[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Alright, /sci/. I'll come clean with you. I did badly in
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
File: oops.jpg (109 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
oops.jpg
109 KB, 1920x1080
Alright, /sci/. I'll come clean with you.

I did badly in school. I don't know the reasons that caused it, but I know a lot of reasons that contributed. Most likely cause, though, was I was an idiot who thought I was better than everyone else just because I was in gifted programs and reading way beyond my level.

But in high school, it all fell apart, and my GPA plummeted. Whether I blame the teachers or American education or shoulder the entire blame myself, I know the only person it falls to in order to fix it is me. So, I'm sorry. I swear I'm so, so legitimately sorry I was such a pretentious fuck who thought he could coast his way through life and expect to do all the fantastic things he wanted to do.

But enough about the story, I just want to ask a question. Since I've decided I will absolutely work towards bettering myself in mathematics and science, all I need to know now is where to start.

Let's assume I was just plain not paying attention since freshman year in high school and go from there. What do I need to learn to get to the college level of mathematics? Math has always struck me as something that branches into and loops out of its own branches dozens of times over - certain things need to be known before you can do anything useful. Where do I begin?

TL;DR: Fucked around too much. I'm sorry. Please tell me where I should start to get good at math.
>>
>>7671063
You made alot of threads about this today.
You think math will help you find a job that pays well. You think that going to college for it will land you a job automatically. In reality no. You'll never make it without a deep interest in math.

Take up a job and if you like math, study using the internet. What will separate you from the rest is ideas of applications. Like the inventor of a TV sale item. He needed to just make measurements using math for his prototype and then put it to use.
>>
>>7671063
You should start by reading the sticky you filthy fucking weaab.

4chan-science.wikia.com/

Sage, reported, called hiro.
>>
>>7671073
First thread, actually, but it does seem to be going around a lot.

I don't know exactly what job I want to do. Payment's not so much a concern for me - it's just that everything I'm passionate about requires a lot of math to really get good with. Robotics and space travel, mostly.

>>7671076
Er, thanks. I'll take a look.
>>
>highschool
literally what the fuck
>>
>>7671063
Why is this person not banned yet? Why the fuck have there been so many retards posting on /sci/ recently?
>>
>>7671105
>recently
>>
>>7671105
It's different people, they saw the oldfag thread then they saw that one fag took a chance and now they're all making threads.

They will be deleted soon just report all the shit.
>>
>>7671063
Hey man. I'm in your boat. I'm by no means stupid. My teachers always thought I was gifted. I always thought I was a pro skater/metal guitarist in the making. My gpa was literally like a .9 and that was 8 years ago. One year ago I started studying for college and right now I'm fully confident i've read and understood all my essential undergrad math and sciences and still had time to make my way through a bachelors' worth of psychology textbooks and the complete carls Jung and rogers, then I decided I don't want anything to do with that nonsense and now i'm making my third trip through "Spanish for dummies" thinking I might want to look at journalism and linguistics. Just took my sats last month and got an 1820. Pretty sure someone will give me a loan to go somewhere and get something that puts some letters by my name. You can do this OP.
>>
>>7671110
>>7671076
"How to get good at math" is if i'm not mistaken, related to science and math. I hope to science none of you ever become teachers. Discouraging someone who wants to get their shit together.
>>
>>7671121
My GPA was .3 or so when I dropped out of high school.

Shit was real okay. Just okay.
>>
>>7671085
Math is only used for measurements. Forget the theoretical maths. Engineering is what you seem to be interested in. It's all about ideas then refining them down to precise measurements using applied maths. Look into robo prosthetics for starters and check out the ideas then build on those for example.
>>
>>7671126
One: We have a sticky for a reason
Two: OP is in high school and obviously underaged
Three: This is not a TEACHING forum for Science and Math, this is a forum where we DISCUSS Science and Math with other people who are already familiar with advanced concepts in the fields.
>>
>>7671149
Reading comprehension big boy.
>>
>>7671126
>"How to get good at math" is if i'm not mistaken, related to science and math.
It's not. Pedagogy is off topic because it's not about the topic itself.

In addition this thread is basically a retard's blog who is asking for confirmation bias responses. It belongs on the /adv/ hugbox.
>>
>>7671154
>It belongs on the /adv/ hugbox.
/adv/ might net out as a hugbox, but its threshold for sheer hostility is much higher than any other board I've visited. It's a genuinely strange place.
>>
>>7671154
He is asking for a good place to start to get good at math. see>>7671153
At least he's not so stupid as to trust /adv/. Jesus fuck like what you people do here is so important. Go kill yourself.
>>
>>7671164
>He is asking for a good place to start to get good at math
Which is why I posted the wiki. If his post was only one sentence long with that question I would have been fine with the thread even though it belongs in /sqt/.

But this is clearly a blogpost meant to garner sympathy. Hence OP's story about being yet another retard who thinks he's smart because of trivially insignificant shit like "advanced reading classes".

Not to mention the constant apologies as if we give a fuck.
>>
>>7671149
OP here. Did a year in college - it kicked my ass. That's why I'm here.

>>7671171
Point taken. Simple questions it is - I guess I just didn't want people to think I was insincere. It's fine, you've got a point. Sympathy wasn't what I was after, but I can get why you'd think that.
>>
>>7671171
>>7671215
Actually, while I'm at it, the wiki really is where I should have started. I've gotten a better idea of where to start, so the question's answered. All I really wanted.

Seriously. Thanks.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.