electrical Engineering major from state school in New England. Semiconductor test/characterization/22nm mumbo jumbo. 75k starting +5k sign bonus. Has anyone else heard back yet?

Lets hear what you boys and girls are up to.
>>
fuck off
>>
>>7673892
>75k starting +5k sign bonus
sounds a bit rich for that type of work. more like 45k-60k
>>
>>7673899
No, it really doesn't.
>>
>>7673892
Math grad from Texas state school.

Telecommunications project manger 67K plus 4-7K bonus.

Been working 6 months. Pretty sweet so far
>>
File: 150429-F-QP712-905.jpg (840 KB, 4928x3280) Image search: [Google]
150429-F-QP712-905.jpg
840 KB, 4928x3280
>>7673899
45-60? I make more than 60 as an intern for an aerospace company. I though 75 sounded kind of low, but realize I will need a ton of on the job training the first year or two.
>>
>>7673892
Third year undergrad in EE looking in the field of semiconductors. May I ask what you will be doing in more detail?
>>
>>7673899
New England has a high cost of living, plus massive companies like IBM can afford higher salaries. Seems legit, honestly.
>>
File: image.jpg (68 KB, 655x666) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
68 KB, 655x666
>>7673892
Well done, hot stuff ;)
>>
>>7673892
insurance companies in my area all start around $60k
>>
>>7673892
Congrats! I know the feeling: I've accepted at 62k + 5k signing offer for a software engineer position at a local place I love. It's (my idea of) the perfect company.

Considering three years ago I was working in a warehouse and hating life, I'm pretty happy.
>>
yo OP how the fk did you do the 3 stage test man, i am scared to take it!
>>
File: jobs.jpg (189 KB, 190x1454) Image search: [Google]
jobs.jpg
189 KB, 190x1454
last weeks applications
>>
>>7673892
Do you have any advice for anons just starting uni?
>>
>>7674141
> Application carpet bombing
I have never in my life met someone who got a job that pays more than $10/hour through an online application.

Career fairs. Trade shows. Conferences. Meet the people you want to work with face to face and have an intelligent conversation. The only acceptable reason for sending a cold online application is if you have experience in the industry and were recently laid off. In every other case you should be soliciting a job through people.
>>
>>7674150
cant exactly do that while going to school and applying to jobs 2000 miles away
>>
>>7674156
and anyone you talk to at career fairs tells you to apply online as well anyway
>>
>>7674144
Intern early and often. You can be forgiven the summer between freshman and sophmore years, but your other two summers should be spent interning. Research projects with faculty are acceptable substitutes, but internships are preferred. Intern during the semester too, if at all possible.

DO NOT, under any circumstance, accept an unpaid internship. Ever. No matter what. Aside from contributing to a cancer, it's professional suicide: you are advertising that your time and effort have no value whatsoever. Similarly, demand a wage that's indicative of the field: don't go into an engineering internship whose entry level positions pay 60k and ask for $7.50/hour. That's an insult, and it indicates that you're both desperate and uninformed about the field. Ask for $15-20/hour instead. It's still far below starting salary, which is expected in an internship, but it's high enough that they'll take you seriously.
>>
>>7674156
> cant exactly do that while going to school
Dafaq? Yes you can. Hell, it's much, much harder after school. Universities are where most career fairs are located to begin with, and being in school is the one excuse you will ever have for not having experience.

>>7674157
Of course they do. It's how they manage records. A few days after the job fair, they're going to sit down at their desk with their list of names and emails, find which ones are in the application pool, and ignore everything else.
>>
>>7674140
That damn test was so hard! I have never been very good at standardized testing (162 math, 157 verbal, 5 writing gre) but the IBM test was by far the hardest thing I have ever taken due to the very strict time constraints. Thankfully my future boss said he wouldn't even look at my score because he knows it's bullshit, so I wasn't stressed. Good luck to you!
>>
I went to a university careers event recently and realized how utterly fucked I am on the job front. Second year student so I'd really like some relevant work experience over the coming summer but it isn't looking great. It doesn't help that I spill spaghetti everywhere when talking to people. I'm doing physics/materials science and I don't even know what I want.
>>
>Physics:
Consider doing a masters in EE, Mech, Aerospace or Nuke ENG

Suck a dick to become a junior qaunt

McDonald's is probably hiring
>>
>>7674786
Work experience is so fucking hard to get and is quickly becoming the minimum requirement for a STEM job.
>>
>>7674786
CAREER FAIRS
A
R
E
E
R

F
A
I
R
S

For anything other than seniors, it's for internships. For seniors it's for full time. Go anon. You missed it this semester next one will be in February.
>>
>>7673892
Airbus, stress engineer in F&DT, $40/hour, no benefits except for the 6 major holidays and a yearly bonus. It'll be three weeks tomorrow!
>>
>>7674986
Very nice! First job? Personally I really disliked all of the bull shit paperwork of aerospace and defense after working two summers. Test engineering seems to be a pretty good gig though, relatively speaking. Good luck! That's a lot of money.
>>
>>7674066
I know you are probably not still around, but in case you check back in... Semiconductor characterization. So basically 1/2 of all of the chips that are made fail the very first test, so it will be my job to characterize these failures and work with a number of different people on trying to improve processes and reliability.
>>
>>7675153
Yup! Forgot to include
>BS in ME from state school
>Working on MS in AE from same state school

>That's a lot of money.
More than I know what to do with, especially in the Midwest. I wish they'd pay for my Master's, but I can't complain.

>Test engineering
Did a co-op in that, lots of fun, but not analytical enough (and pay wasn't good)

Advice to people looking for work: Just keep trying. I looked for about a year (started at the beginning of my senior year) before I got a real offer. I got turned down for goddamn process engineering, even tried to get a job in sales, but no dice. Finally, I resigned myself to doing another internship through my university, wound up being a position for Airbus, told them I wanted to work full-time, and that's exactly what they wanted and offered me the job on the same day.

Life's funny
>>
>>7675161
I'm guessing it's for a certain kind of chip for a certain product. So are you concerned with the circuit design of the chip or the physical properties that could be wrong with it?
>>
Can I ask for advice?

I want to get a career designing the electronic components on extraplanetary rovers or probes that are sent out like Curiosity and New Horizons and I am getting a degree in Computer Engineering.

Is it feasable to get into that field with a degree in CE?

Also, do any of you have advice on the best companies I should apply to?
>>
File: madison.jpg (27 KB, 400x358) Image search: [Google]
madison.jpg
27 KB, 400x358
>>7673898
This is what people are really thinking IRL, even if they don't say it.

Human nature is cruel...
>>
University career fairs are fucking useless. You just get told to apply online. Carpet bombing, via online applications, major engineering firms is the way to go. I applied to maybe 20 -30 places, ended up getting called for 3 interviews within about a month of when I started applying. Got 2 offers (and the 3rd one came MUCH later after I accepted one of the others).
>>
>>7673892
Didn't IBM sell off it's semiconductor business to Global Foundries? That said, don't go into semi, it is becoming (has already become) a commodity industry.
>>
>>7675676
career fairs arent useless, but they have niche usefullness. for a job in industry like one of the billion engr jobs it's not a whole lot useful, but when the national labs are on campus, thats when its important to meet with people face to face, because they send science/engr staff that you can talk to about research and your interests and shit, not just HR drones
>>
>>7674786
>I spill spaghetti everywhere when talking to people.
>I don't even know what I want.
You should not be in university. You are wasting your time and dooming yourself. Drop out, do whatever you want. If and only if you have a clear idea of what you want to do and the strong ability to socialize that literally every career requires, then go back to school.

You will never, under any circumstances, get a fulfilling job if you spill spaghetti talking to people. It is not possible. No recruiter will ever select an autistic sperg instead of someone who can carry on a conversation.
>>
>>7675629
My advise to you is this: never lose sight of your dream, but never pass up a good opportunity because you're holding out for your dream. Just don't. Even assuming you have the intelligence to work on space equipment, tens of thousands of others do too.

So, yes, for hardware design you want CE or EE, depending on if you want to design just the computers or be more general purpose. An EE can do everything a CE can do, the reverse is not true, but the CE is better at his job than the EE is. Do internships with companies doing embedded development, industrial machinery, anything that gets you touching hardware. By all means apply for NASA or SpaceX, but apply to many other places too, and take a position that looks good even if it doesn't involve space.

The television lied to you, dreams usually don't come true, but it's possible they might and you'll probably enjoy what you do regardless.
>>
>>7675676
This is so wrong it hurts. Companies hire who they meet in person. If no one they've met is interested and qualified, and if no current employee knows anyone interested and qualified, and if the 3rd party headhunters don't find someone interested and qualified, then and only then, do they look in the dreaded application queue.
>>
>>7675861
is that why they pay all that money to job sights like indeed, monster, etc. to publish and sponsor their open positions?
>>
>>7675866
>and if the 3rd party headhunters don't find someone interested and qualified
>>
>>7675848
That seems like terrible advice.
>>
File: Rocket.jpg (154 KB, 1024x683) Image search: [Google]
Rocket.jpg
154 KB, 1024x683
>>7673892

Congrats OP!

I am still a junior, but this summer I will be interning for SpaceX! I'm a mechE from a small engineering school. $25.50 an hour + overtime, which should be huge considering SpaceX employees work so many hours. I will be a structural analyst in the propulsion group, and hopefully they will give me a full-time offer at the end of the summer
>>
>>7675861
It's not wrong tho, in some cases. I've gone to two career fairs for UCLA students in recent years and the recruiters there just told all the students to apply online. I asked a few of the recruiters why that was and they basically said that they were only there to promote their company instead of to actually recruit.

This was the general purpose career fair at a fairly high ranking school hosting top name companies. Corporate America is apparently just falling in line behind the automation of hiring, as stupid as that is. They would rather let their software do the picking than actually talk to people.
>>
>>7677043

I had a similar experience at Cambridge.
>>
>>7677016
>>7675855
why would that be terrible advice?

is it not true?

if its true im gonna need a hell of a lot of xanax and speed
>>
>>7677207

Check who >>7677016 is replying to. It's not the other post you linked.
>>
>>7677210
oh, whoops. I meant to reply to him and the guy who said you had to be socially adept to get any career.

i sperg out and drop spaghetti so bad its hard for me to get even a basic wageslave job, like wal-mart. no one would hire me in retail, so I work in stocking.

as a kid it was always the stereotype that you just had to be smart and good at math to join STEM, and most nerds who did it were autistic anyway. seemed like the perfect field for me, but if not, I might as well kill myself now and save the trouble
>>
ITT : Murifags getting paid more than uk grads
>>
>>7673892
I got offered $135k straight after my PhD in compsci for a job in sf bay area. Is that a good salary for a research job, ameribros?
>>
I believe people should have access to information. I believe people should never quit. I am some one with many acomplishments but i feel like i have not done enough. I lied to the world stating that i have killed myself. That couldnt be further from the truth. The goverment made me turn with them instead of against them. I am sorry world for i have let you down. Just visting a site i use to love,

Internets boy
>>
>>7673892
I'm unemployed and feeling real depressed.
Listening to Little Motel.
>>
>>7678457
Anybody?
>>
File: job.jpg (56 KB, 825x367) Image search: [Google]
job.jpg
56 KB, 825x367
>>7674141
got some traction
>>
>been out of school for almost two years now
>can't get past interview stage because of crippling anxiety

What's the best way to an hero?
>>
>>7678775
kill yourself
>>
>>7678765
>P&G
Pepe & Goyim
>>
>>7678765
Well done mate, what is your degree in?
>>
File: 99e532d6_elektriek.jpg (52 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
99e532d6_elektriek.jpg
52 KB, 640x480
>>7678775
Helium. Just lock yourself in a smallish room and pour it on the floor (1 or 2 liters is more than enough, don't stand in it or it will be quite painful, just lay on your bed or something).
>>
>>7678457
>>7678493
No, because the cost of living in SF is astronomically high.
>>
>>7679288
nuclear engineering
i dont graduate till may and i just applied on saturday so i was surprised at how quickly i got a response. on my candidate profiles for some of the nuke jobs i've applied to my status is listed as "additional review" and i applied to some of them a month ago
>>
File: 1442357692284.png (51 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
1442357692284.png
51 KB, 1000x1000
>>7679302
>tfw I was going to do nuclear enginering
>tfw when I did physics instead

Feels bad man, I'll have to pray that the job market is good when I graduate. Good luck man
>>
>>7679312
You can probably just do a bridging program when you finish your undergrad, something like a semester of point deficit. I'm a physics undergrad and can switch to any EE MSc because of my minor. Look into the possibilities in your particular situation or talk to your university advisor if you're really interested.
>>
>>7679312
what do you want to do. i knew a phys graduate from mcgill who did a masters in nuke and is doing a phd in something like HED phys or nuke not sure what exactly
>>
>>7679324
Ideally I'd like to work in the Nuclear field, probably have to get a Masters into a PHD, which is a long haul.
>>7679321
I thought about this but I think I'd rather stay on the research side, problem is it is much harder to get on a decent Nuke PHD then a decent research position than it is to enter the field as an engineer.
>>
>>7679296
I wouldn't live in SF but in the south bay area.
>>
>>7675827
Yes, most sold off to global foundries. IBM still has some involvement and their own product lines.
>>
>>7677034
congrats!

>>7677043
I got the job at IBM through a career fair. 5 seconds after looking at my resume the boss pulled me into the back room and 60 seconds later he said, "you know what? Why don't you come on site next week and i'll introduce you to the dogs". I had an 8.5 hour interview the following week and was offered the job a day later. Extremely unexpected, but welcome! Moral: learn how to talk to people and go to your career fairs, even if they tell you to apply online.

>>7678765
good luck!
Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.