[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is data science a meme degree?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 5
File: mds.png (150 KB, 848x1200) Image search: [Google]
mds.png
150 KB, 848x1200
Is data science a meme degree?
>>
Just double major in cs and stats.
>>
File: you tried.gif (608 KB, 480x396) Image search: [Google]
you tried.gif
608 KB, 480x396
>>7671444
>data scientist
>sexiest job of the 21th century
I don't know where to start
>>
>wearing converse all-stars with a jacket and tie

Also, that term is so broad these days... It's just a buzzword, really. It used to be that they were called statisticians.
>>
>>7671444
so a data scientist is just a computer scientist that also does stuff in excel?
>>
>>7671444

what an autistic infographic

> story telling skills

top quack
>>
>>7671444
Holy shit I really don't want a job that would suggest I look like that beta faggot.
>>
>>7671849
If I were going to hire a data scientist, I'd take a statistician over a CS grad any day of the week. Math is a CS major's worst enemy. As soon as they get their piece of paper, they forget all about its existence.

Some of them might be good at writing and designing maintainable software that work using x framework. But most just roll their eyes and slam machine learning books close once they see the first partial derivative sign, and go to some github page and copy-paste whichever algorithm they want to "implement"
>>
File: CSCnew.png (331 KB, 615x599) Image search: [Google]
CSCnew.png
331 KB, 615x599
fucking memelords suck all the funding from the pure math department at my school to publish a billion meme papers about twitter.
>>
>>7671862
it just looks like a "nerdy" hipster faggot to me. I guess that's what's "in" these days.
>>
>>7671863
But a computer computer scientist undergraduate will have the opportunity study machine learning and neural networks in a lot more detail than a typical maths and statistics undergrad will, no?
>>
>>7671853
Keep reading. It gets worse

>Visual Art design.
>>
>>7671869
What makes you think that lol AI code isn't that hard you dont need epic algorithms and data structures to do. In fact there are so many open source ones I don't even think you need to know how to code to use one.
>>
>>7671911
Don't bother.Probably a CS student who is already one year in who didn't realize his degree is literally a meme.
>>
>>7671879
>>7671853
It ever occurred to you autists that there's more to producing value in a workplace than hard technical skills? If you work with data in business situations, you gotta be able to explain analysis to people using "story telling skills" and "visual art design", often to nontechnical people who need quantitative info spoon fed to them. If you think you're gonna be able to just walk into that skill because you know how to do the analysis by yourself then you got a nasty surprise coming at you if you ever have to do that for a job. It's a skill and a nontrivial one to actually explain that shit well. It takes skills that your STEM education has left dull af.
>>
>>7671853
This is actually not that far from the truth. If you have 10 petabytes of data to dig through no-one gives a shit how many pie charts you manage to cook up if you can't develop a correspondence to the real world.
>>
>>7671934
>>7671911
>>7671869
>>7671863

I'm a CS undergrad hoping to do research in machine learning algorithms and I've gotta say that CS majors in general are horrendous. Almost all of them complain about having to take even Calc 1 and then spend the five minutes before class bragging about how they stayed up all night playing League of Legends. I spend all my time with a prof from the Math department now.
>>
>>7671938
Postcolonial gender studies major detected
>>
>>7671945
Christ you're stupid.
>>
>>7671950
: ^=================================)
>>
>>7671953
...this little exchange actually reminded me of what boring place 4chan actually is. This place really is full of witless people like you, who can't even troll in an amusing way. I really should cut down on my time here.

Thanks for the moment of mindfulness, stupid stranger.
>>
>>7671853
>>7671879
>>7671945
I think this misunderstanding stems from the fact that "Data scientist" is a bit of a misnomer in this infographic.

A true data scientist is one who studies methods of data collection and analysis, whereas the person in the picture is an applied data scientist IE a data analyst / analytics programmer / statistician, etc. Analogous to how an engineer is basically an applied physicist . The person in the picture uses the tools to study data as a means to accumulate valuable information and make business decisions, rather than studying the tools that work on the data themselves. I think the term data scientist is misused a lot
>>
>>7671938
It's not that the communications skills needed to dumb down technical shit when dealing with others are worthless in the workplace. They're absolutely vital, but it the way that this inforgraphic presents these skills as "art design" and "storytelling" is retarded.
>>
>>7671966
And admittedly there are some points on the pic that are bullshit
>Hacker mindset
>Problem solver
>Influence without authority

And they made him look like a fag. Basically you chose a poor image OP
>>
>>7671444
No.
>Source: Data analyst, 6 digit paycheck with job security, benefits, now attachments to multiple large companies from shared projects. I'm set for life. Finding jobs and money will never be a concern for me again as long as I don't get in a horrible accident and/or become an alcoholic.
>>
>>7671976
the graphic was made by marketing people, relax. No need to get your autism in a knot
>>
>>7671979
can you tell me how you got there? What was the path to becoming a data analyst like? How would a lowly programmer become a data analyst? What math is required?
I know Java and the basics of SQL
>>
>>7671942
Should have done pure mathematics and then a masters in computer science with a specialization in machine learning.

The truth is that your curriculum only has machine learning as a one semester elective and that will not prepare you for a job in machine learning. So after you graduate you will still have to get a masters to actually do work in machine learning algorithms (profesionally, of course).

You would have gotten more out of your undergraduate education and learn the same at the graduate level.
>>
>>7671942
Your CS department full of nerds too?
>>
>>7671864
>pure math

hello reddit
>>
>>7671444
Schools have "data science" degrees? I thought it was just be math major/CS minor or CS major/math minor. Or something like CS undergrad math masters or vice versa
>>
>>7671444
physics is a meme degree now
damn you neil degrasse tyson
>>
>>7671942
You don't have to just hang out with loser freshmen bro.
>>
>>7671444
doesn't sound too much like a scientist. sounds more like a lab intern.
>>
>>7671444
Saw the list of terms in the thumbnail. Thought it was gonna be stuff like "cool red tie" or "cozy blue cardigan". Instead it's maymay buzzwords. Am dissapoint.
>>
>>7671444
>So what did you do in your 5 years of study?
>I learned what Bayesian inference is

Every degree but maths is a meme degree.
>>
>>7672030

It's evidently being pushed a lot. A few weeks ago I started seeing buses with big ads on the sides about the data science degree from a local uni. The rails have them inside the carriages too.
>>
>>7672030
Seems like those "Computer graphics" degrees or "Computer Security" degrees.

Usually it's better to just take a CS major and take the courses required for that niche.
>>
>>7671444
if its so sexy why cant i get a gf.
>>
>>7672595
There's "computer games" majors

Cringe
>>
>>7671444
Undergrad CS is a meme at this point. People take it with the goal of making the next big social media meme startup.
>>
>>7672033
physics has a shitload of dropouts for a meme degree
>>
>>7671964
Kek

We are making his experience and adventure on 4chan.org an unpleasant one
>>
So basically CS with lots of statistics. What a boring fucker
>>
>>7671911
>>7671911
Well I'm a statistics student and there's one module run by our department that goes through things like K-means, K-nearest neighbours, expectation maximisation, a few different bandit algorithms, ridge regression, gradient descent, SVM and ANN and some other related things, and compared to "full statistics" subjects like say Bayesian statistics or general linear models, I'd hardly say that the former module was less mathematically demanding than those latter two subjects I mentioned.

All those ideas I mentioned at the beginning are the bread and butter of machine learning , and I know that the computer science department at my university has full modules dedicated to artificial intelligence, databases, neural computing and machine learning , so they must surely have the opportunity to cover the same material in greater detail than us.

Oh, also signal filtering they have the option to cover.
>>
>>7672742
It's because they go in expecting it to be like watching Cosmos, as soon as they see that's it's brutal as fuck they get scared and run
>>
>>7672844
What's bandit algorithms? I know the other tools, but bandits I've never encountered. Where are they employed?
>>
>>7672029
>hello reddit

how fucking stupid are you? have you not seen all the memes around _here_ are about maths?
>>
>>7671816
>wearing converse all-stars with a jacket and tie

came into this thread to say this.
Apparently the genius can't figure out how to piece together an outfit
>>
>>7671444

>21th century

>21th
>>
>>7671816
knowing anything about statistics is probably too hard tho so they had to make up a meme term for people who took 1 stats class
>>
File: datascientist.jpg (10 KB, 121x133) Image search: [Google]
datascientist.jpg
10 KB, 121x133
muh bayes

frequentists btfo
>>
picture would be perfect with a "hiring for 900€/mo need experience" after the list of all the skills
>>
File: Aah47tb[1].png (117 KB, 320x263) Image search: [Google]
Aah47tb[1].png
117 KB, 320x263
> modern data scientist
> looks normal
don't fucking kid yourself.
>>
Most of those data scientists are borderline retards, even those memes PhD students. They are even worse than replacable code monkeys.
>>
>>7673051
>Apparently the genius can't figure out how to piece together an outfit
This just in. /sci/ is not /fa/shion oriented.
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.